Broken Exhaust straps ?

Joe Larussa

Bob hit on the key detail...

The question is a good one for your installer...

Which tire did he use to make that rubber strip from?

Often a mechanic will cut an interesting part with a good year logo on it... or some really cool graphic that says 30 psi on it...

If the rubber part came directly from the muffler company, it failed and should easily be a warranty repair... if the timing window hasn’t been closed. 

Rubber shouldn’t normally separate from the threads of a new tire... that one may have some unusual age on it already...

Let’s see how well the customer service group is working.

Pp thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

After my hanger broke for a second time I put on my genuine engineer hat, the one with the locomotive on it, and came up with a stouter geometry w/o the 90 deg twist that had been in the rubber. Oh, I spent $10 at my NAPA store for a tailpipe hanger complete with bolt holes rather than cutting a strip of tire. 

Your J geometry is different. The idea is to align the strap to minimize the stress to the rubber at the bolt.

IMG_20171011_114616932.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

Looks like the old straps were used on the new exhaust.  I don’t know if power flow calls for different hardware or not bot Bob’s solution looks like it’s working.  I wonder if an IA would notice.

You are correct! My new 5,000 freaking dollar exhaust was installed with 42 year old rubber! I replaced them after work today. Jeeze!