Why a Mooney?

Rookie

People pay a lot more for "Art"...

That bike is definitely ART, but just sad that it is not being enjoyed by owner and others in it's gallery...

A twisty road with tree's on each side making beautiful music to be appreciated by all that hear it.

Half the beauty of that bike is the sound and feel..., but like all fine art it appreciates with time.

Massimo Tamburini was an artist. Ducati 916 has to be the finest looking sports motorcycle ever built. And judging on the number of wins, the best riding bike as well. It had less power than all the 4 bangers, but the smooth power delivery of the V-Twin made it so amazingly predictable out of a corner. I have probably 60,000 miles on a 916. Owned 3 of them. What a machine. Still own one. Never ride it anymore, though. Eyeing an older BMW R but probably not this summer.

• Like 1

Like most things Italian Ducati's are beautiful and they have done well on the world superbike circuit but since moving from 2 to 4 strokes I don't think a non 4 cylinder has ever one a championship in Moto GP (the epitome) of the sport.  For those that have never seen it even if you have no interest watch a round of Moto GP the  purest balance of art engineering athleticism and brute force you will ever see.

we will now return you to your regularly scheduled program

• Like 3

At least you guys aren't talking about tattooing the serial number of your Harley or your Mooney on your arm. I had a friend who had 3 serial numbers tattooed on his from his two knuckleheads and a panhead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least you guys aren't talking about tattooing the serial number of your Harley or your Mooney on your arm. I had a friend who had 3 serial numbers tattooed on his from his two knuckleheads and a panhead.

He probably needed to do that so he would have the numbers handy when he went to the DMV

• Like 1

Sure they weren't tatooed in another three letter word that starts with a?

• Like 1

I am married and a teenage son! I have friends that live in Colorado, Missouri and Dallas. We plane to go out to visit and spend time with them.

So three at 515lbs plus fuel. Yes some not so good weather will be flown through!

Rookie...typically a question like the one you posed initially (then followed by your statement that you want to own an aircraft) is interpreted as a "call to arms" that mobilizes this group to action...hopefully to educate you and help steer you in the right direction. If your goal is indeed aircraft ownership...whatever form that may take...a Mooney honestly cannot be beat, as others have stated. Although I've only been with this group a short time, I've been flying over 29 years. I grew up in an Air Force family, followed by a "Boeing" family, and can say without a doubt that I can't imagine life without flying or my aircraft. Saying it's an obsession is a gross understatement.

It might help this group tailor any answers for you if you could provide some background about any flying you may have done prior, what drove you to aviation (family involved in flying?), number of hours & types of aircraft flown, etc. Are you pursuing a Private certificate, and if so, how's that going for you?

Welcome to the group, and hope you stick around awhile...lots to be learned and exchanged here, so be honest and open and you'll discover a wealth of advice and counsel.

Regards, Steven

• Like 2

It could be bait, but...

The overwhelming response is a positive outlook on all things Mooney and how well they are used...

The secondary response is pictures of some amazing mechanical art.

The third response is the endless conversation of MooneySpace people...

I have a friend in Texas that keeps his Harley project in his bedroom. Small house, no garage...

To separate yourself from the 'bait-ers,' it helps to give some real data about yourself and what you are trying to do.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I'll snap a picture of my 916 I keep in my sunroom when I get home ;-) 1998, 1800 miles

I want to get a second Mooney, paint it just so, do the interior, new panel, shiny new engine, new prop - and then I will put it in my living room.  Well, I will have to have a contractor come out and extend the living room.  Then I can sit in that "house Mooney" and watch TV, or just generally relax in it.  Maybe I will take the rear seats out so I can sleep back there.  I'm sure my wife won't mind.

• Like 2

I want to get a second Mooney, paint it just so, do the interior, new panel, shiny new engine, new prop - and then I will put it in my living room.  Well, I will have to have a contractor come out and extend the living room.  Then I can sit in that "house Mooney" and watch TV, or just generally relax in it.  Maybe I will take the rear seats out so I can sleep back there.  I'm sure my wife won't mind.

