Thinking about airpark property

MIm20c

11 minutes ago, Candy man said:

Tom,

what I'd give for 13% I bought a place on lake Charlevoix Mi and your great state doubled my property tax. Maybe it's  because They send the bill to Ohio, but boy 13% seems like a bargain.

Property tax in MI is great if you live in the same home for many years. Not so much for those buying lakefront homes from elderly couples where the tax liability can double. 

@Fritz Kaiser started a thread with a similar topic...

A little more in the direction of what area of the country to live in.

Many ideas of airport homes were tossed into the mix...

I'm always looking for my airport home...

Just have to get a couple of things taken care of before that can happen...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

13 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Thinking about airpark living lately. Current plan is to research over the next few years and rent in a lot of different areas to see what works for the family.  Ideally I’ll be looking for a modest house with a hanger on the property for the plane when I’m there and a trailered boat/car when I’m away. I'm looking for advice from those that enjoy or have reservations about property they own and live in part time or full. 

Tomorrow I'm looking at a property on an airpark. Great hangar and great location right on the runway :)

19 hours ago, peevee said:

Independence airpark near salem is one of the best in the country.... they say anyway. It's a nice area.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/7S5

I'm not sure OR is the most advantageous state to live in tax wise, but it's a nice state.

And on top of that, with a selective purchase, you could live on Mooney Street!

Two resources for locating fly-in properties:

http://livingwithyourplane.com

And the "Airport Property" section of Barnstormers.com

Neither will settle the highly personal question of "best location", but they will help in determining "available locations".

The benefits of living with your plane are hard to beat.

I don't live on these air parks but I have considered buying land for "one day"  (both in NC)

the First is a through the gate access. It's called Brady Landing and they have taxi rights through the fence to a city airport. http://livingwithyourplane.com/brady-landing-airpark-best-kept-secret-on-the-east-coast/

The second has caught my attention more recently is the Duchy just north of Chapel Hill.  You have the "triangle" of universities good medical access and some of the best public schools in the country.  http://5nc5.org/

of course if you do either of these I will follow any blog/pictures and live vicariously through you until my day comes. 

• Like 1

I live at FA37 (Wingsouth) in Naples.  Irma has made it a little crazy, but it is a great place.  59 lots about 35 houses.  4400x100 paved and lights.  No GPS, but KAPF is 4 miles away with multiple approaches.  If it gets any better than this (November to June), I have no idea where?

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 82Mike said:

I live at FA37 (Wingsouth) in Naples.  Irma has made it a little crazy, but it is a great place.  59 lots about 35 houses.  4400x100 paved and lights.  No GPS, but KAPF is 4 miles away with multiple approaches.  If it gets any better than this (November to June), I have no idea where?

Mike

A quick check shows lots are about $250K.

14 hours ago, peevee said:

Because no one wants to live there. :D

Yes!   Everyone stay away from AZ!  Nothing to see here!   Truly an awful place!   DO NOT COME HERE!   YOU WILL DIE IN A TOUCH AND GO IF YOU MOVE TO AZ!  ;)

Actually I think many of the airpark properties here are cheap because there are a LOT of them and some are fairly remote.   Some are kind of ratty, too, but if nothing else there's a lot of variety to pick from.   The two in/nearest the Phoenix area are both quite nice, though, and pricey.    Kirby Chambliss, of Red Bull Air Race fame, lives on a very remote airpark way out in the desert here with only two or three houses, and a big Red Bull logo painted on the runway.  Some new lots and development just opened up at the north end of Stellar Airpark in Chandler, but I suspect the lots are expensive.

Edited by EricJ

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

A quick check shows lots are about $250K.

That is for the nicest ones.  You can get many for about $130 -$150k.  Naples is not cheap, but then again you 5 miles from 5th avenue in Naples.  We have arguably the most beautiful beaches in the US.  The best weather (9 months of it at least lol) and good flying days almost the entire year.  Really nice place to live.

<sigh> The wife...who has said no, absolutely not, forget it, painful and expensive divorce, etc., etc., etc. (see photos above of husband v wife hangars).

