Corrosion X

PTK

What's the going rate for a corrosion X  treatment these days for the 201?

I 've been quoted 750$ on the high end and 280$ on the low end. Everyone seems to agree it takes about 2-3 hours.  

I do mine myself at annual.  It is best to be done when all the inspection covers are removed you can make sure all the little spots are covered.  I guess the higher price is removing more covers than the lower price but then you never know.  The corrosion X sprayer is pricy but I put together a device that works it still needs some deign engineering but it does works.

Have it done at annual I think is best and be there when they do it just to make sure they get it everywhere.

• Like 1

What's the going rate for a corrosion X  treatment these days for the 201?

I 've been quoted 750$ on the high end and 280$ on the low end. Everyone seems to agree it takes about 2-3 hours.  

Everyone knows that Corrosion-X is a scam. Its snake oil. It doesnt work. Its only hyped and promoted by the people who sell it.  Also, theres no conclusive proof that it works. I saw a plane just the other day, treated a few years ago with Corroson-X that had corrosion in the wheel well. 

Fly it often, I say. Nothing else you can do.

• Like 4

Everyone knows that Corrosion-X is a scam. Its snake oil. It doesnt work. Its only hyped and promoted by the people who sell it.  Also, theres no conclusive proof that it works. I saw a plane just the other day, treated a few years ago with Corroson-X that had corrosion in the wheel well. 

Obviously not everyone. A lot of people in Florida use it. Care to back it up with proof?

Everyone knows that Corrosion-X is a scam. Its snake oil. It doesnt work. Its only hyped and promoted by the people who sell it. Also, theres no conclusive proof that it works. I saw a plane just the other day, treated a few years ago with Corroson-X that had corrosion in the wheel well.

A few years ago ?!

That's the problem, it needs to be done every two years, and done properly, not just haphazardly, since it's not paint you can't tell if you missed a spot, if you do it at annual it's pretty cheap insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered what the green text was for, especially that bright lime green that I couldn't even read on my screen. I had to drag and select the text so it would show in a white-on-blue background.

You beat me to it, Byron!

Worse than that. I have looked carefully in the POH and maintenance manual, and find no mention of it. If the factory doesn't recommend it, it can't be good. :)

The factory DOES recommend it but to not overdo it! More of it doesn't work better. Serves no purpose to soak the insides of the airplane every year with corrosion x or similar.

It does not offer any benefit to chromated surfaces. It only seeks and protects bare metal, eg. in lap joints.

A classic case of "less is more."

(Unlike Chris' cows...I meant...women! That's a healthy case of "more is well...way way more!")

Where's your proof it works?

It's based on solid chemistry.

It is a dielectric material. If you remember your high school chemistry this means it is an insulating material. A very poor conductor of electricity. Metals are the opposite due to loosely bound or free electrons in their outer shells that can travel among atoms.

Corrosion is the transfer of electrons by an electrolyte.

Corroson X or similar seeks bare metal through polar bonding. Again from high school chem, this means it attaches to bare metal like a magnet displacing the electrolyte eg. moisture, and stopping electron transfer via its dielectric nature.

It stops the conduction of electrons which is what corrosion is. Again from high school chem!

Show me similarly based proof for your scamguard!

It's based on solid chemistry.

It is a dielectric material. If you remember your high school chemistry this means it is an insulating material. A very poor conductor of electricity. Metals are the opposite due to loosely bound or free electrons in their outer shells that can travel among atoms.

Corrosion is the transfer of electrons by an electrolyte.

Corroson X or similar seeks bare metal through polar bonding. Again from high school chem, this means it attaches to bare metal like a magnet displacing the electrolyte which is moisture, and stopping electron transfer via its dielectric nature.

It stops the conduction of electrons which is what corrosion is. Again from high school chem!

Show me similarly based proof for your scamguard!

A dielectric material is more than just an insulator. It is also polarizable by applying an electric field. I don't know what's in corrosion X but it is probably just long chain alkanes which wouldn't be dielectric.

Polar bonding also seems unlikely.

A dielectric material is more than just an insulator. It is also polarizable by applying an electric field. I don't know what's in corrosion X but it is probably just long chain alkanes which wouldn't be dielectric.

Polar bonding also seems unlikely.

I guess we'll need Peter Garmin to drink a little bit of it to find out what really is in it: http://www.corrosionx.com/msds/corrosionx-aviation-msds.pdf

Check out section 2...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Seems like it would be easy enough to demonstrate. Take a few sheets of various metals and coat some with corrosion x and leave others bare. Stick them in various environments and compare them to each other after a certain length of time.

• Like 1

Aviation Consumer did a write-up back in 2012 and endorsed both CorrosionX and ACF-50 as effective for combatting corrosion. They didn't do any independent lab tests like they've done for CamGuard, but they provided testimonials from well-respected organization and shops about how it stops corrosion from occurring.

• Like 1