List of things to buy when I close on my first plane???

Inspired by this Facebook Mooney Pilots Group post:

List of things to buy when I close on my first plane? I saw prist/plexus mentioned somewhere for the windshield cleaning. What else?

I'm buying a Mooney M20R Ovation. Pre-buy found one thing slated for correction this week, moving forward with escrow and will probably close in a couple of weeks.

This is my first airplane - the phrase I keep using is "I don't even know what questions I should be asking" in the process. I've been fortunate that several people have taken me under their wing to help me along the way. The seller has been absolutely fantastic and spent several hours with me the other day to show/teach me everything he could think of / wished someone had done for him when he bought it.

I've been trying to figure out what essentials I should be buying right away, what are things I'll probably want pretty quickly, and what tips/tricks will save me a lot of pain and aggravation. How would you rank these lists? Anything that you would add or skip?

Basics (Immediate Need):

1. Hangar (found one - it's far but will be a good home until something closer opens up)
  2. Canopy cover (coming with the plane - I've seen notes on tail cover, is this something I should get?)
  3. Gnats Jar (have one)
  4. Tow bar (coming with plane)
  5. Pitot cover (w/ spare)
  6. Chocks
  7. CO detector (my sentry has it built in, should I get another?)
  8. Checklist (have always used Qref, who makes a good one for the M20R?)
  9. Pee/Puke bags

Do it yourself cleaning and maintenance:

1. Spray detailer to clean leading edges (brand?)
  2. Windscreen: Prist/Plexus (or Lemon Pledge)
  3. RainX for Plastic
  4. Chrome polish for spinner
  5. Microfiber Rags (different colors for windscreen and skin - lots of them)
  6. Blue shop towels
  7. Vacuum cleaner with long hose for interior
  8. Fuel Filter Funnel (for self serve - any recommendations)
  9. Oil, Filters, CamGuard, and Funnel (planning on changing oil myself)
  10. Safety Wire
  11. Creeper
  12. Simple Green Aviation formula
  13. Tri-Flow
  14. Compressor & Basic tools

Nice to haves / lessons learned:

1. Rear window shades
  2. Organizer for Baggage
  3. Comfy slippers to fly in
  4. Garmin InReach
  5. Cowl plugs
  6. Extra cam locks for cowling
  7. Cowl plugs
  8. Tie Down Straps (preferences)
  9. Spark plugs & wrench
  10. Battery Minder
  11. Power Supply

Do I need this:

1. Black Max engine dehydrator

General recommended things to do:

1. