109 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you flying under?

• 1st Class Medical
    • 2nd Class Medical
    • 3rd Class Medical
    • BasicMed
    • None
    • Other

Ugh, can’t find someone to safety pilot who has a medical these days. Seems everyone has been going basic med.

Vote if you have a medical or BasicMed and leave a comment if you fly for work. I’m curious if it’s only professional pilots getting medicals these days.

When my first renewal came up, I opted to keep my 3rd class medical. The second time was during Covid and the AME was booked out 4 weeks. A few days before my appointment I got sick, not Covid, but I lost my spot and had to reschedule another 4 weeks out. Then just before my next appointment the doctor’s office called and told me the doctor had a family emergency and would need to reschedule. I told them not to bother and went basic med. I’m the end, it just wasn’t worth all the hassle and extra expense.

11 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

When my first renewal came up, I opted to keep my 3rd class medical. The second time was during Covid and the AME was booked out 4 weeks. A few days before my appointment I got sick, not Covid, but I lost my spot and had to reschedule another 4 weeks out. Then just before my next appointment the doctor’s office called and told me the doctor had a family emergency and would need to reschedule. I told them not to bother and went basic med. I’m the end, it just wasn’t worth all the hassle and extra expense.

this is pretty bad behavior from the doctor's office. usually under either of these circumstances they fit you ASAP

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Ugh, can’t find someone to safety pilot who has a medical these days. Seems everyone has been going basic med.

Vote if you have a medical or BasicMed and leave a comment if you fly for work. I’m curious if it’s only professional pilots getting medicals these days.

Just curious and for those that know about this more than I do, I thought one could be a safety pilot with Basic Med as long as it was agreed upon that the Basic Med safety pilot would be PIC while the instrument pilot flew under the hood.  Now I thought the rub came if your insurance would allow this or not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

Just curious and for those that know about this more than I do, I thought one could be a safety pilot with Basic Med as long as it was agreed upon that the Basic Med safety pilot would be PIC while the instrument pilot flew under the hood.  Now I thought the rub came if your insurance would allow this or not.

Not if the safety pilot doesn't have complex, high performance, time in make/model, etc.... plus if you don't really know each other, you might not want to give them that kind of responsibility and they may not want to take it.

• Like 1

Agree with @A64Pilot it's best to get a medical at the appropriate level.  A newly minted CFI that I know decided to get a Class 1 and ended up spending 6 months sorting out anomalies on an EKG that would not have been required with a Class 3.   He then reverted to Class 3 since he has no intentions of flying commercially beyond instruction.

12 minutes ago, 201er said:

Not if the safety pilot doesn't have complex, high performance, time in make/model, etc.... plus if you don't really know each other, you might not want to give them that kind of responsibility and they may not want to take it.

Got it.  Good points.  I usually fly with a friend of mine who has about 1000 hours in Mooneys and 300 or so in C models so I guess I just didn't think about other factors.

Being a buffon as the job of safety pilot is merely to meet the see and therefore avoid, what does medical class have to do with it?

My assumption is the reg was written before there was such a thing as a Basic Med and not changed, I’d call the FSDO and ask.

• Like 1

Why BM? 
you and your physician are IN control NOT the FAA.  Mine was way more comprehensive then Class3 

5 year renewal

J ppl normally <18k anyway

J’s are well with GW limits for BM 

if you have had a valid Medical you qualify for BM.  

This is more for >50.

For example, you schedule your Class3, if nice AME ask him/her to complete entire exam before logging in. According to AME test begins when he logs in.  This way, let’s say your vision was off because you didn’t memorize the letters which some savvy ppl have suggested, not mentioning any names—Hank, then there can be NO failure if he/she has not logged in.  Pay the fee, Fix the eyes and go back. If AME logs in, and any part is not satisfactory FAA is now involved.  

remember If you had a valid Med, you qualify for BM. If you fail any part of your Class 1,2 or 3 medical at renewal then NO BM because requirement to have had a valid Med in past X years won’t be met by the failure.  Just something to think about for older folks like me. 

