Silicone Mooney Door Seal

jetdriven

OK time to post again.  Thanks for the strong interest in a silicone door and/or baggage door seal. It seems we have a market. I've ordered from Guy before and IIRC he used a Paypal invoice. I'll let him indicate how he wants to be paid for the seals. My job is to quantify demand and to help design a superior seal.

Silicone door weatherstrip sounds, from Guy, like bulk milspec material. If that doesn't satisfy you then you can call it owner-produced. To qualify for that you can inspect it and determine if it conforms to its type design, that is, to seal water from leaking in. I'd also say the added benefit it to keep air from leaking out.

I'm going to take some clay moldings of my door gaps, fire them, then cut into profile sections, and send those in, along with samples of the old seal.  If anyone else would like tohelp with this, email me for details. More data points would be great. This may take a week or two to get the extrusion die dimensions spot on.

Of particular concern is durometer of the seal and the different gap dimensions of the front and the rear of the cabin door.  I'd say I'll have the prototype seal on my plane in a month, and if no snags, then he can ship them then. Due to timing issues (I am gone 20 days a month in a row) it may take a little longer, but I would rather be late on a good product than on time with something that isnt. No obligation if I cannot make this work. We just want to make sure there is a market for 900$ worth of tooling to bring this project to life.

Lood, I will see to it you get your seals shipped to SA.

Roll call. If your name is not on the right list or is incorrect, email me at bdr737@gmail.com  For the rest of you who have just seen this and want one, simply post to the thread as before. I will update the roll call. Thanks to all of you for the interest.

Baggage door

jetdriven

testwest

podair

Ned Gravel

Lood

MooneyBob

mike_elliott

BobAustin

1964-M20E

marauder

orionflt

romair

sreid

KSMooniac

aaronk25

chrisk

BigTex

drapo

flyingvee201

Rustler

N1395W - pending

thinwing

Cabin door seal

jetdriven

testwest

PMClure

Ned Gravel

Lood

MooneyBob

BobAustin

1964-M20E

orionflt

romair

sreid

KSMooniac - pending

aaronk25

chrisk

BigTex

drapo

Cris

flyingvee201

Rustler

N1395W - pending

thinwing

Once the tooling is made, is this going to be a regularly stocked item, or is this just a one time thing? In addition to getting people here to commit, might I suggest that you contact the various MSCs. Based on the reputation of Gee-Bee in the past, I bet most would take a set to have on hand. If they like it, no doubt you will quickly become the preferred vendor for an item that needs replacement frequently.

I'm amazed at the need. So cool to see everyone's interest! I took a look at the nose baggage seals on a citation and they looked to be exactly what we are all wanting.

Both for me too!

Let us know what the plan is.

Way to go Byron!

-Matt

I would be interested in a set too however... I always ask.... how much is it going to cost? With the large number of people interested, I guess this shall bring the price down right?

Yves

In the first post I estimated 100$ for the cabin door seal and 60$ for the baggage door seal. I'll talk to Guy after he gets an idea of his costs to produce, we may need one extrusion die, maybe three. And perhaps a round or two of prototype seals. Is his call but I think we can remain on budget.

I always give stocking dealers a chance to stock

Iam open to your suggestions on dealers you recommend.

GB

Here is a listing of the MSCs-

http://www.mooney.com/service-support/mooney-service-centers-3.html

I'm sure the bigger ones like LASAR, Top Gun, Don Maxwell, Southwest Texas Aviation, Dugosh, Advanced Aircraft, Willmar Air Service, Cole and a few others would be interested.

Just curious about all those that have signed up. What is the primary reason you want these new seals?

• Leaking water
  • Wind noise
  • Look crappy
  • Missing altogether
  • All of the above

Seems like a lot of demand, yet replacing mine isn't high on my list of things to do. Just wondering if I got lucky and have good ones, or what? I guess the fact that I hangar my plane and it rarely ever has rain touch it might be a factor.