bifocals versus progressive lenses....

rturbett

So,

It's come time for me to upgrade my vision- 

I'm concerned about the difference in bifocals versus progressive lenses.  

From my limited time trying bifocals, I like the ability to keep my head straight, and still look down to the side and take advantage of the nearsighted correction.

I'm told with progressive lenses, you should always point your nose at what you want to see close up.

I'm looking for peoples opinion on flying with both. Since lasik is out for now, I'd love  to hear from the experienced.

Thanks,

Rob

I've flipped back and forth between both.  Fortunately I need little distance correction; mostly reading.  You sit so close to the panel in the Mooney, I settled on bifocals.  You've just gotta make sure the transition line is at the right place in the lens.  I have a set of lightly tented glasses I keep in the plane just for flying and an extra set of readers just in case.    

BTW, I had a hard time with lenses that were more wrapped than flat.  Felt like I was in a fishbowl.  The wrapped lenses always look cooler but they didn't work as well for me.  Same with progressive; a bit of a fishbowl effect.  I'll be interested to see what others say too; my next eye appointment is this Monday.  

Get progressives, but get the best ones. Shamir lenses are outstanding. You can see everything clearly, with less "nose pointing" at what you want to see. You retain excellent peripheral vision to help with your landings. They cost more, but you will only regret not getting them sooner.

• Like 3

I really like using progressives and didn’t take long to get use to them after 45 years with no glasses.  For me, everything is “far” except reading a map or phone, so the instrument panel is “far” and it’s easy to see it and outside.

• Like 1

Whichever direction you go, even just readers, sit in your Mooney and measure the distance to the panel. The lenses can be made for that distance.

For an inexpensive pair to test the concept, check www.zennioptical.com 

Their regular glasses are very good, so far that's all that I need. My last order was 1 pair Transitions for everyday wear wear, and three pair of sunglasses (one for each vehicle), just over 2 AMUs. Bifocal and progressives are add-ons.

• Like 1

I agree with Hank. When I had to go with a set of glasses my guy had me measure to my dash and set the glasses up to focus there. And he set the heights of the bifocal so that the lens transition was at the line between the instrument panel and the pad. Makes for a pretty seamless experience for me but your mileage may vary

Progressives from Method Seven with transition lenses, I measured distances to panel,lap and outside provided them with dimensions. I believe I found the format n an AOPA magazine years ago. Normal head eye movement works great, don’t have to point nose etc at what I’m trying to see.

I recently bought a pair of Foster Grant bifocal aviator sunglasses that have the transition line that falls just right at the top of the instruments.  I found them at CVS on the rack.   The left temple has stamped on it: "NS1022 FGSR1903 DGN" 

My distance vision is perfect with +1.25.   I wish I could find bifocals that are 1.25 over 1.5 or 1.75.

2 minutes ago, Danb said:

Progressives from Method Seven with transition lenses, I measured distances to panel,lap and outside provided them with dimensions. I believe I found the format n an AOPA magazine years ago. Normal head eye movement works great, don’t have to point nose etc at what I’m trying to see.

I have tried specifying " 1) way out, 2) arms-length (about 36 inches), and 3) close-up (like a book in my lap)" but no joy.  I'll check out Method Seven.

4 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I recently bought a pair of Foster Grant bifocal aviator sunglasses that have the transition line that falls just right at the top of the instruments.  I found them at CVS on the rack.   The left temple has stamped on it: "NS1022 FGSR1903 DGN" 

My distance vision is perfect with +1.25.   I wish I could find bifocals that are 1.25 over 1.5 or 1.75.

I have significant astigmatism so glasses off the rack are a non-starter for me.  I know lots of people who get by with them, but I can't do it.

I used readers or off-the-shelf bifocals for many years and then switched to progressives that are essentially trifocals.   Took about ten minutes to adapt to the narrow field of the bottom region of the progressives.   For me the progressives have been great, with zero issues in the airplane.

• Like 2

hey all!

+1 for progressives…

1) driving and flying are very comfortable for the same reasons… distance to the IP are similar…  I use the same glasses for both… and using my iPad at the kitchen table… :)

2) challenges… golf, skiing, running… the distance to the ball, bumps, and ground, matter…

3) contacts… same challenges, different solutions… 

4) a second pair of glasses with no transition really helps…

5) the outdoor glasses get that ‘transitions’… automatic tint adjust…

6) it is a pain… when you realize that the map my run app is hard to read while jogging…

7) with good glasses, fit properly…  you may wake up one day forgetting how complex your eyewear corrections actually are…

then another day… you forget your glasses were on, and crush them… messing up the fit, has a constant reminder to go see the doc and get something adjusted… :)

PP thoughts only, not an eye care professional…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

I used bifocals for 5 years and when I first got fitted my optometrist had me sit in the plane and make a mark with a sharpie where the glare shield sight line hit my glasses.  Then after 5 years in a moment of vanity I switched to non bifocal contacts and I love the depth perception.  Now I use contacts for distance and Method Seven sunglasses with bifocal reading glasses.  Without a doubt Method Seven( As Danb mentioned ) makes the best pilot eye protection that I have ever used.  You can measure the distance from your eyes to the panel and have your optometrist measure the magnification needed for your readers at the actual measurement .  Method Seven makes sunglass in different strengths so you can cut down on the glare and add the bifocal readers.