• Like 1

My experience with the FAA and Basic Med is that there are many risk adverse decisions made to protect themselves.  In their minds, Basic Med is much more risky than a Class 3 medical.  They lose control (no small issue for them) and must trust a physician who doesn't report to them for certification.  I know there are many good people in the FAA and good AMEs, but I do have concerns for how their culture gets translated for General Aviation.

I personally found that my doctor, who I see annually, actually knows me better than the AME I used for years.  I walked my physician through the Basic Med hoops and he is all on board to help me stay healthy and continue to fly.  For me it feels like my physician is pulling for me while visiting the AME felt like a hoop I had to jump through flawlessly to continue to fly.  So in reality, the Basic Med certificate is much more detailed and thorough each year for me, with much less anxiety.  

• Like 2

Safety Pilot Basic Med (AOPA Legal) as of 2017:

https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2017/september/01/basicmed-and-safety-pilots

“Can I fly under BasicMed and act as a safety pilot?” is a common question, and for good reason because the answer is, well, it depends.  But with a quick review of what it means to act as a safety pilot and the relevant limitations of BasicMed, pilots flying under these rules may find it easier to determine when they can act as a safety pilot. 

Changes coming:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2022/february/02/aopa-supports-proposed-expansion-of-basicmed-for-safety-pilots

-Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 201er said:

Great... it only takes 6+ years to correct an oversight they made when bureaucrats passed it in the first place :rolleyes:

Six years is pretty good for the FAA...

I'm on Basic Med because the SI got to be too expensive for me to continue. When I recovered from Colo-rectal Cancer, I got the SI with a CT scan that it had not returned. The FAA continued to want me to get those far after the Insurance company was willing to pay for them. Luckily BM became a real thing as my time was running out on my last SI. So what that I can't fly in the flight levels, my "J" is the last plane I will ever own and it doesn't belong up there, either!

Edited by WaynePierce
added info.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Great... it only takes 6+ years to correct an oversight they made when bureaucrats passed it in the first place :rolleyes:

I was flabbergasted when I found out the the FAA has 90 days to issue an Emergency AD.

So if an Emergency takes three months, I can see business as usual taking years.

1 hour ago, 201er said:

Not technically correct. Basic Med was enacted as legislation by Congress, and went into effect exactly as written. Bureaucrats were not involved. The legislation allows for operating privileges as pilot in command only. It isn't that safety pilots were deliberately excluded, just that the legislation did not address second-in-command or required crewmember status.

Generally when technical corrections to a law are needed, this can be done in under six years. There are current proposals for rulemaking to address this and other issues. Why the FAA has taken so long I cannot answer.

Jon

2 hours ago, hammdo said:

Safety Pilot Basic Med (AOPA Legal) as of 2017:

https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2017/september/01/basicmed-and-safety-pilots

“Can I fly under BasicMed and act as a safety pilot?” is a common question, and for good reason because the answer is, well, it depends.  But with a quick review of what it means to act as a safety pilot and the relevant limitations of BasicMed, pilots flying under these rules may find it easier to determine when they can act as a safety pilot. 

Changes coming:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2022/february/02/aopa-supports-proposed-expansion-of-basicmed-for-safety-pilots

-Don

Just read the first link, so a Beechcraft with a throw over control can’t fly simulated instruments? And if you interpret the rules literally only aircraft with right seat brakes can fly simulated instruments. That’s how they paint themselves into a corner

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

I keep a class 2 as I’m also a corporate pilot, but I’m interested in basic med soon… has anyone seen insurance implications like higher rates or restrictions on coverage limits?

I’ve not and things get Weird, Neighbor flies the Villages Jets for them with no insurence issues, but he’s having problems insuring him in his Bonanza as he’s 70 now I think, then to add insult to injury his wife sells aviation insurence.

