Ovation model differences

DoctorEvil

Hi Mooniacs,

I am a newbie based in Bristol, UK and just starting my PPL training.
Understand I am jumping the gun a little by looking at plane options already, but I really like the Mooney aircraft and community and feel it would make sense to buy a plane in the coming 12 months that is a little beyond my needs, so I can stretch my legs into it, so to speak.

I would prefer not to buy a PA-28 (what I am training in) and then have to sell it and lose a lot of money when I step up to a Mooney.  Hope this makes some sense.

Having searched the forum already I haven't found a definitive breakdown of the differences between the various Ovation models, so apologies if I missed it.  But if not, could anyone chime in with the notable Ovation differences?

I have read about issues with the Garmin G1000 equipped in some Ovations and wonder if this is still an issue, or likely to be be rectified without a serious panel upgrade if not already resolved?

Are there ay other Ovation specific gotcha's I may run into?

Being 6'3" tall and weighing 92kg I think I should fit in a Mooney, but definitely want the long body and prefer the modern, lowered panel.  I am thinking I am less likely to have to sink a lot of money into a panel upgrade it if the stock equipment is modern and serviceable.  Otherwise I would jump straight to a J and save a lot of money.

From the UK I would like to fly around Europe, all year round once my certification and experience permits it, so FIKI and built in O2 are useful.  Wonder if these can be retrofitted to factory spec if not already in a particular plane I end up buying e.g. not aftermarket stuck on bits?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. 

Thanks and apologies for all the random questions :-]

Edited by DoctorEvil

38 minutes ago, DoctorEvil said:

Hi Mooniacs,

Understand I am jumping the gun a little by looking at plane options already, but I really like the Mooney aircraft and community and feel it would make sense to buy a plane in the coming 12 months that is a little beyond my needs, so I can stretch my legs into it, so to speak.

I would prefer not to buy a PA-28 (what I am training in) and then have to sell it and lose a lot of money when I step up to a Mooney.  Hope this makes some sense.

Having searched the forum already I haven't found a definitive breakdown of the differences between the various Ovation models, so apologies if I missed it.  But if not, could anyone chime in with the notable Ovation differences?

I have read about issues with the Garmin G1000 equipped in some Ovations and wonder if this is still an issue, or likely to be be rectified without a serious panel upgrade if not already resolved?

Being 6'3" tall and weighing 92kg I think I should fit in a Mooney, but definitely want the long body and prefer the modern, lowered panel.  I am thinking I am less likely to have to sink a lot of money into a panel upgrade it if the stock equipment is modern and serviceable.  Otherwise I would jump straight to a J and save a lot of money.

From the UK I would like to fly around Europe, all year round once my certification and experience permits it, so FIKI and built in O2 are useful.  Wonder if these can be retrofitted to factory spec if not already in a particular plane I end up buying e.g. not aftermarket stuck on bits?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. 

Thanks and apologies for all the random questions :-]

Hi Dr. Evil,

I wouldn’t describe the G1000 Ovations as “modern and serviceable” unless you’re buying a new plane. I bought a non-G1000 FIKI Ovation because I wanted to be able to update the panel over time as new technologies came out and with the G1000 you’re pretty much stuck with what you have. If it’s not already upgraded with WAAS you’re going to have a really hard time finding that upgrade. I’d had some icing encounters that I didn’t really care to repeat so FIKI was a big deal for me.

FIKI and O2 should be easy to find (they’re like peanut butter and jelly), just keep in mind a full tank of TKS will cost you a few knots and 100 lb of useful load compared to the non-TKS Ovation. 

As a new pilot I would consider a partnership and building some experience while you take your time to look for your Mooney. There’s a lot of situations you can get yourself into with a FIKI Ovation that your basic private pilot training doesn’t prepare you for.

That being said, they’re not particularly difficult to fly. My son has no problem flying ours “under the hood” (he’s not tall enough to see over the panel) and I’ll bet he could even shoot an approach if I let him. You just have to be more mindful of your energy management than with the Cherokees because if you try to force a Mooney to land when it’s not ready bad things can happen.

