Has anyone ever puked in your Mooney?

201er

Pukey Poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever puked in your Mooney?

• Yes, me
    • Yes, others but it was my fault
    • Yes, others but they had a weak stomach
    • Never

Two memorable incidents,

Back in the 80s, living in Denver, my roomate and I took two girls out to dinner at the Convair 990 restaurant. On the way home, it was a little bumpy but not bad, when all of a sudden Doug’s girlfriend just massively hurled all over the back of by head! Yuck!

The other was in the 90s. I was working a U of A football game and three of the crew were riding along. This included a new guy that nobody knew. It was his first show. It was a hot bumpy Arizona day and about half way there the new guy just let go with a world class amount of hurl! It wouldn’t stop, he went on for a minute or so. It got on everybody, a lot! We parked at the Executive Terminal at Tucson International and went in and cleaned up as much as we could. We stopped at a K-Mart and bought new cloths. That was the last time he worked in the TV business.

I had this happen in my C-150 on a blustery cold and bumpy day. I didn’t have an air sickness bag but oddly there was one of those grey ultra-thin-super-fragile Walmart bags laying behind the seats. We were at about 4500 and I did a nose-dive into KERY where some goofballs were doing oddball work at the approach end (no NOTAM). I still put her down ASAP and my buddy tossed the miraculously non-leaking bag into the FBO’s trash can. I’m still puzzled how that bag did not leak. Walmart bags typically tear open at the moment they make contact with anything. After that I always kept at least two (stolen) SkyWest bags very close. Not a Mooney story but it should be a warning to all. I’d keep a portable urinal too.

Descending to land…

The last 3k’ always has the bumps…

We usually get through one set of bumps…

This doesn’t leave a lot of room for go arounds or selecting a different airport…

Ziplocks and garbage bags…

“Hey look Ma, there’s whole Cheerios in the bag…” :)

Anyone use the funky wristbands or other mechanical means of holding off the barfs?

I’m in the camp of minimizing head movements… cool air, look straight ahead…

-a-

• Haha 1

My son. New (to me) Acclaim, and we were flying up to Wisconsin Dells for New Years with family. Long story, but we were way behind schedule, and the winds were gusting to high 30s when we got there. It got *real* sporty, and I fought it all the way down twice and just couldn't get it on the ground. My son was puking in the back seat, and my wife actually took her shirt off to clean it up. I don't allow anything but water in the airplane, and she saw the look of distress in my eyes when I heard it happening. Fortunately, I was too occupied with getting the airplane on the ground.

We diverted to Madison, and she got out of the airplane in 20 degree weather wearing only a vest on top. She did a good job too...caught it all without it dripping off of the seat.

That's the only time in 15 years of flying that it's happened, but we've kept those sick sacks available just in case ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I only allow family and a couple pilots I’ve known over 25 years to fly with me these days. I’m fully insured however I’m not comfortable with the liability involved. 25 years ago I flew all friends and neighbors and the young eagle kids. I’ve seen and learned too much and better understand the risks now. ( I’ve probably read a few too many accident reports) Fortunately I’ve never had anyone hurl.

My nephew’s son puked as we cane up the fisk arrival into oshkosh. It was warm and bumpy and that was his second ride ever in a small plane. Nephew caught it all in a piddle pack. He was fine on the way home as we went in the night when it was cool and no bumps. He slept most of the way home. 

I tell my passengers if you can get it in a bag, open your collar and fill your shirt.  It’s easier to do the laundry than clean the plane.  So far I haven’t had to do laundry.

Clarence

My wife's cousin wanted some pictures. We warned her that it was bumpy and to wait for another day. But she wanted to go anyway. Spent almost a half hour spiraling around West-by-Gawd Virginny with her in the back, digital SLR with giant zoom lens up, taking pictures until it was too late. I had shown her the sick sack, she almost made it but used her shirt.

Made a straight in landing in front of someone waiting to take off, and both ladies ran for the FBO. They threw away the bag and washed her shirt. She was thankful for the hot air hand dryers! Had no cleanup to do in the plane, but did replace a foam windmuff on one headset . . . .

Oh, yes. Weak tummies seem to run in my husband’s family. Elder grandson defies all efforts. He is green before we get the hangar door open. Younger one is a great airborne companion, serene and interested.. My daughter has become a bit of a worrywart in her old age, and her constant nervous inquiries to her own daughter on hot, bumpy flights has poisoned that well, and she won’t ride with us any more.. When my granddaughter has ridden with me without her mom, all has gone well, and she has enjoyed it, much to her mom’s chagrin. We have the elastic wrist bands, chewable Bonine, icy water, ginger candy, mints, cool air vents, and an ample supply of sick-sacs. My husband, a natural-born skeptic, finds his Sea-bands very useful, even so.. He dons them at the first sign of turbulence, and goes right back to sleep. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JWJR said:

I only allow family and a couple pilots I’ve known over 25 years to fly with me these days. I’m fully insured however I’m not comfortable with the liability involved. 25 years ago I flew all friends and neighbors and the young eagle kids. I’ve seen and learned too much and better understand the risks now. ( I’ve probably read a few too many accident reports) Fortunately I’ve never had anyone hurl.