Eric,

That's why I you need to buy a hangar house at Alpine Air Park. You can look into your hangar right from the living room and kitchen ;-) I'm too short on funds for a second house (aka wife wants to reproduce, I wish Scott was still around to explain to her that there is no need for any more liberals), but if you get one, I'll come over and visit.

refuge_at_alpine_airpark_46u.jpg

• Like 3

I am married and a teenage son! I have friends that live in Colorado, Missouri and Dallas. We plane to go out to visit and spend time with them.

So three at 515lbs plus fuel. Yes some not so good weather will be flown through!

I would look at a J or an F if I were you.

• Like 1

Rookie,

As others have stated, a Mooney (particularly the "J" or "201") is the most efficient 4 place production aircraft flying.

Also, as others have stated, not just in aviation but in all things, you have to know your objective before you can devise a plan.

1.  If your objective is to get the three of you a reasonable distance as efficiently as possible in a reasonable amount of time, I'd recomment the "J".  150 knots cruise, 17 NM/gallon, pretty easy to find one with a useful load of 950 lbs or so which with your weights and 120 pounds of bags will allow you to fly for about 4.5 hours and 650 to 700 NM and still land with over an hour of fuel on board.  My wife and I prefer to keep our flights to about 3 hours or less.

2.  If you want more speed, have enough money, don't care about being the most efficient, and don't mind sucking oxygen from a hose; consider a "K" aka "252" or one of the newer models.  At higher altitudes you will get closer to 200 knot speeds.  Also lets you get above a lot of the weather.  It would also come in handy in Colorado.

3.  If you want the speed, have more money, and don't want to suck oxygen, get something like a Cessna P210.

4.  If you have even more money, are willing to get all the training, you could get a Cessna 340A.

5.  Even more money, a turboprop or small business jet...

6.  Even more money....

Best of luck,

Bob

• Like 2

And don't forget the most important question of all; how much your passengers weigh. ;)

You make for a great front guy...

A picture is worth a thousand words. You need to show him why you are the Resident expert on weight and balance!

Simple dollar per dollar the cheapest to fly in its category. Fastest still in production, but to be honest not the over all fastest. Still very fast and affordable.

Who is faster in Class (production single engine recip retract)?

Like I said over all. In its class no other, but fastest I would say the bellanca super viking. But again it isn't in the same class.

The viking is a bit less than 11lb per HP. No other single has ever matched it, plus not so loud it will do aerobatics.

Like I said over all. In its class no other, but fastest I would say the bellanca super viking. But again it isn't in the same class.

The viking is a bit less than 11lb per HP. No other single has ever matched it, plus not so loud it will do aerobatics.

Wowwie!!!

WhatchatalkinaboutWillis???

Is it in class?  Or is it not?

Fastest?  Not a Cessna,,,   Not a  REALPiper,,,...

Not a Bellanca!!   Super or otherwise...

A new Mooney Aclaim!     Or go to the wayback machine,,,,

Really,,,   way back... 

and check out

A nother Al Mooney design,,,   A Piper Al Mooney Comanche ,,  400!!

the viking is an over powered dinosaur,,,   sooo thats nice. 

We all know that a Lancer will beat the pants off ANY new , or old Production plane made today!! 

I can find nothing to support that the Bellanca in any iteration is even closest to the fastest in class. Pilots gush about how they handle for sure, but I don't think any of them will even break 200kts (maybe a turbo at altitude). I don't think they will run with the large displacement birds from Mooney and Beech. I'm pretty sure some of the turbo centurions will walk away from them as well.

Wowwie!!!

WhatchatalkinaboutWillis???

Is it in class? Or is it not?

Fastest? Not a Cessna,,, Not a REALPiper,,,...

Not a Bellanca!! Super or otherwise...

A new Mooney Aclaim! Or go to the wayback machine,,,,

Really,,, way back...

and check out

A nother Al Mooney design,,, A Piper Al Mooney Comanche ,, 400!!

the viking is an over powered dinosaur,,, sooo thats nice.

We all know that a Lancer will beat the pants off ANY new , or old Production plane made today!!

Low drag, high load wing - It's not rocket science and it's not certified.