if you didn't have a mooney, what would you have?

peevee

1 hour ago, peevee said:

I like the vikings, I'd make mine a turbo.

True.. They're rather lackluster performers without. Great handling notwithstanding, the non turbos only run slightly faster than a 201 if you puke 15+gph through them and they have a less cavernous interior (but the valore is a nice touch).:)

14 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

True.. They're rather lackluster performers without. Great handling notwithstanding, the non turbos only run slightly faster than a 201 if you puke 15+gph through them and they have a less cavernous interior (but the valore is a nice touch).:)

You might hang with it at 8 to 10k but above that a turbo is going to leave you behind pretty quick. Just like your 201 will hang with a 231 until you add some altitude. 

Another Mooney?

Something more comfortable landing on short-bumpy-grass strips?

The deluxe plan at my nursing home?

Nope. I'm into long-term relationships. Same old husband, same old car, same old airplane. all a little worse for wear, but I happy.

• Like 4

P-51 of course!  If budgets were unlimited and I didn't have a true practical use for it.

Similar budget:  Probably a Bonanza, Comanche, or C-182

Tail Dragger:  T-6, Swift, RV-8, C-140/170/180

Higher budget:  Piper Malibu (pressurized). Katamai 182, Aerostar (Pressurized), Barron 55

Much Higher Budget:  Cessna 414/421, MU2, P210 Silver Ealge, PropJet Malibu, Meridian, TBM, PC-12, Older King Air B200 with lots of mods, Piaggio Avanti II . . . 

-Seth

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Upgrade the IMSB if you haven't yet done so... I have all of the LN tools for the job if you'd like to borrow them. I am personally acquainted with 2 cars that grenaded with <60K because of IMSB failures.

I upgraded at 100K.  Old double row bearing was good as new.  The upgrade does give me piece of mind.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Not being that familiar with the marque, I looked it up.

It's only a 20amu problem for 1% of the fleet....

http://www.996revolution.com/imsb.html

don't be the 1 percenter, :)

-a-

1% is Porche's number... My anecdotal experience tells me that I must just know a greater portion of those with failures... 

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Not being that familiar with the marque, I looked it up.

It's only a 20amu problem for 1% of the fleet....

http://www.996revolution.com/imsb.html

don't be the 1 percenter, :)

-a-

I think Porsche is similar to airplanes. If they both sit around and not used their more likely to have a catastrophic catastrophe. 

This thing:

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/December/14/Indy-car-speed-with-Prius-fuel-consumption

Dang!:

at 10,500ft, 234TAS on 11.5gph, or 208TAS on 7.6gph, or 175TAS on 4.8gph.

Or at 17,500, 224TAS on 7.3gph.

Dang!

A plane designed to carry 1 person, no luggage and probably limited fuel, empty weight is probably 800lbs so drag from lift and frontal area is minimal. It's all about the weight and parasitic drag.

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

A plane designed to carry 1 person, no luggage and probably limited fuel, empty weight is probably 800lbs so drag from lift and frontal area is minimal. It's all about the weight and parasitic drag.

Something like the Mooney M-18?

M-18.jpg

• Like 1