Became a C owner this week

I’ve been here for a couple years now. This week I finally became a Mooney owner. Flew my new to me M20C home from SMO to 1O3 yesterday and am absolutely thrilled by the airplane. 

The first upgrade on my list is to install shoulder harnesses. I think I’d prefer the inertial reel kind. Anyone here do this recently? How did it go?

Seth

8AF40A82-CFAA-4180-9F48-8097A51CCF80.jpeg

• Like 8

Congratulations on joining what I think to be a very rare and prestigious group.  Even though I don’t have a $400,000 mooney, I love my 66C model.  Even today, which is many years later, I still have that same sense of “thrill” that you have.  Don’t plan on that fading any time soon.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, M20 Ogler said:

The first upgrade on my list is to install shoulder harnesses. I think I’d prefer the inertial reel kind. Anyone here do this recently? How did it go?

Not recently but a number of years ago I added the Alpha Aviation ones to my F model.

https://alphaaviation.com/mooney-m20-front-inertial-reel-replacement-upgrade-push-button/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The inertial reel harnesses were in my F when I bought it.  If I were buying them from scratch, the only ones I would consider paying for would be Hookers.  Not because I know and like Jack Hooker, but because I have Hooker Harnesses in my 140 and love them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M20 Ogler said:

The first upgrade on my list is to install shoulder harnesses. I think I’d prefer the inertial reel kind. Anyone here do this recently? How did it go

I did the inertial reel ones on my C and would do the same over and over again....it was about 6 years ago...so far they have worked perfectly...

You must show us the panel so we know what you are working with.  We need to know how to spend your money....

Congratulations on the C. The best value in general aviation. My C had the inertia reel shoulder harnesses when I got it and they seem to work great. I hope to not find out if they actually work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I did the inertial reel ones on my C and would do the same over and over again....it was about 6 years ago...so far they have worked perfectly...

You must show us the panel so we know what you are working with.  We need to know how to spend your money....

Garmin 650XI, GTX 345, GMA 345, Garmin 106b, Britain Autopilot, KX 155, Voltage meter, EGT. 

26E9A1B3-ED4B-4FE9-8122-9A169A8E49C3.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M20 Ogler said:

Garmin 650XI, GTX 345, GMA 345, Garmin 106b, Britain Autopilot, KX 155, Voltage meter, EGT. 

First things first....for the love of God go to the sensorcon website and get a real monoxide detector.  This should be done ASAP like the shoulder harnesses. Yes it is that important.

https://sensorcon-sensing-products-by-molex.myshopify.com

get the least expensive one they have and velcro it to the panel in clear sight.

something on the "nice to do" list should be all new engine controls...prop. mix, throttle etc...many threads on this

Then start shopping for your flat panel screen to include engine monitor etc etc.....

On second thought,,,just fly it up to Canada and give the doc 40-50k and turn him loose....

Looks like a nice ride....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M20 Ogler said:

I’ve been here for a couple years now. This week I finally became a Mooney owner. Flew my new to me M20C home from SMO to 1O3 yesterday and am absolutely thrilled by the airplane. 

Seth

8AF40A82-CFAA-4180-9F48-8097A51CCF80.jpeg

As already discussed, belts from Alpha Aviation are straight forward to install.  One suggestion to make it easier is to have your maintainer weld the nut to the clamp.  

Clarence

5 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

That’s a GREAT C panel!!  Nothing to do there!

I second this thought, don’t do anything for a year, things you may consider “must haves” now, may not be in a year. Spend your money on basic airworthiness until you have gone through every system before dropping big money in the panel. Plus you do in my opinion have everything you need.

‘I hope not, but your first Annual could be expensive, so save up for that.

Are Ugly sticks still for sale?

Edited by A64Pilot

This was my first upgrade as well for my 67 F. I went with the push button inertial reel, 100% recommended! No issues with the Jbar and unbuckling yourself by accident, and it’s super convenient. Original plan was to have them installed before I picked it up, but they arrived at the shop late so I did it once I brought her home. It was a breeze removing the old ones, clipping the new ones onto the seat, and getting the co-pilot side done. The pilot side was another story…

If you install yourself and get it signed off, my tip is to just cut/dremel a notch out of your plastics instead of cutting a hole. That way you can easily re-install the plastics, and remove them if you need to. You can’t even see the notch behind the inertial reel anyhow. I don’t have any tips for getting the clamp around the pilot side steel frame…

1.18 AMU total for the two in the front.

M20 A-K Front Inertial Reel Shoulder and Lap belt upgrade_push button-Hook ends (P/O: 7884)

Here are a couple pics, one from the co-pilot side install and another just to show what it looks like from the backseat (was redoing the interior in that photo).

98302C57-29FD-4042-AC26-84117560230E.jpeg

63A2F22D-27FF-4CA8-964A-3A3B2F16907A.jpeg

A0EC6B68-E939-4028-8A6E-CAD7E8E1DC86.jpeg

10B93F2F-4DB8-4B7F-8AF8-BEDCE568A6BB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may consider getting your seat belt shoulder harness clamps from LASAR. The clamp in the Lasar Shoulder Harness kit the goes around the Tubing structure has the nut welded/soldered to the clamp. this can make installation easier .  If you go with the inertial reels they may not come with that  feature and I am not sure if Lasar would sell those clamp separately. I doesn't hurt to ask. Also Heads up/ spoiler alert the  pilot's side shoulder harness clamp  is a bear to put on.

Hope this Helps,

James '67C

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 6:17 AM, jamesm said:

Also Heads up/ spoiler alert the  pilot's side shoulder harness clamp  is a bear to put on.

Hope this Helps,

James '67C

How you know when you have become a True Mooniac…

You know while taxiing, turning one way or the other has a tighter turn radius…

Which clamp is a killer to install when doing shoulder harnesses…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

How you know when you have become a True Mooniac…

You know while taxiing, turning one way or the other has a tighter turn radius…

Being based at an airport with no taxiway, I learned this one quickly! Every flight started and ended back-taxiing and turning around (the runway entry point was 1000' from the preferred end and 2000' from the other end). My C turns much better to the right, and main tires lasted at least 3X as long as nose tires . . . . .

• Like 1