Extended baggage compartment

I called Lasar yesterday and inquired about their "extended baggage mod."  They don't advertise it but I have seen it mentioned on planes that are for sale.  I was able to speak with Paul and he mentioned that it hasn't been done in a while and requires a field approval because he never got an STC for it.  He said that in my Missile it requires some avionics to be moved back OR down on the bottom of the stringers.  I would love to have the extra 2 feet of space and 60 lbs of capacity. 

The only bummer is having to fly my plane to CA to get it done.....

Have any of you guys seen this?

post-4095-13468140611768_thumb.jpg

I had Laser modify my E model with the extended baggage area many years ago.  It was useful but hard to seal up to keep cold air out.  I did not have any radio equipment to relocate but had a retractable crankup step that had to be removed.  On balance having the extra space worth the hassle and expense.  It never happened but if I lost the keys I had a way to get in through the battery access panel. 

I considered it after looking at a J that had it, probably 12 or 14 years ago at MAPA. The owner told me CG was a not an issue. It looked to be a nice but expensive conversion, and difficult to get bags all the way back and then out again.

Got the wife some soft side luggage and helped her pack less. Also a difficult conversion ;-)

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

We were talking about a place to store copies of 337s and things like that the other day...

Helpful mod documents that can be shared openly on MS for Mooney people.

Storing stuff in the back really needs to be tied down well. You really don't want anything heavy sliding back a couple of feet.

Best regards,

-a-

M20C:

Yes I have this,slightly different but-

337 with Aero engineer drawings, & approved data,

HC-carbon fiber floor, aft relocated bulkhead etc. CG is critical & weight limited due short body.

drbob

Let's just say I got a field approval for this extended baggage! Would anyone want the info?!

Limits 40 lbs. If you have stuff On the avionics rack it'll make it harder to do!

How far back does it go? Where do the avionics go?

Wow - never heard of that.  That would be very useful.  My XC skis at 205cm are just a little too big...currently heading back unit the hat rack they poke onto the trim wheel.  Not what I want.

W&B aft is not so much an issue for Rocket/Missile which is pretty nose heavy on its envelope otherwise.  In fact I was dreaming of this just the other day:

http://www.mt-propeller.com/en/entw/stcs/cessna_340_2.htm

Question if you got this far:

-How much does it cost, and how many hours/days do they require your airplane in shop?

-60lbs - is that in addition to the 120lbs?

I've seen it myself, on a local, rather special '67 M20F.

It had run in with some guineafowl during take off and the pilot elected to abort the landing. The airplane went off the end of the runway and was damaged. Our local Mooney agent bought it from the insurance and they decided to make a project of it.

They took the engine cradle and nose gear truss from an Ovation, and hung an IO520, with a 3 blade prop up front. The wings were clipped to match the fuselage length vs wing span of an Ovation and they also used some Ovation and J model components to beef up the tail. The fuselage frame was strengthened by welding in extra tubing, similar to that of the Ovation. A 201 windshield was fitted, as well as this extended baggae compartment. Becuase the battery had to be moved right back into the tail for CG purposes, they even went further and made a second, larger baggage door where the original panel was located that gave access to the battery.

The whole project was incredibly well done and the airplane went through a complete flight test programme. I've flown it and it is an absolute monster. It is extremely powerfull, gets off the ground very quickly and climbs like a homesick angel. Once leveled out, it moves along at a very respectable 175kts cruise.

• Like 1

I've seen it myself, on a local, rather special '67 M20F.

It had run in with some guineafowl during take off and the pilot elected to abort the landing. The airplane went off the end of the runway and was damaged. Our local Mooney agent bought it from the insurance and they decided to make a project of it.

They took the engine cradle and nose gear truss from an Ovation, and hung an IO520, with a 3 blade prop up front. The wings were clipped to match the fuselage length vs wing span of an Ovation and they also used some Ovation and J model components to beef up the tail. The fuselage frame was strengthened by welding in extra tubing, similar to that of the Ovation. A 201 windshield was fitted, as well as this extended baggae compartment. Becuase the battery had to be moved right back into the tail for CG purposes, they even went further and made a second, larger baggage door where the original panel was located that gave access to the battery.

The whole project was incredibly well done and the airplane went through a complete flight test programme. I've flown it and it is an absolute monster. It is extremely powerfull, gets off the ground very quickly and climbs like a homesick angel. Once leveled out, it moves along at a very respectable 175kts cruise.

That's quite a project.  Was it done as a conversion to experimental category?

Actually, with the same engine but shorter clipped wings than an ovation, I would have guessed that such a Mooney mod would have been faster than an ovation.

With respect to the M20C,

the aft compartment is 22" X 36"wide anteriorly, tapering to 29.5" W aft. Apprx.dimension of hat rack

this combined with the stock baggage-floor & with rear seat folded to rest on aft spar

gives a space of around 60" by 38" (to tapers to 29.5 aft).

A folding seat was also engineered by (Ray Cole)---the  project lead on the L.E.M. IIRC.

Engineering drawings, calcs, & approved data were provided.  F.Seat =  Hexcel HC/nomex composite.

I'd like to see more of these up-grades 337s etc. discussed here on MS, 

probably lot more out there, just adds to the MS brain trust.

drbob

Where is the battery located? How difficult is to access the tail cone?.

José

On my Missile they (2ea 14v G-35) Are in a box that is way back in the tail come along with a 19 lb weight to offset the io550.

Still have about 1050 lb useful load. No easy way to check water level so going to Concord sealed batteries at annual.

The extended space would be useful.

• Like 1

The battery on the super F is located right at the back, but I'm not sure how it is accessed. Believe it or not, but this airplane is still in the certified category, but with two limitations: it may only be its owner/s and it may not be used to bring in revenue, so basically, it can only be used as a private airplane. I actually had a copy of the certification and flight test document. It was actually done in cooperation with a lady from the US and I was amazed at everything the airplane had to go through.

I only have an older picture of the exterior and it's not a very good one, but will try to get some more. The interior was beautifully refurbished with all new panels, carpets and leather.

post-7000-0-32743300-1415030553_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Lood that is one nice looking airplane. I once went on a ferry flight to Santa Barbara and we picked up a Mooney to deliver to LASAR and it had the rear seats removed and an extended baggage area it also had a cargo style door in place of the normal baggage hatch. I was told the pilot used the plane for rescue pet transfers. The floor was flat and had adjustable tie down anchors. It might have been a bravo but I'm not sure.

On my Missile they (2ea 14v G-35) Are in a box that is way back in the tail come along with a 19 lb weight to offset the io550.

Still have about 1050 lb useful load. No easy way to check water level so going to Concord sealed batteries at annual.

The extended space would be useful.

I installed 2 x Concorde last year when the gills died in my missile: I'm happy with that switch so far: getting to the battery box in the tail cone was a bit of a pain even with the battery board.

That mod would be great for a missile/rocket: would help offset that big motors weight!