What kind of Evil Doctor are you? “Take Over the World” Evil or “Cosmetic Surgery and Nutraceutical Supplement” Evil?

Edited by ilovecornfields
  • Like 1

I bought a 2003 Ovation new. One of the last round gauges before going to glass panels and 6 figure price increase. The picture below is non stop last Christmas eve LA ( OXR ) to Seattle ( TIW ) 4 hours. 

I live in S CA so no FIKI but useful load is 1070#. I carry portable O2 if needed but it is very seldom. I prefer larger useful to AC, O2, FIKI . It is much more frequent to need useful when taking 4 pax, for me in SoCal.

It is my 4th and forever plane. #3 was a '64 twin commanche that was fun to fly but frequently broke and not available to fly. I thought when I could afford it I would buy a brand new plane with a warrantee so finally i did in late 2003 . Mooney took care of the two minor warrantee items quickly without question, ( my thanks to Stacy Ellis always there over years ).

This generation has 2- 24V batteries, two alternators, two vacuum pumps . I have flown a rented glass panel Cirrus a dozen hours across Africa but prefer the round gauges I learned on.

I know a friend who bought an Eagle and learned in it, but thats a handful of stuff moving very fast for a learning pilot. My thought is get a couple hundred hours and Instrument rating in a simple plane then move up. My first plane in 1987 was a junky '75 Cherokee trainer n1424X for $12K with only one vor and crappy radio. I flew it all over North America 400 hours before selling it for same $12K. I then moved up to a '63 D/c n6740U that i bought for $21K including hanger and flew 400 hours added IFR, CFI  ratings and sold for $18K minus hanger. Then i bought the TC n7825Y flew it for 300 hours and sold it back to the same nice guy I bought it from for exactly the same $45K I paid him for it ( he had done the engines, paint , interior and knew the value ) . When I remember the old prices, I feel bad for young people starting now with current prices.....

Good luck 

Tom

0?ui=2&ik=b6dd014840&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1714429436806740752&th=17cae07d4556bb10&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-avqoFS04O7sV4OZWcavYvq3-Rype7Fwl3ebBKhW97jG8Fq2oI50YQulAz59a66rug-zY3--IzbmjGoPoN-e7xD7efckqjeBWVG_izeWyfjTCN_TsuX6Ygsss&disp=emb

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 12:28 PM, DoctorEvil said:

Hi Mooniacs,

First off, congrats on starting your training.  Here are a few points from someone who only has just short of 1500 hours in an Ovation…and loved every minute of it.  I’ve gone through 3 major and one minor cockpit upgrade to the airplane…as well as an engine and prop change, full LED conversion, and flap/gap seal installation.

As far as model differences:

• Ovations from years 1994 through 2004 are the most upgradable.  The panel heights are irrelevant and a non-issue when considering a partial or major upgrade.  Your seat is fully-adjustable.  I’m 6’4” and 230 pounds, and I have to adjust the seat forward 9 inches to fit to the rudder pedals properly.  Again, panel height is a non-issue.
  • I’ve flown the “J” also, and can tell you it is a completely different animal than an Ovation…both in the way you fly it and maintain it.  They aren’t “night and day”, but are dramatically different in terms of speed and capabilities.  If your heart is set on an Ovation, I can tell you that once you fly in one, and also a “J”, you won’t want anything but the Ovation.
  • The older STEC-equipped G1000 airplanes are less-desired today over older models for two major reasons:  1. The upgrade options are extremely limited, and 2. They are cost-prohibitive to upgrade if you can find the kits and HW desired.
  • Ovation Models from 2005 to present, as you know, are G1000-equipped.  Some of those (mainly after 2006) were equipped with GFC700 autopilots, but many had the STEC-55X.  Not a bad autopilot…just not as robust and capable as the GFC700.
  • An STEC-equipped G1000 airplane will cost you more to upgrade to GFC700, WAAS and SVT than if you were to fully upgrade a 1994 through 2004 model…and these older models will be more capable and more technologically-advanced.  I’m basing this off what I consider to be a high-end install/upgrade (G500TXi, GTN750Xi and 650Xi, EDM930 engine monitor, GI275 or ESI500 backup ADI, modern audio panel, Active Traffic, ADS/B In and Out, and a newly-cut and silkscreened panel).
  • TKS can be installed on a non-such equipped airplane for roughly $75,000USD.  Given the resale value on an airplane where one chooses to add this upgrade is less than half the investment, it makes sense to find an airplane with it already installed.
  • Factory O2 installations are north of $12,000USD.  Some folks choose an alternative non-permanent installation for less, but this is an individual decision.
  • To appreciate the full dispatch capabilities of the airplane, you’ll want both approved known-ice and Oxygen.  Things like a 310HP upgrade and a full cockpit retrofit can be added later, but for starters, I suggest you focus on your training first; and when ready, then look for an Ovation with no corrosion (good bones), known ice, and built-in oxygen.

