Fuel Sumping - Where does the fuel go?

Where does the fuel go after sumping? (at your home base)  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Where does the fuel go after sumping? (at your home base)

Where do you put the fuel after sumping it from the tanks?  Do you throw it back on the ground?  Use a filter and put it back in the tanks?  Power up something else in your hanger?  Let me know, as I'm curious what most of us do. 

To simplify the poll, consider this only for your home base.  I understand things may be different on the road.

So far, I do not put fuel back in wings, I instead either put it into a generator I keep in my hanger or throw it on the ground (which is bad for the environment, but I admit it).  When I'm away, it goes on the ground.

I probably should get one of those fuel sumps with a screen, and reuse the sumped fuel as long as it seems safe, but want to know what your standard operating procedures are.

Take care and in advance, thank you,

-Seth

Return it to where it came from - the ground.

After a semi-traumatic event last year, I never poor fuel back into the tanks.  I have one of those GATS jars that supposedly filters the fuel as you pour it back in.  But after having an episode of fuel contamination while flying last year, I refuse to recycle.  I almost lost complete engine power after contaminants made it into the injectors.

I realized the flaw in the GATS design - dirt is caught by the screen as fuel flows into the jar, and then gets picked back up as the fuel flows out of the jar and into your tank.

Pretty scary when you think about all the funk that collects near the drain, and then pouring it into you tanks...

I use the GATS jar. Back in the wing it goes unless there is tons of stuff floating in there or there's water. Haven't had any water yet. Had a bit of a debris problem early on, but it seems to have slowed down now.

I collect the fuel with a GATS jar, then pour it into a larger jar through a paper coffee filter, inspect it for water, then pour it back into the tank through the coffee filter once more.  I know, it's belts and suspenders.

I generally sump fuel, open the caps to actually see the fuel in the tank, then pour the clean fuel back into the tank.  If I were to find anything I'll take Nick's answer :).

On a related note- how frequently do you find things in the fuel?  I've seen some small particulate matter in very small volumes, but I've never found anything when sumping the tanks that makes me concerned about contamination.

I'll generally return the sample to the tanks.  Rarely, if ever, have I seen water or other contamination in the sample.  That said, if there were water or FOD, it wouldn't go back to the tank.

For the shot glass or two of fuel that hits the ground, I'd rather toss it there and watch the evaporation, 100LL evaporates quick - jet fuel not so much - kind of a quick and dirty second check.... 

Also for those concerned about fuel hitting the ground - what do you do for the fuel that comes out of the gascolator?? kinda tough to pull the ring and catch the fuel at the same time solo....

You can push your fuel sampler rod into the gascolator drain just like the wing sumps.

I can sump the fuel for 22 preflights before it equals a gallon. About half the time I pour it back in, but the 18c a side I save per flight is balanced by putting another cycle on those 2,000$ each fuel caps.  Checking the fuel visually, leaving the cap off, then sumping the fuel, pouring it back in, and then securing the fuel cap saves the extra cycle, but thats a lot of steps.

Now, for 22 flights, thats a gallon of gas on the ground, and that is 1.2-2 grams of lead per gallon.  We might have poured a gallon out last year. However, whenever you start up your engine, taxi out, and fly away, that lead still ends up in the environment. It jet went out through the tailpipe instead of on the ground. So I fail to see the environmental argument.

i've used the GATS jar  for 10 years now and let it's filter out the gunk.  Back to the tank it goes.

Embry Riddle got a BIG fine about 6 years ago (maybe a bit more) for dumping.  It was calculated that they dumped over 100 gal over some time period.  They now have sump cans spread all over their field.

BILL

Quote: jetdriven

I can sump the fuel for 22 preflights before it equals a gallon. About half the time I pour it back in, but the 18c a side I save per flight is balanced by putting another cycle on those 2,000$ each fuel caps.  Checking the fuel visually, leaving the cap off, then sumping the fuel, pouring it back in, and then securing the fuel cap saves the extra cycle, but thats a lot of steps.

Quote: N601RX

I've been told before that there is a pretty hefty fine for throwing it on the ground.

Florida law prohibits dumping "sumped" aviation fuel on the ground (soil, pavement, or waterway). Violators are subject to a fine of up to $50,000. See Section 403.727, Florida Statutes for details.