Hat Rack Temperature

I have a few bluetooth thermometers that collect temperatures, humidity, and other data every few minutes.  I threw one in in the hat rack of the Mooney a few weeks ago. I knew that I'd have high temperatures on the ramp in Tuscaloosa (not on this view), but I was surprised by hangar high temps. Oof.

IMG_9676.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, not only is my hangar in Lower Alabama quite warm in the summer, but so was my hangar in Furthest West-by-Gawd, Virginny. Even my garage in both locations was quite warm, and stayed so much longer than outside. [Warm = sauna!]

Even my Georgia and N. Carolina garages were furnaces in summer, but no one thinks twice about parking a car in them. My Hillbillyngarage, like its predecessor in Central Ohio doubled for food storage in the winter, just cover left overs and set them on something flat.

Right now, I'm waiting on cooler hangar temps to pull the ceiling liner out.and reglue the material to the insulation. Naturally it's the piece directly over my head, the most difficult to get to . . . .

I’ve been sporting a couple of these. They can’t stop the heat but seem to help collect a lot of moisture. The only improvement I wish for is the on/off is truly an on/off. If it loses power, you need to hit the power button to recycle it.
8d4318d1520a3c6141a6521e98c58111.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 7/25/2022 at 10:14 PM, carusoam said:

The metal roof in Tuscaloosa must be blazing!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

-a- going into my hangar is unthinkable in the middle of hot sunny days.   The brilliant folks that built it years ago opted for no insulation.   The infrared radiation coming off the roof is just killer.  This summer has been unusually hot.  Air temperatures over 100F are uncommon.  More typical high temperatures range from 90-95F.

The hangar we're in seldom gets as hot as the data shown above.  I've never operated a temperature logger in the aircraft, but it doesn't seem much hotter than the hangar when I open it up.  When I don't fly during the humid time of the year I have a system that pumps dehumidified air through the engine.  Here's a data plot from last July/August showing about two weeks hangar air temperature and the dew point of the air being put out by the engine dehumidifier (Celsius).

August_7.png

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, M20F said:

I really question what if anything a dehumidifier is going to do in a hanger unless it happens to be insulated/sealed.  

It doesn't dehumidify the hangar, it dehumidifies the inside of the engine using a small pump to move dry air through the engine via the crankcase vent tube.  Does nothing to the hangar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

It doesn't dehumidify the hangar, it dehumidifies the inside of the engine using a small pump to move dry air through the engine via the crankcase vent tube.  Does nothing to the hangar.

I again question what is any value it brings.  Just me. 

25 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

It makes me happy.

there are people at my airport that put them in their planes and swear by them. Helps prevent corrosion I guess and keeps the inside leather and stuff in good condition... so they claim. 

On 7/31/2022 at 12:59 PM, M20F said:

I really question what if anything a dehumidifier is going to do in a hanger unless it happens to be insulated/sealed.  

I have a 3000 sq ft hangar, one big dehumidifier keeps it quite dry in winter, and I have a 2 ton inverter split unit that keeps it dry in Summer. The AC has a humidistat that’s set to turn on at 65% and off at 61% RH. It’s 77 F OAT now. From what I can find on the internet the graph for corrosion for aluminum gets steep for aircraft aluminum above about 65%, when I work in the hangar it can easily get the RH into the 50’s, but your not going to cool 3,000 sq ft with two tons, but you can dehumidify it.

Except for the door the hangar is decently sealed, it’s a concrete block building with shingle roof, but it’s not insulated unfortunately.

The pic is of the hangar temp right now at 0800 in Central Fl, I can’t show you graphs but high temp during the day in the hangar doesn’t approach 90F, usually mid 80’s max.

If I can keep RH to 60 ish easily in a hangar in Central Fl, then it’s not hard to do in most places in the US.

Second pic is the history of how many hours per day the AC runs, you can see it’s not much at all.

You don’t want to run a Dehumidifier in Summer as they add heat to the room, and if you get one, be sure to get a compressor model, the Peltier plate ones are very inefficient and don’t work nearly as well, and get one with a drain hose, and pump if you can’t drain it by gravity, the one with a pump of course pump out the tank when it fills. Usually you can put one on a shelf and let gravity do it’s thing.

49239658-6FB3-4BF2-B889-A1985395D6C7.png

29DC001B-3D74-4418-B469-4CE2B8CE38E8.png

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 8:09 PM, 211º said:

I have a few bluetooth thermometers that collect temperatures, humidity, and other data every few minutes.  I threw one in in the hat rack of the Mooney a few weeks ago. I knew that I'd have high temperatures on the ramp in Tuscaloosa (not on this view), but I was surprised by hangar high temps. Oof.

IMG_9676.jpeg

I wish I could keep mine that cool.

I go out to the hangar to work on some airplane every day at 4:00. When I get there I turn on the Mooney and look at the OAT. It usually reads 118 then I turn on the evap cooler. By the time I leave at 6:30 or so it is down to 105 in the hangar. Much better than 118.

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

I used to poo-poo (is that even a word?) the "dry heat" thing until I made several trips to Phoenix a few years ago.  Sitting outdoors in the shade in 80 degrees was a little chilly.

I had the alleged pleasure of visiting Tucson in June and August. It's a very dry heat, even when you can see a thunderstorm 25 miles away. Walking out to the car was like a pleasant stroll through my oven.

16 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I go out to the hangar to work on some airplane every day at 4:00. When I get there I turn on the Mooney and look at the OAT. It usually reads 118 then I turn on the evap cooler. By the time I leave at 6:30 or so it is down to 105 in the hangar. Much better than 118.

FYI a swamp cooler RAISES humidity.  So you are more comfortable, but the metal parts, not so much.

3 hours ago, Pinecone said:

FYI a swamp cooler RAISES humidity.  So you are more comfortable, but the metal parts, not so much.

No way! Is that how it works? I thought that 50 gallons of water I haul every day just turned to ferry dust.

With only a 20 amp service in each hangar AC is out of the question. It is either a swamp cooler or nothing.

Still, nothing corrodes around here.

• Like 1