Again, congrats on your training, and fly safe!  Hope this helps.

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the great advice, much appreciated and all really helpful.

@StevenL757 During those hours racked up on the Ovation, did you ever wish you had gone turbo?
I know many say it is an extra thing to maintain and possibly fail, but there are many positives to a turbo as well, so just wondered if the Ovation does "do it all" for you and you don't feel a turbo is needed.  Now you have had it for a long time?

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by DoctorEvil

5 hours ago, DoctorEvil said:

Thank you all for the great advice, much appreciated and all really helpful.

@StevenL757 During those hours racked up on the Ovation, did you ever wish you had gone turbo?
I know many say it is an extra thing to maintain and possibly fail, but there are many positives to a turbo as well, so just wondered if the Ovation does "do it all" for you and you don't feel a turbo is needed.  Now you have had it for a long time?

Cheers,

Rob

I owned it from Aug. 2010 until just a couple of months ago.  Never wished I had a turbo during that time, as I live in NY and really only would've needed it on the West coast.  As I think more about it tho, our family plans may call for a move in the near future which would put that territory in reach more often, so our second (travelling) aircraft will likely be a turbocharged single or twin piston, or a turboprop.  The Ovation has, however, performed brilliantly, and I truly do miss it.

The 310HP upgrade and Acclaim Type-S prop gave me climb performance without sacrificing cruise performance...as that prop is thinner than the "standard" 7693/DF-2 Hartzell scimitar.  Although I flew LOP just about every time up, it truly was close to a 190-knot machine despite TKS and a couple of extra antennas for the bells and whistles.  Coupls of pics added here...taken just before it was sold.

Exterior.jpeg

Cold-Dark Cockpit.jpeg

Cockpit Powered.jpeg

Front.jpeg

• Like 2

Just to provide some clarity to the OP's original request, here's my understanding of the Ovation evolution.  This is done from memory and general knowledge, so there may be some inconsistencies which I encourage others to point out.

1994 - Original production.  IO-550 rated at 280 HP via a reduction in max RPM to 2500.  Three bladed McCauley prop, standard steam gauges, King avionics various other options available.

1999 - Eagle variant introduced, reduced HP to 244 with RPM restriction, lighter weight cabin materials to compensate, fewer options to keep weight down. 

2000 - Ovation 2 introduced, switch to Garmin 430 avionics, two bladed McCauley prop, other options available.

2003 - DX introduced, Garmin 530/430 and rearranged panel to use Moritz gauges, 3-bladed Hartzell prop, etc.

2005 - GX introduced, G1000 avionics, option to increase HP to Ovation 3 310 HP by increasing max continuous RPM to 2700, first by STC and later by Mooney factory.

2018-19 - Ultra introduced, two door cabin, G1000 NXi, composite cabin, etc.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

Just to provide some clarity to the OP's original request, here's my understanding of the Ovation evolution.  This is done from memory and general knowledge, so there may be some inconsistencies which I encourage others to point out.

