Why always the right landing light?

PMcClure

I have an Ovation 1 with factory lights. Each side has a taxi light and landing light. The right landing light usually does not last more than 30 hours. I have replaced it at least 3 times in 2 years. The other 3 bulbs have never been replaced. Any thoughts why it's always the right one?

I have an Ovation 1 with factory lights. Each side has a taxi light and landing light. The right landing light usually does not last more than 30 hours. I have replaced it at least 3 times in 2 years. The other 3 bulbs have never been replaced. Any thoughts why it's always the right one?

Odd. I just replaced the right landing light on my Ovation 1. I didn't notice it being loose in the fixture.

On the wing mounted lights once you have skinned up your hands changing these bulbs a few times, LED lights seem much more worth it. Also finding that your incandescent bulb is burned out when going into a dark field makes it worth it.

On another airplane I had the Original Whelen Parmetheus which weren't quite bright enough. On my Ovation I now have the Teledyne Alphabeam which are great and highly recommended. I leave them on whenever the master is on.

+1 for the Whelen Parmetheus Plus. I have four in my Ovation, and love them. I went from the GE bulbs to the "first generation" Parmetheus, and then to the "Plus" just recently...which are 40% brighter than their predecessors. Some folks swear by the HID lights, but they tend to draw more than the LED. They also tend to spread light over a wider lateral angle instead of focusing it on the runway environment, but like other hardware, your personal preference and mileage may vary.

Also took the opportunity to do a pair of Orion OR650E for the wing tips and an OR500 for the tail...the flashing portions all synchronize. I LOVE them. Several towers have commented...particularly at night.

Whelen Orion and Parmetheus: http://www.whelen.com ("Aviation home" --> "New Products")

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the new LED light installed. It will be interesting to compare the differences with the other original lights. I'll let everyone know once I get a chance to go out there at night!

Attached you can see the new LED light on the Right Side verses the standard on the left. The standard is brighter with more coverage, but I was not disappointed by the LED replacement. On landing, there was little noticeable difference. There was almost no current draw on the LED. I will replace the others as they go out. IMG_3009.thumb.jpg.5837935f107ce0e21839b