This Piece

I have an intercom there in my J. There's quite a bit of space.  You can access it by removing the side panel in the pilot footwell. It's only a couple screws to remove the side panel.

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

What is behind it?  How deep is the space behind it?  How to get the piece off?

I am trying to figure out if I could mount a Mountain High O2D2 there.

Thanks.

IMG_2699edit.jpg

Back when the J or K model had the option of a KFC200 (or Century 41) autopilot that's where the switches went for power and modes.

KFC200.jpg

large.gallery_163_610_103160.jpg.94bbc18

I believe that's where @gsxrpilot mounted his O2D2 on his 252 (N252AD).

CORRECTION: He mounted it below and ran the tube through there.: 

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

What is behind it?  How deep is the space behind it?  How to get the piece off?

I am trying to figure out if I could mount a Mountain High O2D2 there.

Thanks.

IMG_2699edit.jpg

Your plane used to have the vacuum gauge mounted there before the vacuum system was removed.  Go look at the old Aircraft.com pictures.

Also from the detail in your picture it looks like that large Philips head screw, center-top, is holding that plastic panel in place.

N252VM | 1986 MOONEY M20K 252TSE on Aircraft.com

Untitled.jpg.fd9beb9359487b2428aa9cb3f816a2d0.jpg

8 minutes ago, Texas Mooney said:

Your plane used to have the vacuum gauge mounted there before the vacuum system was removed.  Go look at the old Aircraft.com pictures.

Also from the detail in your picture it looks like that large Philips head screw, center-top, is holding that plastic panel in place.

N252VM | 1986 MOONEY M20K 252TSE on Aircraft.com

Untitled.jpg.fd9beb9359487b2428aa9cb3f816a2d0.jpg

Surprisingly vacuum gauges weren't standard on Mooneys back then. Many people put them there though.

https://books.google.com/books?id=bO2ZODqlC8AC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

In the Encore, the indicators for pitch trim, rudder trim, cowl flap, and flaps are there. When I took off the face plate to clean up the multifunction lens there was plenty of space behind.  You might dig through the IPC to see if you can find an assembly picture for it. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could make a tray for that area if the O2D2 fit width wise. Probably a good spot for it…visible, but out of the way. And you could back feed a USB power cord for it to keep it clean. 
As @LANCECASPER mentioned, GSXRPILOT ran his O2 supply tubing back through there and behind the avionics panel over to the pilot side wall where it poked out of the sidewall to plug into the Scott connector in front of the arm rest. 

It’s a vacuum formed blank panel There’s nothing behind it. It can be used to mount a variety of options as  illustrated in the above posts. Mine used to have an EDM 700 there and that instrument is pretty deep. 

Thanks to all.   

So, when I take the plane back for tweaking the avionics, the shop is going to put a tray in there for the O2D2 and rout the wires and O2 supply to that area.

SWEET.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 7:10 AM, Pinecone said:

Thanks to all.   

So, when I take the plane back for tweaking the avionics, the shop is going to put a tray in there for the O2D2 and rout the wires and O2 supply to that area.

SWEET.

Here is my simple replacement panel.  There are 4 mounting screws on the plane that are quite hard to get to, but they just need to be loosened so that the plastic panel slides out.  My aluminum panel has holes on the bottom to stick a screwdriver through.

I am mounting 'prop amps', vacuum gauge and Aux power complete with 2 post lights.

There are no obstacles behind this panel, could easily accommodate a 12" deep instrument.

I have the CAD file, could easily make more with whatever instruments you would like to mount there.

Don

IMG_2166.jpeg

@Pinecone post some pics if you get this done, please.  I still have a vacuum gauge there, but since the vacuum pump just runs the speed brakes and retractable step now, I'd be interested in removing that in favor of a better O2D2 mount.

I typically have the Sensorcon CO detector attached to that panel with velcro.  It keeps falling off when the temps get really high as the velcro glue gets soft.  It would be great to have some easy way to secure the detector to that panel with either the provided clip or with some crews.  Anyone done something like that?  I'm not sure how best to secure it and didn't really want to drill into the plastic without a good plan.