1994 - Original production.  IO-550 rated at 280 HP via a reduction in max RPM to 2500.  Three bladed McCauley prop, standard steam gauges, King avionics various other options available.

1999 - Eagle variant introduced, reduced HP to 244 with RPM restriction, lighter weight cabin materials to compensate, fewer options to keep weight down. 

2000 - Ovation 2 introduced, switch to Garmin 430 avionics, two bladed McCauley prop, other options available.

2003 - DX introduced, Garmin 530/430 and rearranged panel to use Moritz gauges, 3-bladed Hartzell prop, etc.

2005 - GX introduced, G1000 avionics, option to increase HP to Ovation 3 310 HP by increasing max continuous RPM to 2700, first by STC and later by Mooney factory, who used the Minnis STC to do that.

2018-19 - Ultra introduced, two door cabin, G1000 NXi, composite cabin, etc.

Hope that helps.

I purchased my screaming eagle while I was half way though my ppl training.  I switched over to training in my own plane and took my ppl test in it and then my IFR rating.  It is a amazing plane and though I am biased, I believe this is the best of the ovations.  I found one with FIKI, on board oxygen, dual aspens, dual WAAS 430's and STEC 55x.  Happy as can be with the plane and it's abilities.  The last couple of years, I have been putting 200 hours on it each year and it is an amazing time machine.

I have an O1 from ‘94…

Options to choose from were…

1) Built in O2

2) Fiki anti-ice system

3) AC….

4) Added 310hp and TopProp later…

5) Adding WAAS for flying in IMC is a modern update…

6) increasing fuel to 130gallons is possible…

Ovations came fully loaded with all kinds of niceties for the time…

Updating the panel to add multiple color screens takes forethought….

Go O!

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

Ovation 3 - G1000 and GFC700 with built in O2 and no TKS no AC to max payload.  

I do not fly when there is a risk of icing here in the PNW. Even FIKI airplanes have a hard time with icing here and SLD's. make icing technology close to irrelevant. 

Amazing travel machine for the price. Nothing compares in the used aircraft market in terms of value in in my opinion. 

20210318_023421197_iOS.jpg

1 hour ago, Healthpilot said:

make icing technology close to irrelevant. 

Really?! I think it’s still pretty relevant but maybe it’s like a turbo where you don’t see the point until you have one and see what it can do.

Can TKS get overwhelmed by ice? Absolutely. Any de-icing system can. Is it irrelevant? No way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No AC in Seattle is an easy decision... And read my comment again... I am not saying that TKS is useless. But rather that it can give people a false sense of safety. I actually come from a Cirrus SR22 G3 Turbo and TKS equipped (not FIKI) and in the PNW I saw what it can and cannot do. Go read how these systems (even FIKI) are tested and certified. People here tend to over-rely on them in my opinion. And even a FIKI system cannot allow you to fly through a SERIOUS SLD ICING encounter on large frontal areas like we get here for a few months per year. So in that case having or not having TKS becomes close to irrelevant. You should have diverted or you still need to fly around weather or you should have stayed on the ground regardless.  On top of that no TKS means that I can load more fuel to fly around weather so not sure it is worth the cost and the weight here.   

• Like 1

The Ovation is a great airplane, but if you are considering flying all over Europe, it is NOT the airplane for you.  By the time you hit 11,000 feet it's really starting to poop out in climb performance.  That even goes for the 310 HP conversion that is absolutely terrific on a sea level climb, but also poops out at the higher altitudes. The turbocharged Mooney models have critical altitudes (i.e. 100% power to the critical altitude) over 20,000 feet.  The comfort of going up into the high teens or even 25,000 feet in the turbocharged Mooney models cannot be overestimated, if you plan on flying the Alps or other mountainous areas.

As far as extra costs go, expect a turbo and waste gate overhaul midtime and a lot more money on an engine change at TBO should you choose a turbo version.

