2015 Acclaim down. KLAL; 1 minor injury

FloridaMan

1 minor injury. Brand new Acclaim. 

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2015/4/20/small_plane_crashes_.html

plane-crash-polk3-420.jpg

Looks like he was long established on final for 27. There are storms in the area, but the METARs look fairly benign. Last two points were at 82 and 77kts over the ground at 1000 MSL. Winds on the surface were <10kts out of the southwest

post-8198-0-61738500-1429560971_thumb.pn

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/MOONEY-ACCLAIM-TYPE-S/2015-MOONEY-ACCLAIM-TYPE-S/1332995.htm

It's listed on Controller for $733,000 by Premier. I'm guessing they were flying it up to Lakeland for Sun-n-Fun. I wonder what happened. The weather isn't good today. 

Richard Simile flew the plane to Dallas from Kerrville two weeks ago (assuming Parker is correct that this is the same plane)and it had about 8 hours on it. He told me this was the first "commercial sale" Acclaim since the factory reopened. The first one was the one auctioned off and the 2nd went to China. This was the 3rd.

I wonder if Richard was flying it at the time of the crash. Glad he, or whoever it was, had only minor injuries.

It is sad to see a brand new plane destroyed like this. But the same happened to the Titanic and the Hindenburg. Looks like engine power loss on final approach. Kind of rare since there is no stress on the engine. Maybe caused by the throttle idle setting. If the idle setting is set to very low rpm the engine may quit when the throttle is pulled all the way back. The prop will stop windmilling due to the low airspeed and the engine just quit. At low altitude a starter restart may not be soon enough. Glad the pilot made it because the cockpit fire looks pretty intense.

José

I called Richard to see if he was alright or knew anything about this, but it went to his voicemail. I left him a message so we'll see. He generally does represent Mooney and Premier at these functions. It will be interesting to learn more about this.

Okay, having just looked at FlightAware, I see that the plane started today in Auburn, which pretty much indicates that Richard was at the controls because that's his home base.  I can't tell much else from the track log.  Too many unknowns at this point.

According to news reports, it was Richard flying alone. According to those reports, he was able to exit the plane prior to its catching fire. Reports were he had minor injuries. We called him, but like Don, we got voicemail. We're certainly glad he's OK.

http://www.wfla.com/story/28850351/pilot-walks-away-from-lakeland-plane-crash

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Pilot-Survives-Fiery-Small-Plane-Crash-in-Lakeland-300708321.html

That's horrible hope Richard is actually ok, I spoke with him a couple weeks ago, actually rapped about purchasing the Acclaim, as Joe it's concerning...my gut is telling me to keep my Bravo GX...did anyone talk to Fred Ahles to get any info, Corby also does a lot of their flying he's a great instructor and transitioned me to the G1000. I so sorry for Richard and the Premiere family....

From the photo that looks almost like a non-survivable crash - wing broke off, intense fire. And he walked away with minor injuries only...

I am sure pilot's decision and skill also played a part but you really have to give it to the folks at Kerrville!

Speed recovery, Richard!

Piloto, in response to your earlier comment, I doubt he chopped the power back to idle if he was conducting a normal approach. That turns the Acclaim into a rock if the gear and flaps are down. Richard certainly knew that; he probably has as much Acclaim time as anyone. But we're all speculating at this point.