I believe before it was filled with a plastic panel the ash tray used to go in that cut out.    Seems to be about the right size as the ash tray in my 75 F model

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2024 at 11:42 AM, 201Mooniac said:

I typically have the Sensorcon CO detector attached to that panel with velcro.  It keeps falling off when the temps get really high as the velcro glue gets soft.  It would be great to have some easy way to secure the detector to that panel with either the provided clip or with some crews.  Anyone done something like that?  I'm not sure how best to secure it and didn't really want to drill into the plastic without a good plan.

In Texas the adhesive on Velcro melts, I've had much better luck with the 3M Interlocking Fasteners. Just make sure you clean the area with alcohol before sticking the strips on.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-All-Weather-Fasteners-Inches-RFD7090/dp/B00347A8EO/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2VCJUKDL9TQUJ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.y79QyrW5nhmqT1ltg6FsnIN7bsOy_xwp9c8trgecwlhauIaqfCc9bvajyE56kLUpTJkCBXso0Gk1ukAtyIuQg7MDfjXViyorJiIKYR1kUs1DHnEqOE-OrbtVei6ohkKGEGvRk9YxmzYYuDogylpSZlgl3WKMOz5WJcn0CRYjTpWrvveouHV6yp3cfX5GwsuN_WAeDlo7oDQ1358nikeXEbBlGTi7GynUMWASjD0cWz-q-eZx9FjJ8VkUQbuiM1DF6QrgXkVzsNFamy6r-r6pZwsyULvgYwiWNuucH3y8vZ8.bnEBvn4iwDMxlN7Wcfzt8IqXI_ZdMLmE3P7zEUvayNo&dib_tag=se&keywords=3m%2Blocking%2Bstrips&qid=1718906420&sprefix=3m%2Block%2Caps%2C276&sr=8-3&th=1

17 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I always run a few #4 screws through the Velcro. You cannot trust the adhesive. The only Velcro in my plane is holding the arm rests on. Both surfaces are aluminum with Velcro and screws.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I always run a few #4 screws through the Velcro. You cannot trust the adhesive. The only Velcro in my plane is holding the arm rests on. Both surfaces are aluminum with Velcro and screws.

I guess I could do that on the panel side but the last time the velcro came off of the Sensorcon detector and I can't solve that side using a screw.

On 6/20/2024 at 9:42 AM, 201Mooniac said:

3M Dual Lock has much stronger adhesive.

• Like 1

So it sounds like this centre console was originally for an ashtray.  My 252 had the vacuum gauge.  It's deep enough for just about any instrument.

So I made a simple bracket to slide in from the front, with U shaped slots for the mounting screws.  It's quite hard to access the screws from the back with a right angle screwdriver drive.  So I put two 3/4" holes in the bottom so you can use a regular screwdriver to tighten the top screws.  The bottom screw can be tightened with a right angle driver.

The attached pdf is an iteration of this - longer bottom shelf and slots to support an O2D2.  The yellow rectangle has the dimensions of the faceplate of the O2D2, the green rectangle is the footprint of the side of the O2D2.  I prefer mounting things 'centered' in spaces like this, so it will need some form of spacer to raise the O2D2.  And I could put slots on the sides of the bottom tray so that velcro straps can be used to hold the O2D2 down,

Thanks for the dimensions @pinecone.

Give me some feedback and I'll cut it out next time I have my CNC machine fired up.

Aerodon

IMG_2166.jpeg

Console_O2D2.pdf

What about a tab on the bottom that gets folded back to be the shelf.

And probably needs a side piece on the left side (as seen from pilot seat).

Mine has a single top screw in the front, and there is a strap down the side on the left that has 2 rivets to the side of the piece.

It already has a top, front and bottom 'shelf'.  Yes I have thought about a 4th 'tab' on the side to close the gap by there pilots knee.  Th drawing and cutting is easy, i need to upgrade my bending brake skills to bend the 4th tab. 

On 6/21/2024 at 1:08 AM, Pinecone said:

You can see in my picture that I mounted my Sensorcon to that panel. :D

I put a Guardian panel mount CO detector.

This is where I have my CO detector too. 

image.png.b87d79c01b53874c30f52fb5bb8eb9d6.png

In my a/c this panel originally had a large silver sticker on it that showed the power settings needed to achieve adequate suction for the standby vacuum system. I put the CO detector there after the vacuum system came out - I couldn’t have been happier to remove that crazy sticker.

• Like 1