Maybe the Jets are two pilot aircraft is why?

There seems to be no logic in insurence, when I bought my Mooney I had I think maybe 25 or 30 hours in type and model, but that was in 1989, since then zero Mooney time, 32 years. I didn’t need any kind of check ride or anything else, but I figured in a year with 100 hours or so more with no accidents rate would go down some, but nope it went up. So where’s the logic?

Edited by A64Pilot

2 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I keep a class 2 as I’m also a corporate pilot, but I’m interested in basic med soon… has anyone seen insurance implications like higher rates or restrictions on coverage limits?

Five months ago I quit my jet job; I was all set to go basic med.  My insurance guy said, "Do Not!".  Apparently, by age 75 (I'm 72), insurance for a retractable is difficult, going BM makes it even more difficult....

I've reverted to third class.

I'd be interested in other insurance opinions for us aging pilots.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Five months ago I quit my jet job; I was all set to go basic med.  My insurance guy said, "Do Not!".  Apparently, by age 75 (I'm 72), insurance for a retractable is difficult, going BM makes it even more difficult....

I've reverted to third class.

I'd be interested in other insurance opinions for us aging pilots.  

I have heard that too, the Lady who sells insurence here runs around saying that.

When I asked why not go basic med until last physical before turning 75, she couldn’t give me an answer.

Another neighbor who’s turning 75 is being insured in his Bonanza by Avemco, according to him they will insure you and your insurence will go up every year by 15%, he’s basic med, a lot of basic med folks know they won’t pass an FAA medical, that’s why they went basic med in the first place

Most around here usually buy an LSA and just self insure. I don’t know how, but LSA rules must be different.

Back in the day not too many years ago used to be you would go to your AME and when it got to where you weren’t going to pass for whatever reason he’d tell you that your not taking an FAA medical anymore, because busting one and not being current are much different.

But as I understand it, they can’t do that anymore, once it’s been begun it can’t stop, you pass or fail, there is no more throwing away the application.

A good friend of mine who was an AME told me to not have your regular Dr as your AME, they know too much about you, so that gave me pause, I understood what he was telling me.

If it wasn’t on the questionnaire and the AME didn’t ask, I didn’t volunteer information, so one year he told me that because of my age, weight and neck size I’d have to have a sleep study, so I asked why, he said I may need a CPAP, I laughed and told him I had been on one for a few years, he wasn’t amused and said I should have reported that, my answer was if the FAA thought it significant, then they should ask, why didn’t they ask?

I mean I had a root canal last month should I have reported that? Why not? The root canal could cause issues at altitude?

I adopted the attitude that the AME is not your enemy, but he’s not your buddy either, don’t volunteer information or ask questions because you have a Dr as a captive audience, I still think that’s the best policy, By the way the CPAP thing is a PIA, special issuance I believe, so I downloaded software that could read my CPAP chip to show compliance, took that report to my regular Dr. and took the letter they wrote to the AME to send to the FAA.

So that’s why I’m basic med now, much less hassle and much less likely to be told you don’t pass this year and your option is a long and laborious expensive process because now that you failed you can’t even fly LSA.

IF I make it to 75 and can still fly, I’ll just self insure. At that age if I lose the airplane so what I was on borrowed time anyway. I don’t believe I have the genetics some do, a couple of people gave up flying this year, they are in their 80’s, I don’t even expect to live that long, much less be flying.

I would think the logical thing for insurence to do would be to require a competency check ride every year above 75, but they don’t. I believe there are so few pilots above 75 that’s it’s not significant profit wise for them.

I don’t expect to be able to fly at 75, neither of my Parents or my Brother or Sister lived that long, I assume I won’t either, but it’s obvious that a set age isn’t a way of telling if someone’s competent or not, some get dementia in their 60’s while some are sharp as a tack at 80.

• Like 1