I flew Young Eagle kids once in my Maule, I too started thinking about the liability and decided it wasn’t worth it, sad really because unless Dad flies, kids don’t get any exposure anymore with Airports locked down etc.

‘Coming off of the Sailboat the electric wrist bands do help the Wife, Dramamine even the non drowsy kind knock her out and don’t really work well, but Stugeron (not available in the US, but can be had from Ebay) works outstandingly well, with little if any side effects, Stugeron is used in the rest of the World and has been available for a long time. It’s an antihistamine like Dramamine is.

Obviously any Crew should not take anything. but the bands I’d assume are safe even for Crew.

Edited by A64Pilot

My nephew lost his lunch after a solid 2 hours of formation flying on a bumpy Oklahoma summer afternoon.  Fortunately, he kept everything in the Nalgene bottle he brought with him.  After an hour or so on the ground, he skeptically climbed back in the plane.  We climbed above the bumps and he did great on the 2 hour flight home.

My wife and I went for breakfast the morning after a Dierks Bently concert.  I suggested she sit that flight out and let me take the kids but she's not one to turn down a good breakfast.  For the record I dont drink, and she rarely does.  But I learned a valuable lesson about flying with a hungover passenger.

Worse upchuck experience was on a commercial jet salt lake to sac waiting for takeoff...15 yr old kid 3 rows in front decided his burrito,piezza,ice creme binge back at the terminal was not going well.The kid suddenly raises his head to the ceiling and.....ARRRRGGGGG!!!  ,head  tilted a 45 degree angle while at same time moving head side to side ensured maximum spray coverage of occupants of 2 rows of seats front and back plus seats accross the isle.I estimate he threw up at least a quart with the most evil color and smell...passengers panicked,trying to escape the spray,a couple started involuntary gagging and were close to throwing up themselves...a stewardess saw what was happening and did an abrupt about face and ran to the captain.I realize all you readers think "he must be exagerating or making this up! believe me ,I am not that creative !The captain turned arround back to the gate..and 15 people got off to clean up!They called in a cabin cleaning crew armed with vacumn cleaners,cleansers,air fresh dispensers....and  took  abour hour to clean the seats,floors,cabin walls and windows...flight was delayed for 2 hours!There was still little stringey chunks of cheese from the kids piezza on the seat next to me.To this day ..I have a mental picture of this kid post earp,salivating uncontollably down his shirt saying "shouldnt have eaten that"!

• Haha 1

Not a Mooney, a Bo.  Gave a ride to a Flight Service Station manager from Carlsbad, NM to Las Vegas on a summer day.  The flight briefer asked if I could give her boss a ride as he missed his flight.  His flight had cancelled due to fog at Carlsbad (a once every couple years type thing)..  The first couple hours he talked about how much flying he had done.  The next hour and a half, he was sweating bullets, a bad sign.  One bag is not enough!  Get a dozen.  Don't let anyone in the back seat know what is happening.  Open all vents.  Consider popping the door. Don't be diplomatic, clean that stuff out of your mustache before I hurl. Geez Loise!  The briefer and I have been laughing about it for 35 years.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:56 PM, A64Pilot said:

I flew Young Eagle kids once in my Maule, I too started thinking about the liability and decided it wasn’t worth it

Might be worth noting that EAA provides supplemental passenger liability insurance up to $1M over the limits in the owner’s policy. 

Parker or someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on how helpful this is, but tbh it’s part of the reason I’ll do YE flights. 

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/youth/free-ye-flights/ye-volunteers/insurance-coverage-for-eaa-young-eagles-pilots

• Like 1

18 hours ago, toto said:

Might be worth noting that EAA provides supplemental passenger liability insurance up to $1M over the limits in the owner’s policy. 

Parker or someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on how helpful this is, but tbh it’s part of the reason I’ll do YE flights. 

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/youth/free-ye-flights/ye-volunteers/insurance-coverage-for-eaa-young-eagles-pilots

a drop zone south of me lost a wrongful death lawsuit for a waivered skydive gone bad.18 yr old high school graduate celebrating his graduation resulted in a 40 million usd judgement....when it comes to kids deaths....juries are easily swayed after attys start poking holes in pilots experience level,age,equipment,weather etc.....