AI decided to crap out, where to spend money

It seems like everyone’s favorite past time is spending other people's money so I thought I’d offer more of it. The AI died today. The DG is fine and the LO/HI vacuum lights aren’t lit so it doesn’t look like a vacuum pump issue.

With that, looks like I'm in the market for an AI. I don’t have an AP, the plane has a 530 non-waas. For a CB, which I’ll be proud to admit to, what are my options? Looking to start on IFR soon..

Overhaul the existing AI? Cost roughly?

Would a AV-30C dance with the non-WAAS 530?

G5, does keeping it in the Garmin family provide any benefits?

GL275 seems expensive and over the top, does it work with the 530?

Got a very tight budget, was not planning on doing avionics upgrade for another year or two… ugh but here we go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I first got into airplane ownership, I could get an attitude gyro overhauled for $250, Now it is closer to $900.

Unless you are going electronic, I would get yours overhauled. If you buy used, there is no guarantee it isn't a few hours from going out. They always make it 15 years or so.

• Like 2

Do you fly a lot of hard IFR? if so then maybe a new one is best.

In my limited experience these electronic instruments end up costing more than you think, and it seems that their compatibility with other electronics goes obsolete in awhile. 

Me personally I’m very leased with my 1980’s panel, it’s what I trained on back then, I’m familiar with it and it works today just as well as it did back then, and won’t actually be obsolete until after I’m gone.

I’ve had good luck myself with used avionics, but surely anything 40 years old isn’t going to be as reliable as new?

A lot of what drives me is money, I know that to truly modernize my panel would cost maybe $50K? And it will be considered obsolete equipment in 10 years.

My airplane is 40 years old and works today as well as it did then too.

I guess if you follow the modernization thing to it’s ultimate end, then only a new Cirrus will suffice?

• Like 1

cirro,

You may want to mention what you are flying… and what specific instruments you have…

Many 90s Mooneys all have the same instruments… and the DG/HSI may be electric…. :)

Timing is everything…

Vacuum driven instruments are going the way of the dodo bird…

OH is a great idea if your instrument is first run, and you like it… get it OH’d find local instrument shop, or send to a preferred instrument shop…

Going electronic is a great idea… Garmin has two instruments one lower cost than the other…

Going all in… Dynon, Garmin, big color screens…

Then there is my favorite…. See what is on the shelf at Alan’s avionics emporium….  Alan is known to have things like Aspens and other things that may be of interest…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

When My IA started crapping out , I replaced it with a G5 and never looked back. After a year or so that single G5 turned into a G5 HSI, Garmin 530W, Stratus transponer,ADSB,SL30, PMA 8000b, GFC500 AP, and a new panel to fit it all in, electric step from takair(memeber here), and removal of the vac system . Did i think that single G5 would lead into all that? No. Would I do it again? Yes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If you fly on instruments often I can recommend the G5.  If you don’t and also don’t anticipate any upgrades in the next few years the least expensive route is to get your AI overhauled.  Your local shop should be able to recommend a vendor that they use.  Mid-Continent is a big one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cirrostratus said:

For a CB, which I’ll be proud to admit to, what are my options? Looking to start on IFR soon..

I recently upgraded the AI in our C because I wanted one with a drop down suction warning flag.   The AI that I replaced is sitting on my desk looking for a home.  It was working fine when removed.  If your aircraft still has instrument bay access panels, swapping out an AI is easy.   If you are interested in it PM me.

A worthwhile upgrade in my opinion would be dual G5s. Its pricy though. Would sync really nice withy your 530 im pretty sure. The 275 is just a better G5 that has much better AP support iirc.

Otherwise refurbish your existing units. It will be much cheaper. 

How many hours to install the G5?

With the GA-30 antenna the G5 becomes WAAS certified? So can I then fly the LPV approaches independent to my non-WAAS 530? And would I be legal with just one G5 as the AI to do that? Thinking ahead to future IFR options..

cirro,
You may want to mention what you are flying… and what specific instruments you have…
Many 90s Mooneys all have the same instruments… and the DG/HSI may be electric…. 

Timing is everything…
Vacuum driven instruments are going the way of the dodo bird…
OH is a great idea if your instrument is first run, and you like it… get it OH’d find local instrument shop, or send to a preferred instrument shop…
Going electronic is a great idea… Garmin has two instruments one lower cost than the other…
Going all in… Dynon, Garmin, big color screens…

Then there is my favorite…. See what is on the shelf at Alan’s avionics emporium….  Alan is known to have things like Aspens and other things that may be of interest…
Best regards,
-a-

Hmm.. I like your way of thinking. I’ve seen some of Alan's FB advert posts but does he keep a website of available stock?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cirrostratus said:

How many hours to install the G5?

With the GA-30 antenna the G5 becomes WAAS certified? So can I then fly the LPV approaches independent to my non-WAAS 530? And would I be legal with just one G5 as the AI to do that? Thinking ahead to future IFR options..

iirc it took my shop a month to install the G5s, but i also got a few radios and other things installed at the same time. 

The G5 will NOT make the 530 a WAAS unit. The only way to do that is have garmin do it, which they dont anymore, or to trade it for another 530 that has WAAS. If you're looking for a direct replacement i believe the avidyne units are direct drop in replacements for the 400/500 series. 

If your going to start IFR training soon. And plan to use it on a regular basis for extensive travel.
I would shop for an Auto Pilot first and plan your other upgrades/replacements around that choice. All the better if you can get that installed prior to IFR training. You may as well train utilizing the same set up you will eventually travel with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I faced the same dilemma last summer. I went the dual G5 option and pulled the vacuum system.  It easily integrated with my Garmin 650 and shooting approaches is much easier.  Originally asked my A&P (who, like me is no spring chicken) about getting a refurb and he said you might get one year or five but something else will go wrong. Spend a little more and upgrade your technology.  

For me the investment was worth it. 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:10 PM, apriav said:

Get a G5, you will not regret it.

Its modular, many add on features, IFR flying easier with information shown.

Those are nice but I advocate keeping the vacuum gyro as a backup. Garmin has had SB’s for dual AHRS failures ontheir equipment.  Diversity in backup is critical (having sat behind two gi-275’s showing red X’s in flight). 
As a silicone valley software guy I guarantee you all the AHRS attitude indicators have software bugs yet unfound. There is no bug free software. 

On 1/15/2022 at 7:38 PM, cirrostratus said:

Hmm.. I like your way of thinking. I’ve seen some of Alan's FB advert posts but does he keep a website of available stock?

Every now and then @Alan Fox posts a list of available devices…

Inventory is always changing in this type business, keeping an updated list is probably a cost challenge…

Alan is pretty easy to speak with… or text…

Best regards,

-a-