Why a Mooney?

Rookie

I'm interested in a plane but not sure what to entertain!

Unless you use your plane for business, a plane has to be a passion.  If you're not passionate about your plane, it will be a very expensive passing fancy and will join the thousands of planes tied down outside for years without flying.

If you're "not sure what to entertain", you're probably not passionate enough to sustain ownership.

Set a goal, fulfill the goal.

• Like 3

Unless you use your plane for business, a plane has to be a passion.  If you're not passionate about your plane, it will be a very expensive passing fancy and will join the thousands of planes tied down outside for years without flying.

If you're "not sure what to entertain", you're probably not passionate enough to sustain ownership.

Set a goal, fulfill the goal.

Well said.

I can't tell whether Rookie is serious or not. Could be someone just started this thread as a bit of a trolling exercise. Lord knows we love to pontificate on "why Mooney" more than most folks. But on the chance that Rookie is sincere, I'll echo the advice already given. You have to define your mission and why you want a plane. Once you've done that, the choice of brands and models will become more clear.  The answer is different for everyone.

If you ask instead, "why did YOU want a Mooney?" then for me the answer is because only cool people fly them, of course!

• Like 1

Personal general use! To stay within the lower part of the US! 

How much do you want to carry?  How long are the runways?  Are the runways dirt, grass, open fields?  Do you fly in ice? Do you fly over mountains?  How far do you want to fly in a day?

Thank you Rookie, for the opportunity to pontificate about the fastest, normally aspirated, factory built, four seat, aircraft available today...

If that meets your goal, get one that that runs reliably LOP for the additional thrills...

If you need one to meet tighter monetary policy, consider starting with an M20C (my experience)...

If an airplane is right for you, Go Mooney!

Thank you for posting,

-a-

Yes I am serious!! I can afford a plane but I just want to get, as most people do, the best product for my money! 

My company I work for owns a Cirrus and a Citation.  So the own encourages us to fly! I'm in process to getting my learn on!

Personal general use! To stay within the lower part of the US! 

it's like asking someone what kind of car you need to buy.  Depends on where you travel, when you travel, number of people and/or luggage you want to take, etc and how much you can afford to spend.

it's like asking someone what kind of car you need to buy. Depends on where you travel, when you travel, number of people and/or luggage you want to take, etc and how much you can afford to spend.

And don't forget the most important question of all; how much your passengers weigh. ;)

You make for a great front guy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A Mooney is a cross country machine, best for trips further than 100 miles.  They are fast, do not burn much fuel, are generally not very expensive to maintain (for a complex plane), have very few ADs, and are stable with a good safety record.  They can be used as a 4 place plane, but range is limited since fuel will have to be left behind.  They can operate on nice grass strips (I don't), but they are not a bush plane.

• Like 1

Glad you are excited.

What is your mission? Primary training? Trips? Distance requirements? Seat/people requirements? Usually solo? You and a guest? Family? Will you fly in weather? Give us more details on YOUR MISSION and we'll point you to a good plane suggestion, Mooney or not.

-Seth

I am married and a teenage son! I have friends that live in Colorado, Missouri and Dallas. We plane to go out to visit and spend time with them.

So three at 515lbs plus fuel. Yes some not so good weather will be flown through!

You have to define what you want to do with the plane. My friend keeps his Ducati motorcycle in his living room. That's only reason he got it. Never even started it up.

467035_10200610016405030_1383883761_o.jp

I'll snap a picture of my 916 I keep in my sunroom when I get home ;-) 1998, 1800 miles

• Like 3

I am married and a teenage son! I have friends that live in Colorado, Missouri and Dallas. We plane to go out to visit and spend time with them.

So three at 515lbs plus fuel. Yes some not so good weather will be flown through!

Thank you Rookie.  What is your name and what is your home base or what airport would you be based at?  

Also you have to include luggage.

So:

515 lbs people

Fuel . . . TBD let's say 60 gallons at 6 lbs = 360 lbs

3 bags at 33 lbs each:  99 lbs

Random pilot gear/supplies/tools:  30 lbs

1004 lbs useful load.  That is doable with some of the F model Mooneys.  Take out some fuel when it's the three of you since no one will make it 3 hours, and you'll save 15-20 gallons, or another 90-120 pounds.  Many Mooneys of models can take 900 lbs in the air.

When we know where you are based we'll have a better idea of what to suggest - turbo or not, FIKI, what is your budget?  We love hypothetically spending other's money.

-Seth

• Like 1

What a waist of a fine bike. My first bike was a hopped up Yamaha RD350 and I kept it in my living room at my apartment cause I did not have a garage and did not want it stolen. For me and my small family just the 2 of us and my budget M20C fits,  any thing bigger would be just a waist of fuel. Close to 150KTAS is not so bad either.

• Like 1

My C has 970 lb useful load, or 660 when typically filled (25 gal per side to leave heat expansion room). That's me and the wife, and baggage for a week. Add a third adult in the back (sideways for more legroom), call it 150-180 for a teenaged boy, that would be 500-530 lbs, but I don't think I could fit the rated 120 lbs in the baggage area. It would still be under gross.

One thing to consider: beginning with the F, there is extra back seat legroom, AND extra baggage space. I measured the cargo door and bought my wife the largest Samsonite suitcase that would fit through, a lightweight wheeled model at an outlet mall. My duffel fits pretty well front to back beside it, if I don't stuff it too full; there's always the back seat, too, its normal spot when I'm traveling alone.

With three people, you still have good options in the Mooney line. Be aware, though, that there is considerable variation in useful load, fuel capacity and range not only between models but between particular examples of a given model.

People pay a lot more for "Art"...

That bike is definitely ART, but just sad that it is not being enjoyed by owner and others in it's gallery...

A twisty road with tree's on each side making beautiful music to be appreciated by all that hear it.

Half the beauty of that bike is the sound and feel..., but like all fine art it appreciates with time.

• Like 1