Pirep on the Muncy visors

I just wanted to give a shoutout to @DonMuncy for the great looking and awesome fitting visors. I had the privilege of getting to hang out with him and others a little bit at the MooneyMax conference. We had a fabulous time. I mentioned to him I had been looking at contacting him about making me some of his visors. He just happened to have an extra set that he had brought with him to the conference. I purchased them and just got the chance to install them today. They look and function much better than the originals that came in my Eagle. If you're in the market for replacement visors I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these. Way less expensive than the Rosen visors and the quality is at least as good and maybe even a better. Thanks for a great product Don.

• Like 3

I am still making visors. I am temporarily out of stock, but that condition should not exist for more than a couple of weeks.

As to the E, I am not sure. If yours mount in the upper outside corners of the windscreen, mine fit, if not, no.

Thanks for the kind words Ziggy.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 6/17/2022 at 3:01 PM, ziggysanchez said:

I just wanted to give a shoutout to @DonMuncy for the great looking and awesome fitting visors. I had the privilege of getting to hang out with him and others a little bit at the MooneyMax conference. We had a fabulous time. I mentioned to him I had been looking at contacting him about making me some of his visors. He just happened to have an extra set that he had brought with him to the conference. I purchased them and just got the chance to install them today. They look and function much better than the originals that came in my Eagle. If you're in the market for replacement visors I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these. Way less expensive than the Rosen visors and the quality is at least as good and maybe even a better. Thanks for a great product Don.

Same here.  The visors work great! I put a set in my K a couple of weeks ago and they are awesome.   Thanks @DonMuncy!

I think I need a pair of these @DonMuncy, tired of mine slipping and difficult articulating to the side and just generally more in the way than useful unless the sun is directly in front of you. Do you make them for an M model? Looks like from the pictures, they come with new better articulating arms?

Thanks for the nice words guys.

JohnB, yes, my visors fit all the models with the mounting point on the upper outside of the windscreen, and I am virtually certain the M qualifies. They articulae to virtually any position.

PM me if you want a set.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

I think I need a pair of these @DonMuncy, tired of mine slipping and difficult articulating to the side and just generally more in the way than useful unless the sun is directly in front of you. Do you make them for an M model? Looks like from the pictures, they come with new better articulating arms?

if you read Ziggy’s great pirep to the end…

He mentions he is using the DonMuncy Visors in his M20S…

The biggest difference between the LBs and other Mooneys in this area… are all of the light switches up top…

You might need to use the visor’s articulation to move them out of the way to operate the switches….

The original LB visors are a bit tiny…. They fit within the given space… but don’t work like a visor needs to…. :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t remember exactly how, but that half moon shape is removable, when removed you will have a threaded rod sticking out that the new visors mount to and are held on with a nut. Or maybe the half moons are a bolt and the new visors come with a stud to screw in to mount the visors, but either way the half moon things unscrew, right hand thread.

I want to think that once the factory visors are removed that the half moon shape just unscrews by hand or using the factory visor or an Allen wrench for leverage, unscrew it.

The small Allen screw I believe retains the rod into the half moon shape, once it’s loosened and the screw removed from the other end of the rod you should be able to twist it and remove the rod, then unscrew the half moon.

In my opinion as an I/A this is a minor mod and Rosen’s STC is ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 11:23 AM, Pinecone said:

Any comparisons between Muncey and Rosen visors?

I had Rosens on my Maule, they look better, obviously “Factory” made. Don’t really function any better and as they have an STC it takes an IA to install them and file the 337. So add that money into their price. Short answer is I don’t think they are worth it, but if I had put 100K into a new panel and all new interior then I’d want them.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, Pinecone said:

An

1 hour ago, PeytonM said:

Still struggling to remove the original visors. I’ve removed the allen set-screw, but the visor arm refuses to come out of the half-moon.  I even tried pliers to (gently) try and pull it out…

I think that dome shaped piece must be stuck only with gunk, etc., as the screw is now removed. Perhaps some solvent/penetrating solution could loosten it, and/or perhaps judicious tapping with a small hammer. Keep us posted.

The dome shape on my 81J definitely screws into the airframe, the allen screw goes into a hole in the rod on the visor, so I’d  remove it completely, then I’d Put a rag or something on the rod to protect it, a piece of leather works great and clamp on a pair of vise grips, then rotate it while pulling. I’m sure it will come out.

That will leave the dome piece still on the aircraft, can’t hurt to unscrew it a little before you remove the original rod, once the rod is out I think I stuck an Allen key it the dome to unscrew it, It wasn’t very tight as I don’t remember having any trouble with it, the pic should help I hope.

69E25755-095E-4571-BF90-D325CF5CE825.jpeg

• Like 1