So, we are looking at Wilmington as a retirement location and I found a nice little live-in air park called Pilot's Ridge Aero Plantation (03NC) with extremely competitive prices and a great runway. I noticed that there are a few homes for sale there and a large number of lots. So then I thought, well I can't have my cake and eat it too, but could I have cake? My thinking was I would buy a lot and build a hangar with an apartment. The absolute ultimate mancave and 'second home'. So you get in late from somewhere and just spend the night. You do your annual and put in 10 hour days without having to drive home. All my tools and other garage stuff, aviation stuff, etc. would move there so wifey would have it out of the house, win-win.

So I contacted 03NC and have heard nothing. The issue, I am sure, has to do with the owners of the full-time homes. My argument is that a hangar home could be built relatively cheaply and designed to not look like a public T-hangar at the local muni.  It would bring more planes into the development, which is something all of these places seem to be trying to do.

Am I the only one who would invest in such a thing? I am not too worried about ROI as we are talking retirement here.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Tomorrow I'm looking at a property on an airpark. Great hangar and great location right on the runway :)

5 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

So.....?   What did you think?

We liked it. Right now we're having our Realtor pulls comps in the area and pull comps for our current house . . .

12 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

More hangar than home.

Exactly! I could see a simple rectangle with a T-hangar in the back, living area/kitchenette and bedroom in the notches with a full length hall in the front. Pitched roof with attic storage, would just look like a small house from the front.

1 hour ago, HRM said:

<sigh> The wife...who has said no, absolutely

So, we are looking at Wilmington as a retirement location and I found a nice little live-in air park called Pilot's Ridge Aero Plantation (03NC) with extremely competitive prices and a great runway. 

We were mildly interested in pilots   Ridge until we realized that air travel was the only way in/out given the beach traffic on certain days. 

It's so crowded no one goes there any more. :mellow:

Probably great in the winter. 

All I can tell you guys is if you can swing it do it!  You only live once.  I can fly after work if I want it is sooooooo easy.  This is our only house so we made it nice, but many have what your describing.  2 beds, bath, kitchen and hangar.

• Like 1

The last few responses describe what I’m looking for.  Just enough living quarters to be comfortable in. If we have a lot of friends over I’ll put a sleeping bag out and sleep in the hanger. 

This will be a second “getaway” home not planning on moving.  Expensive ish property is ok but a hanger / apartment, condo, or small home would be ideal. 

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

Yes!   Everyone stay away from AZ!  Nothing to see here!   Truly an awful place!   DO NOT COME HERE!   YOU WILL DIE IN A TOUCH AND GO IF YOU MOVE TO AZ!  ;)

Actually I think many of the airpark properties here are cheap because there are a LOT of them and some are fairly remote.   Some are kind of ratty, too, but if nothing else there's a lot of variety to pick from.   The two in/nearest the Phoenix area are both quite nice, though, and pricey.    Kirby Chambliss, of Red Bull Air Race fame, lives on a very remote airpark way out in the desert here with only two or three houses, and a big Red Bull logo painted on the runway.  Some new lots and development just opened up at the north end of Stellar Airpark in Chandler, but I suspect the lots are expensive.

Eric, I have been looking at Arizona. Anguila airpark looks pretty nice but is sure out in the sticks. Property is reasonable around Phoenix but building cost in Arizona or at least Phoenix area, seem to be stupid expensive. Property taxes are a mixed bag that I have a problem figuring out. I'd like to winter in Phoenix but not do the summers there. I've actually bought property there but just can't justify the building cost.

1 hour ago, laytonl said:

There are a couple of houses for sale in our airpark, 5ga2, which is 30 miles due west of ATL.

Today while I was mowing the yard I was entertained by a Nanchang and a Ziln doing formation flybys.

Living at an airpark is neat!

Lee

5GA2 is where my plane may have met its maker two weeks ago (the jury is still out). The  turf field is 1,800 feet long with a 600 foot displaced threshold, not exactly what I would call a great strip to get in and out of. How long did it take you to master Lee?

Incident6.jpg

• Sad 2

You know I always laugh at the touch and go posts that come and go.  T&G is not any harder in a Mooney than any other plane.  That being said short grass field?  No thanks.  I like pavement and I really like at least 3500 feet of it.  I just don't like forcing it on to the run way.  Anything short of say 2800 and you are 65 over the numbers to really do it right.  Whited in St. Pete feels that way as it is like 2800 with water at both ends. But!  It is paved!