Regarding training in a high performance Mooney, it can be done (you can always fly the plane slow), but expect it to take more time to get your rating.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, donkaye said:

The Ovation is a great airplane, but if you are considering flying all over Europe, it is NOT the airplane for you.  By the time you hit 11,000 feet it's really starting to poop out in climb performance.  That even goes for the 310 HP conversion, that is absolutely terrific on a sea level climb, but also poops out at altitudes.  The comfort of going up into the high teens or even 25,000 feet in the turbocharged Mooney Models cannot be overestimated if you plan on flying the Alps or other mountainous areas.

As far as extra costs go, expect a turbo and waste gate overhaul midtime and a lot more money on an engine change at TBO should you choose a turbo version.

Regarding training in a high performance Mooney, it can be done (you can always fly the plane slow), but expect it to take more time to get your rating.

I would think that you could fly an Ovation 3 pretty much to and from anywhere in Europe actually. I have no prob with climbing performance (310HP STC) to well over 14,000 in the Ovation. Beyond that level of course climb performance suffers a bit. It really depends if from UK you want to fly to Italy a lot you don't have to necessarily fly over Mont Blanc so not a real problem. I used to live in Italy and fly gliders over the Alps btw. But that's another story for another day :)

20210316_231059885_iOS.jpg

2 hours ago, Healthpilot said:

No AC in Seattle is an easy decision... And read my comment again... I am not saying that TKS is useless. But rather that it can give people a false sense of safety. I actually come from a Cirrus SR22 G3 Turbo and TKS equipped (not FIKI) and in the PNW I saw what it can and cannot do. Go read how these systems (even FIKI) are tested and certified. People here tend to over-rely on them in my opinion. And even a FIKI system cannot allow you to fly through a SERIOUS SLD ICING encounter on large frontal areas like we get here for a few months per year. So in that case having or not having TKS becomes close to irrelevant. You should have diverted or you still need to fly around weather or you should have stayed on the ground regardless.  On top of that no TKS means that I can load more fuel to fly around weather so not sure it is worth the cost and the weight here.   

I believe your words were “close to irrelevant.”  I still disagree with that statement.

There’s nothing wrong with TKS. It is a tool. If someone exercises poor judgement and used the wrong tool for the job then that doesn’t mean the tool is faulty—that pilots decision making was.

I’ve been in ice a few times with my TKS (both  intentionally and  unintentionally) and it performed flawlessly for what I needed it to do. I don’t go cruise around in thunderstorms at freezing level and rarely fly when I expect to get ice, but it’s certainly a nice tool to have at my disposal when things don’t go as planned and it gives me some options that would otherwise be pretty unappealing (like wetting the wings and descending through a status layer that may contain ice).

Having owned a FIKI aircraft I don’t anticipate I will ever own a plane without ice protection (just like the turbo guys love their turbos). I know we all like to rationalize why the decisions we made are the “best” but maybe keep in mind that other intelligent people might see things differently and choose words more carefully when making broad generalizations.

I am not aware of any FIKI Mooneys involved in icing accidents in the last 10 years. If you have some details on this that led you to your conclusions I would be very interested in reading about it.

Edited by ilovecornfields
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Healthpilot said:

I would think that you could fly an Ovation 3 pretty much to and from anywhere in Europe actually. I have no prob with climbing performance (310HP STC) to well over 14,000 in the Ovation. Beyond that level of course climb performance suffers a bit. It really depends if from UK you want to fly to Italy a lot you don't have to necessarily fly over Mont Blanc so not a real problem. I used to live in Italy and fly gliders over the Alps btw. But that's another story for another day :)

I, too, have flown the regular 280 HP Ovation across the US many times, while on tour with one of my students.  Several times flying the MEA Westbound I needed to get to 16,000 feet.  It was a struggle and my GS was 70 knots at times, since the winds at altitude were huge and there was no option to go lower.  The flexibility of turbocharging could really have been used.  Certainly the 310 HP is better, but that just means you have a little more power to go a little higher.  I personally like to be at least 5,000 feet above the highest obstacle and like climb capability at those altitudes for unexpected turbulence or other potential emergency situations.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Healthpilot said:

if my only experience were in a no-hazard cirrus, I would share your opinion of the Mooney FIKI TKS, maybe.

that cirrus installation is woefully inadequate.

