Had no idea what this plane was.

Mcstealth

2 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

I was "what the heck is that"

Never seen one before. 

Called a "Darter?"

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I hate to say it, but I’ve flown one of those. It is like an extra stout and extra slow 172.

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N3773X

It says it has a 180 HP engine and goes 75 MPH. That sounds about right.

Must be a Snail Darter

• Haha 2

Aero Commander 100. It was originally a Volaire 1035 until AC bought it.  Taught a lady to fly in one at KSJC. Cruises about 105 to 110 knots. It is built like a brick outhouse. Nicer handling and easier to fly than a 172. I really like them and consider them superior to a 172. Unfortunately, like Mooney, bad marketing. We have a flying club that has one at my home field. Really easy to maintain and if anything breaks, fabrication is the answer and all the parts are very simple and standard. Don't knock it until you've flown it.  By the way the Darter is 150 hp the Lark is 180 hp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2021 at 2:52 PM, GeeBee said:

Aero Commander 100. It was originally a Volaire 1035 until AC bought it.  Taught a lady to fly in one at KSJC. Cruises about 105 to 110 knots. It is built like a brick outhouse. Nicer handling and easier to fly than a 172. I really like them and consider them superior to a 172. Unfortunately, like Mooney, bad marketing. We have a flying club that has one at my home field. Really easy to maintain and if anything breaks, fabrication is the answer and all the parts are very simple and standard. Don't knock it until you've flown it.  By the way the Darter is 150 hp the Lark is 180 hp.

Yes. This one is the 150hp. I am going to get checked out in it. 

On 11/30/2021 at 1:30 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I hate to say it, but I’ve flown one of those. It is like an extra stout and extra slow 172.

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N3773X

It says it has a 180 HP engine and goes 75 MPH. That sounds about right.

Wait!  Shouldn’t it be FASTER with a Mooney tail?

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Yes. This one is the 150hp. I am going to get checked out in it. 

Yes, PIREP please.

I was  considering buying one years ago, just after getting my PPL (N5551M, I think). I always wondered how it flies comparing the C172. I'm also curious about the small fin (rudder) on the nose wheel pants... Could you legally remove wheel pants if that fin is needed for lateral stability?