• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


alextstone last won the day on May 9

alextstone had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

167 Excellent

About alextstone

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Hattiesburg MS
  • Reg #
  • Model

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I’ll pull the other data from the JPI when I am back to the plane to check but that flight was very recent. I would have hoped that there would be an indication of impending failure by then. Yes, I was aware of the TIT indication issue,. I suspect a loose connection. Paul already analyzed a recent flight for me inside my Savvy account about 6 or 8 weeks ago. At that time, no issues were found. I suppose the take home message is that there is no one data source that tells all. I
  2. Here’s the engine data link from a recent flight...
  3. I bought a borescope and I took photos of the valves about 100 hours ago. At that time, they looked normal so this damage occurred in the last 100 hrs. Your advice to look twice a year is appreciated and I will start doing that Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
  4. Last September, I took delivery on my 95 Bravo. At the time, it had 2420 hours TT and about 1100 Hrs since the last overhaul. During the past 10 months, I've had the following items overhauled: Prop Governor Turbocharger and wastegate main fuel pump one cylinder TKS pump entire exhaust system I've had a number of other items repaired or replaced as well. Last week, I took the aircraft in for annual. At the time, I posted a photo on the FB Mooney page and mentioned that I would be doing some of the grunt work. @mike_elliott, made the statement at the time to be sure to have a good look at the exhaust system. I responded proudly that the exhaust had been recently overhauled so we should be all good there. Well...herein lies the lesson to NEVER assume anything where aircraft are concerned. First, the number 3 cylinder failed the compression test. Then the borescope inspection revealed a damaged exhaust valve. This necessitated removal of the cylinder which in turn required the removal of the exhaust. Here's a look at the valve: During removal of the exhaust, it was discovered that a clamp that supports the section that connects the left and right sides was installed incorrectly, causing chafing which would have certainly led to perforation. The area that this clamp is installed is also the same area where the heater shroud is located so the cabin could have potentially filled with exhaust and CO. Moreover, the problem was hidden by the intstalled shroud. The clamp should have been installed to one side of the cable eye, not with the eye in the middle. This caused the clamp to be loose. Lastly, we also found a hole in the air duct: Lots to think about on this one...I am grateful these issues were discovered. Alex
  5. I did not see the two quirks you mentioned and as a matter of fact, I recently worked with GAMI to tune my injectors.... I wonder if tuning injectors can mask problems to some degree... Interestingly, I was seeing oil temps just a bit higher than last summer (205 - 208 degrees F vs 200 degrees last year) My AI wants to pull the cylinder and have a better look at the valve. He seems to thing that profiling might not be out of the question rather than a cylinder swap....what are your thoughts on this? Alex
  6. My Bravo is in for annual. The #3 cylinder failed the compression check - exhaust valve leak was suspected. That cylinder was running 20 degrees hotter CHT's (not sure if this is related). The borescope of the valve looks like this: I have a spare cylinder...just for this occurrence. My question (to stay on topic with this thread) is: Could the increased CHT be a symptom of this valve issue?
  7. Yep, I fly with high with an O2 saturation meter all of the time. I have a history of severe pneumonia and scarring as a result. I find that I must push more volume of O2 than the "standard" to get my O2 saturation to safe levels and I have to wear a mask starting at 17K feet.
  8. I'm probably out of line offering this but it seems to me that the whole thing was a little too well documented and narrated to have not been planned in advance. Care to discuss?
  9. Wow, Great introduction! Welcome to the Mooney family! Alex
  10. Yes, @flumag, that is one sweet setup! I called Aspen today to get an estimate of the delivery of my 1000 Pro MAX upgrade. I purchased the upgrade April 5th. I was informed that the new unit will be shipped the middle of September. Whoo Hoo! On another note, I asked the nice person I spoke with on the phone how sales were going. She offered that Aspen estimated they would sell 300 MAX upgrades and to date, they are over 1000! I hope that the positive trend continues for them. Alex
  11. I suggest you read Mike Busch's books in your spare time. He has a more modern approach to when to overhaul engines, etc. Basically, the premise is: Use all analyses tools at your disposal (modern engine monitor with data collection, data analysis service, oil analysis, borescope inspections, etc) then based on data, repair as necessary. If you apply this method to your issue, it might be reasonable to do the top overhaul or a complete overhaul but TBO is not the deciding factor...
  12. I've owned and flown both. I currently fly a '95 Bravo. The top overhaul at 600 hrs for Acclaims is no small issue, cost wise. I found the Acclaim generally easier to fly (no cowl flaps, mine had the GFC 700 autopilot, G1000, etc). It does perform better too but the delta is not enough to matter on most trips. The climb rate is impressive with the Acclaim and I miss that with the Bravo. However, the sweet spot for value vs speed and capability is either the Bravo or a 252. In general your bank account will decide for you.