Acceptable Single Malt for Established Gentlemen Aviators

jlunseth

Let me start this thread, for the sake of the moderators, by pointing out that it is a continuation of something raised in the Upset Prevention thread, and has to do with the unwritten rules that need to be complied with to become an established gentlemen aviator.  I have recently discovered, to my dismay, that not all of these are written in the several FAA training manuals, nor found in the FARs or AIM.

See here, from carusoam:

"I think beer is for the new guys... (my preference...)

Single Malt seems to be the beverage of choice for the more established gentlemen aviators...

The Caravan tent is a great place to see the camaraderie. Imbibing days before flying..."

Wanting in the worst way to be an established gentlemen aviator, I have been taking all the training I can, only to find out that is not enough.  There are apparently other requirements. One is drinking the correct single malt.

So not to start a ROP v. LOP style argument or anything, but what is the best single malt for aviators?  And if the best just can't be found, what are the reasonably acceptable substitutes?

I have my own opinions on the subject, but would like to hear what other aviators think.

Oh, and just for the sake of the casual listener in, I do not ever, nor do any of my fellow Mooney pilots to my knowledge, consider the use of any single malt or related beverage during the eight hours between bottle and throttle. Ever. Just to get that out of the way.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Recent bottles I’ve had:

JURA was great!

also liked this bottle of The Kurayoshi. 

But I’d confirm they drink, Ive bought guys bottles before and turns out they no longer drink. HA! 
Glad you had fun, those guys there helped me with some mic impedance issues I was having with a helmet mic. 

The 300L is an awesome machine. I fly an early 300L for work. It’s like cheating. But for even more fun, now go fly Tucker’s Pitts Specials in King City! 
-Matt

E18B60FC-8A4E-4680-A8BA-93877DE1FA4B.jpeg

Uffda, as we say in Minnesota.  I have not ever had one of the Japanese single malts.  I hear they are good, but the Japanese entry into the single malt market is a whole issue unto itself.  The price of a good single malt went up 300% in about three years, and I can no longer find my long time favorite, which is - or was - the 25 year Glenfarclas.

PS, I get to say that about the Japanese influence, I was born in Osaka lo these many years ago.

Not ruling out good Japanese single malts though.  I will now have to go try a couple, for the sake of flying of course.

Yes, I agree, the 300 seems like cheating. Fortunately my S.O. was out of town and has a tolerant attitude.  It was ok with her if I formed a relationship with that aircraft without her being present.

Edited by jlunseth

3 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Starting the weekend off a tad bit early Paul? Nice artisan cube by the way.

Thanks. I make the cubes myself and it's super easy.

The weekend has started and we're not going anywhere... You might be able to relate to this weather.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Took this at my local CostCo last year. 

Those are US dollars, not some pesos or whatever, right?  No wonder y'all can afford those fancy glass panels and stuff...

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Thanks. I make the cubes myself and it's super easy.

The weekend has started and we're not going anywhere... You might be able to relate to this weather.

IMG_3992.MOV 29.45 MB · 1 download

Its been IFR for 95% of this new decade here; at least where my birdcage is. I might have to try some of that fancy Laphroaig after the bossman sets me free today. 

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

IMG_3981.thumb.jpeg.0b2de4e56ed9b4278dc2520b64c6cc08.jpeg

⬆️⬆️⬆️

That one.  

Very peaty, if you like that sort of thing.  One ice cube or a few drops of water really brings out some extraordinary flavors.  Surprising for only being 10 years old, and an excellent, complex single malt for the price.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Single Malt Scotches are for Yuppies with too much damned money.  Real men drink Bourbon.

My personal preference is a good craft ale, medium to dark.

When I want something more powerful, I'm as likely to reach for rum as bourbon. Fresh Caribbean rum is hard to beat. For years, Jack Daniel was my old standby, but Gentleman Jack is pretty tasty.

Then my brother gave me this Japanese Whisky, and I am very impressed and fully understand how it won a blue ribbon in 2017.

20200130_191139.thumb.jpg.b97aff6d91c47acaf6dd8281247e9d08.jpg

Hey, look--it's "Pure Malt." Marital status is not provided . . . .  :P

Edited by Hank

I was not a Scotch man until I was in Edinburgh and visited the Scotch museum. After taking the "Barrel Ride" which is a history of Scotch ( its history is mostly about taxes), I entered the tasting room. Now there you have to be careful. I had a ticket for a taste of 6 different ones. The keeper there took pity upon me and helped me on a most excellent tasting tour. that was way more than 6.  I found I liked mostly Highlands and. Islay Scotch, vanilla and pepper finishes. The Lowlands is just too peaty for me. Once you identify your Scotch type you can zero in on brands. That all said, I am particular to Macallan. You really don't have to spend a lot of money to have a good experience in that line, although I have spent some big dollars. Everyday, after a hunt or around the campfire you can't beat their 12 year double cask. I have seen bottles of Macallan ranging from 35 dollars to six figures.

Now a lot of people may agree or disagree but Scotch is like women. Some prefer blondes, other brunettes. Some like a little booty, others want waifs. Viva la difference., If you are lucky enough as I was to have a fine introduction, it will bring life long enjoyment.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MB65E said:

There are some awesome Caribbean sipping rums. 
-Matt

I enjoy a good rum. Ernie Gann's favorite was Bardinet, so there is an aviation connection. From Song of the Sirens:

"... regardless of the weather, gale or calm, regardless of any difficulties or circumstance, the bar was open for for one hour each day. ... The time was known as "Bardinet Hour" after the rum of my own devotion and it was always held on deck."

Suggest you begin a new thread so as not to rile the Scotch aficionados. I'd enjoy hearing everyone's favorites.

Skip

• Like 1

Hey, I started the thread so if I say rum gets to play, that’s the way it is.  And I say rum gets to play. Bourbon too if it wants. Even Irish. Looking for straight up sipping stuff though, your local average screwdriver, mai-tai, etc. etc. adulterated stuff will have to start another thread. I can’t imagine any established gentleman aviator wanting to stick other stuff in a perfectly good distilled drinkable.

Edited by jlunseth

So here was my scotch discovery.  Most young scotches bite.  Take a sip, it goes down, and a second later it bites you in the back of the soft palate.  There are a few that don’t but most do, and the peatier ones especially.  Young scotch is anything under 20 years.  After that they have the good grace not to bite.  I enjoy a wide variety of flavor in scotch, but I do not enjoy getting bitten.  Here is my champion:

0998167E-1B65-429B-B888-240AE0ACA672.thumb.jpeg.50e09b69b291c08bc46c875750f3c9d0.jpeg

The problem is that the price about tripled around 2006-9 when the Japanese jumped into the market, not the Japanese scotches, but buyers.  I used to be able to get this bottle for $95, but now simply can’t find it anymore, or special order it, and if it was available it would be north of $250. The picture above is my last one and as far as I know, the last one in the world.

There are a few good younger scotches that don’t bite, or if they do, not very hard.  The 16 year Lagavulin has a distinct flavor but no bite.  The younger Balvinie’s, Double Cask or Sherry Cask are pretty good, but not as good as an older scotch.  I am not a Macallan fan.  Heavily marketed, overpriced, and most of it bites, even the older one’s.  Granted, I have not tried any of their $5,000 a bottle beverages.

As for rums, there are some really good sipping rums out there now.  The older El Dorados, I am currently trying this one:

D5792EF2-117B-457B-8609-9FE86B7CBC00.thumb.jpeg.b08a90ce8a6b36bf36a3878f5bdb6b39.jpeg

Edited by jlunseth
  • Like 2