GPSS - worth it?

So I've currently got a 530W and S-Tec30 w/alt hold.  Is it worth it to add GPS Steering to the plane? Will the autopilot fly a Hold correctly with GPSS? I understand it will make turns on course correctly. I'm just wondering if it would be worth the $3 or $3.5 AMU's to add GPSS to what I've got.

Every penny. Not that I'm lazy, but it frees me up to keep a careful eye on all systems all the time and not have to worry about upcoming turns. Just yesterday I was under the hood practicing approaches when it flew us from the airway we were on, through the entire procedure turn all the way to the missed approach point. The only time I lifted a finger was to press the APR button on the A/P when we arrived at the FAF.

The only thing I would suggest is shopping around for another estimate because our GPSS install came in at about $2,000 in 2012.

Edited by flyboy0681
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

So I've currently got a 530W and S-Tec30 w/alt hold.  Is it worth it to add GPS Steering to the plane? Will the autopilot fly a Hold correctly with GPSS? I understand it will make turns on course correctly. I'm just wondering if it would be worth the $3 or $3.5 AMU's to add GPSS to what I've got.

Which HSI do you have Paul?

11 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I place this in the "nice to have" and not in the "must have" bin. Certainly not 3500$ worth imo.

My preference is to stay engaged with the airplane and I don't mind turning the knob. It's really not very difficult! You have to turn the knob anyway unless you have auto-slew!

My GPSS is on of my top 5 "bang for the buck" items. With a KAP 150, Garmin 430 and GPSS, if I could know the departure, arrival and approach in advance, I could take off by hand, land by hand and everything else could be done by a few button pushes and throttle management. This includes a hold in an approach.

• Like 4

If you're going to spend thousands for GPSS, keeps saving and buy an Aspen.  You're 1/3 of the way there.  Combined with the air data from the Aspen, it's an amazing set up.

Clarence

1 minute ago, gsxrpilot said:

But I keep thinking if I'm gonna go Aspen, I really need to go two Aspens. And pretty soon we're talking about real money...

I'm in a similar predicament! I keep thinking G500 but waiting on G to see what they'll unveil next!

I have a Century 31 and a 530W without GPSS and it performs 45 deg intercept turns to ILS without overshooting. And then how many times ATC has asked to hold on a published race track hold. Typically they ask to hold over a fix that has no holding pattern, you just circle around. And then how lousy of a pilot you are that can't fly it yourself. You are better off spending $50 on a pilot relief tube than $2K on a GPSS.

José

• Like 2

If you can keep your Mooney under 250 Kts, GPSS is really not necessary.  

Just go ahead and try to pry my Cheap Bast$&d fingers off of that green button!

Three and a half years ago, I would have said GPSS is a novelty especially since how many times do you really fly a full procedure turn on an approach? As well, holds in GA happen but I've asked and gotten a trip visiting Timbuktu more times than doing a hold.

What it really excels at is following the flight plan so I have time to find more pictures of those fine ladies you all are so fond of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6

It is a great bang-for-the-buck addition, either as a standalone unit or with an Aspen. If you're a bargain hunter like me, it shouldn't be hard to find a used unit for modest money from someone upgrading to an Aspen...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk