Dang, Haven't flown since last year

My Mooney is out of shop for annual inspection Friday, flew it yesterday. Suprisingly enough , the 50 year old Ebay purchase had no outstanding ADs, compression 72,72,72,76,74. I got a new baggage door hinge, replaced the nose tire, timed the mags, all for $990.57.
 I will admit that I'm adding my name to the very distinguished list of Mooney pilots that have somehow managed to land short of the threshold by 70 feet! The only excuse I have to offer is that another pilot was with me to witness this! Too bad it didn't happen today then I could blame it on "Dang. haven't flown since last year".

I walked out to the end of the runway to teach myself a lesson , measured everything , no threat to life or limb , but lesson hammered home about doing everything as right as possible. One mistake , could have been expensive, mitigated by being lined up on the center line!  Missed the threshold lights.

I must be the luckiest SOB on the planet!

Have a Happy , Healthy, Holiday!

Disclaimer:

SOB = Squirrel on Board

Anyone flying today? It's a gorgeous new Year's day up here. I think I'm going to go up and exercise the privileges. And the Lycoming too!! She's been slacking since last year!

Quote: sleepingsquirrel

I will admit that I'm adding my name to the very distinguished list of Mooney pilots that have somehow managed to land short of the threshold by 70 feet! The only excuse I have to offer is that another pilot was with me to witness this! Too bad it didn't happen today then I could blame it on "Dang. haven't flown since last year".

I walked out to the end of the runway to teach myself a lesson , measured everything , no threat to life or limb , but lesson hammered home about doing everything as right as possible. One mistake , could have been expensive, mitigated by being lined up on the center line!  Missed the threshold lights.

Congratulations on coming through with an intact aircraft! That is one of the benefits of flying out of a large® airport. You should take a picture of the ground, with a marker where your tires hit, showing the lights, threshhold, etc., for posterity if nothing else.

Landing that short at my home base is not something you would walk away from--it would probably be on the steep kudzu-covered road cut . . . The end-of-runway lights would be the least of your concerns.

The best teachable moments are those that scare the bejeebers out of you without any damage other than a temporary spike in blood pressure and a long-term blush. We've all had one.

As for the rest, I still haven't flown since last year, either. Maybe the 18th?

Have a good rest of the New Year!!