What’s the biggest myth about Mooney’s?

201er

Mooney Myths  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What’s the biggest myth about Mooney’s?

• Interior is small and crammed
    • How fast they really go
    • Tail is on backwards
    • Difficult to land
    • Poor useful load

43 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I think another myth is that they're so hard to work on.    While there are tasks that are kinda difficult on Mooneys, that's true of many airplanes.   Many things are far easiers on Mooneys than other airplanes, too.

It turns out… Mooneys were way ahead of their time…

A 60s Chevy… the mechanic can stand next to the engine while he changes the plugs…. With all of the excess space available…

A Chevy today… has covers at the top and the bottom of the engine, similar to the dog house and cowling…. Everything is much tighter…

Chevy supplies all kinds of specialized tools to work on their cars…

Mooneys, every now and then use a cut off wrench or crows foot wrench…

Some myths will die easier than others…

Mooneys are no longer harder to work on… :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WaynePierce said:

My answer wasn't listed... I find it harder to get out of than other planes. :)

When I told an old DPE friend that I'd bought a Mooney she said, "You have to do a little snake dance to get down into one, but they're pretty good airplanes."  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe the "crammed interior" is the biggest myth.

Compared to landing a Cessna or Piper the Mooney is much less forgiving if you don't fly the numbers. If you fly the numbers, it lands very well. I try to cross the threshold at about 72 - 74 kts and then have patience.

Edited by hubcap

The "small and crammed" interior myth is objectively untrue -- but a Mooney definitely has a unique seating position, and it's quite a bit different from a brand C or P cabin.  I can definitely understand a Skylane driver getting into a Mooney for the first time feeling awkward.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WaynePierce said:

My answer wasn't listed... I find it harder to get out of than other planes. :)

It's not so much difficult to get out of as it is impossible to get out of gracefully, especially from the right seat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, EricJ said:

A friend has a gorgeous Swift with a six-cylinder Continental IO-360.   It is slower, by quite a bit, than my J.  There's something about the Swift that is apparently pretty draggy, but I don't know what it is.   Awesome airplane otherwise.

My SWAG is the wing. A Mooney for a GA airplane actually has a very “good” wing

Edited by A64Pilot

It's not so much difficult to get out of as it is impossible to get out of gracefully, especially from the right seat.

There is no way of getting out of a Mooney elegantly! Specially after a long flight! But while you are inside I find it very comfortable.

Also, on landing… if you manage a stabilized approach and you respect the speeds it is very easy to land, even I a strong gusty crosswind.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 hours ago, 201er said:

You should see @carusoam getting out of a Mooney. He'll show you how it's done! Apparently it's a skill that needs to be relearned after a hiatus!

Getting in, getting out… don’t slam the door when closing it, don’t lean on the door when exiting it… just like riding a bike…  :)

Amazing how some things are easy to forget…

We’re celebrating 10 year since those days went by…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

53 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Getting in, getting out… don’t slam the door when closing it, don’t lean on the door when exiting it… just like riding a bike…  :)

Amazing how some things are easy to forget…

We’re celebrating 10 year since those days went by…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah, let's see you gracefully exit the back seats in one with retractable front shoulder harnesses ;)

Oddly,

We used to discuss pushing the front passenger seat forwards to get to the pilot’s seat…

I used to do this dance when loading the kids…. Me, kids, then wife…

Similar to a well coordinated ballet… every step optimized… Solely because we could… :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/7/2022 at 7:28 PM, corn_flake said:

I found the Mooney to be easier to land than Cessna as long as you fly by the number.  Point and shoot.  I even done one in complete darkness with no light.   Cessna tend to wonder all over the place. Establishing a stabilized approach in a Cessna in anything other than calm wind is not easy.  At least for me. 

I too have the same results. Landing my Mooney seems easier than the 172 I had been flying during my training. Was a great relief lol.

4 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Before they renamed it the Bravo, it was the TLS.  It was the top of the line 30 years ago when I bought my first Mooney, and I still want one.

63461A64-45B6-431A-8C91-0DCF80A48EAB.jpeg

@Andy95W will you post a higher resolution version of this?   I'd like to see the numbers.  Thx.

Fred

8 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I wish I could, Fred.  I googled Mooney advertisements and found that and remembered seeing it in Flying magazine or something.  That picture was the highest resolution I could get off the interwebs.

Aha!  You gave me an idea.  Found it.

Now, I want one too.

TLS_ad_1992.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Interior is small and crammed
It is if you're wide of girth.  Folks who fit fine in other aircraft have a tough time in Mooneys.  It's a fact.  Sucks for them, too.
  • How fast they really go
Mooneys really do go fast.
  • Tail is on backwards
Nope, everyone else's tail is on backwards.  Mooney got it right.
  • Difficult to land
Took me an hour to land my Cherokee well.  Took ten to land my Mooney well.  Insurance asked for a one hour checkout n the Cherokee.  Asked for ten in the Mooney.
  • Poor useful load
I can haul nearly a thousand pounds.  I haven't seen another aircraft that can haul what I can at the speed I can for the money.
  • Like 2