Inspecting secret fuel screen

It looks like I do have the secret fuel screen forward of the electric pump. All these years I never knew.

I don't see any reference to continuing maintenance but the SB says that inspecting this at annual is a benefit.

Does the screen come out from the front or rear side of the tube? Is washer AN960-916 replaced at the same time?

ref:http://www.mooney.com/en/sb/M20-222B.pdf

-Robert

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

It looks like I do have the secret fuel screen forward of the electric pump. All these years I never knew.

I don't see any reference to continuing maintenance but the SB says that inspecting this at annual is a benefit.

Does the screen come out from the front or rear side of the tube? Is washer AN960-916 replaced at the same time?

-Robert

Robert,

This was an obvious oversight at Mooney.  We remove and clean them at every annual.  I forget the size of the O ring, but that it the only part you need to change.

Clarence

The funny thing is that I always thought this line looked oddly complex. :) in fact at one point I had to replace the line from this filter to the firewall because it was chaffing and I remembering wondering why the line coming off the pump wasn't standard. Now I'm going around the airport showing owners they have this and they never knew or seviced it, even those that are IAs  

-Robert

I don't think this filter is not listed in the Mooney check list or in the manuals.  Reading all the ADs and SBs provides the details, but few read these as they don't apply to many owners.

Clarence

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I don't think this filter is not listed in the Mooney check list or in the manuals.  Reading all the ADs and SBs provides the details, but few read these as they don't apply to many owners.

Clarence

My manual doesn't mention this optional screen. Maybe it was added in the manual for the J(I'm too lazy load my J manual right now)? Even the SB that allows the filter to be added doesn't mention recurring requirements. Seems like a process issue on Mooney's part   

-Robert

This filter isn't optional for planes with the original dukes -19A fuel pump.  It is mandiatted by an AD unless you have the newer dukes or Weldon pump. The AD is from the early 80's so it may be newer than some of the manuals.

• Like 1

Well unfortunately the SB does not list the seal that is needed when replacing this screen. They list the grommet on the pump side. Does anyone have the P/N handy? Otherwise I'll have to drive out to the airport this weekend and measure the old seal. The only listings on the SB are AN931-3-5/MS29513-006 which are not for the forward side of the assembly.

-Robert

Robert, Where did you pull That the screen form? It almost it looks more like the one from the fuel servo than the inline one after the pump.

The O-ring on the finger screen is just an AN style standard o-ring for that size fitting. I believe it's a -6 line into the screen. Almost like an AN capped plug say on a hyd tank etc.  Aircraft spruce has a nice dipection of fitting sizes in their catalog. The O-ring is not in any parts manual or the SB to install the filter. Dan at lasar didn't know the P/n nor did the factory. 

I checked mine last annual and didn't find any debris, it had not been checked my many IA's prior. 

Please post your findings. 

-Matt

• 3 years later...
On 3/28/2016 at 11:20 PM, RobertGary1 said:

-Robert

I’ll be needing to service my screen- did you ever determine the O-ring size?

On 4/2/2016 at 10:52 PM, RobertGary1 said:

Well unfortunately the SB does not list the seal that is needed when replacing this screen. They list the grommet on the pump side. Does anyone have the P/N handy? Otherwise I'll have to drive out to the airport this weekend and measure the old seal. The only listings on the SB are AN931-3-5/MS29513-006 which are not for the forward side of the assembly.

-Robert

Robert check your pump to make sure that it still an “A” suffix pump.  If the pumps been rebuilt or replaced the filter may be unnecessary.

Sorrry, I should have mentioned that I revived this 3 yr old thread. I thought that the AD requires that ALL pumps be replaced with an “A” pump with a serial number above 1158? [EDIT]- I misread your post. I thought you were saying that not all pumps had to be replaced. ...which is not what you said!

Anyhow, the back-up O-ring specified in SB M20-121B  is an AN6291-6. I believe it’s a leather seal. And LASAR has them

Edited by PilotCoyote

55 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

Sorrry, I should have mentioned that I revived this 3 yr old thread. I thought that the AD requires that ALL pumps be replaced with an “A” pump with a serial number above 1158? [EDIT]- I misread your post. I thought you were saying that not all pumps had to be replaced. ...which is not what you said!

Anyhow, the back-up O-ring specified in SB M20-121B  is an AN6291-6. I believe it’s a leather seal. And LASAR has them

Completely different seal and S/B. The inline filter was required by AD81-18-03 and S/B M20-222.

Clarence

57 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Completely different seal and S/B. The inline filter was required by AD81-18-03 and S/B M20-222.

Clarence

Oops...  my bad.:unsure: 

I had it in my head that the AD that applies to my aircraft specified a new pump that had the same filter screen that was mentioned in this thread. I haven’t been able to find any drawings online that show the difference between the original 1440-00-21 pump and the improved later serial number pump. 

Edited by PilotCoyote

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Robert check your pump to make sure that it still an “A” suffix pump.  If the pumps been rebuilt or replaced the filter may be unnecessary.

I’ve replaced the pump but not found motivation to look into removing the filter. 

-Robert