Jim

I did not measure or plan in any way, but knowing some of the people from FLying Eyes, I just ordered their bifocals with gradient tint when I was ready.  They work perfectly for me, and are excellent materials.  I cannot compare to Method 7, the other popular choice.  I use OTC readers for night flight.  Like @Ragsf15e everything is clear for me except reading range.  Small text on the panel, like the JPI 800, and the ipad can be seen without squinting with the bifocals, and looking down.   

25 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Aging eyes have interesting properties…

the distance sight get sharper over time…

as the close in sight gets weaker…

Something to do with the eyeball changing shape as it ages…

This helps plan your next visit to the eye Dr…

I'm nearsighted, and told doc that I was anxiously waiting for age-related farsightedness to kick in and balance things out. He said, "it doesn't work that way . . ." 

:angry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Hank said:

I'm nearsighted, and told doc that I was anxiously waiting for age-related farsightedness to kick in and balance things out. He said, "it doesn't work that way . . ." 

:angry:

I got the simple eye issues…

went out of focus at around age 17….

And have been drifting slowly over time… with age…. :)

Best regards,

-a-

+1 for bifocals. I've been wearing them for 29 years. Measure the distance from instrument panel to eye at your normal seating position and the optometrist will then set the near vision magnification accordingly. Set the bifocal line to fall aligned with the forward edge of the glareshield. I keep my iPad on the right yoke and pinch & zoom as needed. 

I tried progressive lenses in '94 and found the depth perception to be scary when flying or driving. Although I'm certain they've improved since then I've never felt the need to abandon the bifocals. IOW, if something works, don't fix it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, C.J. said:

I tried progressive lenses in '94 and found the depth perception to be scary when flying or driving. Although I'm certain they've improved since then I've never felt the need to abandon the bifocals. IOW, if something works, don't fix it.

If you ever want to go back to progressives, get the more expensive glass (plastic, really).  Commonly called "high-index" glass, it's just a plastic with a higher refractive index.

With my first pair of progressives, I fell on stairs a couple of times, and had to go back for regular old-fashioned bifocals.  When I found an ophthalmologist who knew what he was doing, I tried progressives again with high-index glass.  It was a night-and-day difference.  I walked out with my new glasses, looked around a bit, and never again suffered the disorienting effect of the cheaper glass.

• Like 1

I have Progressive and am VERY happy with them.  HOWEVER!!!!  Not all Progressive are the same!

There are two types of Progressive lenses (probably per manufacturer) where the center "hour glass" portion of the lens can be VERY NARROW or a bit wider.  You will NOT like the narrow one.  You end up moving your head back and forth if you're trying to use the mid range, which is probably where a lot of your panel will be.  If you get the wider ones I bet you'll be very happy.  I've heard stories where some people take a long time to get use to them,  but it took me basically no time at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Aging eyes have interesting properties…

the distance sight get sharper over time…

as the close in sight gets weaker…

Something to do with the eyeball changing shape as it ages…

This helps plan your next visit to the eye Dr…

Best regards,

-a-

Good to have you back BTW…

Only a few folks experience the “second sight”improved distance vision based on eye lens refractive index change, and it is an early sign of cataract formation so it is short lived.  It can occur in longstanding presbyopic (farsighted) people and some 20/20 vision folks but not the vast numbers of us who are myopic.  

As far as glasses, I’m partial to progressives where the middle power field lets me read the panel and the high power field lets me read the ipad mini on the yoke. I’ve as yet to find the perfect fit but will follow up on some of the suggestions in this thread….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only precise progressive is the Shamir lense. You don't need to take any measurements of panel to eyeball, etc. They even make a polarized version that is the only lens that will allow you to still read GPS displays with no trouble. They did cost $600 with Rayban frames. But WOW.

Nothing else comes close to these lenses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rturbett said:

So,

It's come time for me to upgrade my vision- 

I'm concerned about the difference in bifocals versus progressive lenses.  

From my limited time trying bifocals, I like the ability to keep my head straight, and still look down to the side and take advantage of the nearsighted correction.

I'm told with progressive lenses, you should always point your nose at what you want to see close up.

I'm looking for peoples opinion on flying with both. Since lasik is out for now, I'd love  to hear from the experienced.

Thanks,

Rob

Don't do lasik. You will regret it later when you get halos at night from the circular scar caused by the corneal flap incision. Several friends had it done, and all are having problems with night vision due to this. One friend had RK done years ago, and is at risk of losing his medical due to the vision problems caused by the RK procedure. Very bad effects, he gets a starry kind of halo, much worse than the Lasik halo effect.