I have owned a tks-equipped Mooney for 17 years, split between a no-hazard 231 and a FIKI Acclaim. A properly operating TKS system will allow escape from quite a lot of ice.  My worst icing encounter was in the 231 over the mountains of Washington State one summer.  They system kept up fine.

I totally agree with @donkayethat the turbo opens up all kinds of options.

-dan

• Like 3

22 hours ago, donkaye said:

I, too, have flown the regular 280 HP Ovation across the US many times, while on tour with one of my students.  Several times flying the MEA Westbound I needed to get to 16,000 feet.  It was a struggle and my GS was 70 knots at times, since the winds at altitude were huge and there was no option to go lower.  The flexibility of turbocharging could really have been used.  Certainly the 310 HP is better, but that just means you have a little more power to go a little higher.  I personally like to be at least 5,000 feet above the highest obstacle and like climb capability at those altitudes for unexpected turbulence or other potential emergency situations.

I agree with Punk Rock Don. There are certainly times above 12k feet when I really wished I had a turbo…although when it’s time to overhaul my engine I’ll be really glad I don’t.

• Like 1

No aircraft is approved to fly through SLD. Not even jets with hot wings. My experience flying through ice in the Ovation is that it does what it’s supposed to do if used correctly. I live in the NE and we get icing here September through May. Just about every IFR flight between those months I pick up ice. I have only experienced moderate icing at the worst case but TKS took care of it no problem. If I didn’t have TKS I wouldn’t be able to fly 8 months out of the year. The TKS system is much better than boots. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

No aircraft is approved to fly through SLD. Not even jets with hot wings. My experience flying through ice in the Ovation is that it does what it’s supposed to do if used correctly. I live in the NE and we get icing here September through May. Just about every IFR flight between those months I pick up ice. I have only experienced moderate icing at the worst case but TKS took care of it no problem. If I didn’t have TKS I wouldn’t be able to fly 8 months out of the year. The TKS system is much better than boots. 

That comment is inappropriate. Mooneyspace has a long tradition of people who have no experience with something telling those who do what is what. Someone who actually has a TKS Mooney and has flown it in icing conditions commenting on how a TKS Mooney behaves in icing conditions totally defeats the purpose of this long established tradition.

Let’s get back on track…I’ve only flown a turbo Mooney once but I don’t want one because they’re ugly and smell bad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

One other Mooneyspace tradition seems to be forgetting who asked the question and what question was asked. In this case the question was asked by a fairly new pilot and it was: "... I would like to fly around Europe, all year round once my certification and experience permits it." 

The answer to a student pilot transitioning from a Cherokee is yes you may be able to fly all around Europe with O2 and with no TKS and with no turbo for most of the year. No fairly new pilot should fly voluntarily or find himself involuntarily in icing conditions. Period. FIKI or no FIKI. Again here in Seattle and personally I wouldn't fly a TKS equipped light aircraft in our thick, persistent, serious and broad icing conditions. I am not talking summer flying or thunderstorms. I am talking the kind of icing we get here this time of the year and for at least 3 to 5 months per year. Just go check icing in November in PNW and you will get why "TKS is close to irrelevant" here in these conditions. Regardless. His question was about purchasing his aircraft and transitioning from a PA 28. I am sure TKS Mooney are close to magic in heavy icing encounters but for a new pilot in the UK paying well over $75k STC install to get some marginal additional value (maybe - since for a couple of years there is no way for him to truly use TKS to increase number of real flyable missions) combined with the certainty of the additional cost, maintenance, and a 100lb loss of weight doesn't make sense IMHO. Similar trade off's for the turbo. My 2c.