How to impress your neighbors now that everyone has a Tesla

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

That was fun.  I just watched that movie again recently.

Little known fact:  In 2004, Forbes determined that Milla Jovovich was the highest-paid model in the world.

I’d let her come over to the hangar and help wax the wings…

• Haha 1

Pretty bizarre how this story has been picked up in the mainstream press. It sounds like Alef issued some kind of a press release saying that FAA has granted certification for the flying-car-whatever, and the takeaway is that if you have the money, they’ll sell you one today. 

I assume that the granted special airworthiness certificate is limited to flight testing, and this thing is decades from a standard cert..

https://www.newsweek.com/alef-flying-car-vehicle-how-works-faa-1810469

• Like 1

12 hours ago, toto said:

Pretty bizarre how this story has been picked up in the mainstream press. It sounds like Alef issued some kind of a press release saying that FAA has granted certification for the flying-car-whatever, and the takeaway is that if you have the money, they’ll sell you one today. 

I assume that the granted special airworthiness certificate is limited to flight testing, and this thing is decades from a standard cert..

https://www.newsweek.com/alef-flying-car-vehicle-how-works-faa-1810469

All the FAA did was issue an experimental airworthiness certificate. A long long way from certification. Not to mention you will need a pilots license to fly it. They never mentioned that.

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

All the FAA did was issue an experimental airworthiness certificate. A long long way from certification. Not to mention you will need a pilots license to fly it. They never mentioned that.

Sounds like they’re trying to get it approved for drone pilots. “will most likely only be required to have a simple Part 107 drone license”

https://en.as.com/latest_news/alef-flying-car-what-we-know-about-the-first-car-certified-to-fly-design-technology-price-n/?outputType=amp

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

This is pure snake oil.  

It seems to have all the markings of hyped promotional marketing, perhaps to lure either depositors or investors.    This is why it reminded me of Moller, which seemed to me to be the same thing, and Moller pulled it off multiple times on the same project, even managing to take it public with an IPO.  

47 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It seems to have all the markings of hyped promotional marketing, perhaps to lure either depositors or investors.    This is why it reminded me of Moller, which seemed to me to be the same thing, and Moller pulled it off multiple times on the same project, even managing to take it public with an IPO.  

And they have an “SEC Dispute History” link on their webpage to prove it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Vaporware.

Building a human rideable battery powered quadcopter is quite doable these days. So they probably do have a flying prototype.

Convincing the FAA to let them sell them to the general public to operate in the NAS sounds like a pipe dream. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

No way this will meet the National Highway Safety crash regulations (too heavy) and be able to fly off the ground with more than a hamster inside for more than 10 seconds.

Yea, they usually give it three wheels and call it a motorcycle, which has no crashworthiness specs. At least here you can get an OHV license that lets you drive a quad on the street under the motorcycle regs, even though it has 4 wheels. Not sure how that got through the regs. It was originally done to allow quads to cross highways to go from trail to trail legally, but the way it is written, they can drive down a city street at rush hour. 

I guess having the ability to leave the ground makes it an Off Highway Vehicle.

• Like 1

I can see cities and states passing laws, if they don't already have them, that would preclude any aircraft from taking off or landing on a city street unless it was for law enforcement or emergency medical.

You could still pull into a parking lot and take off and land in another parking lot.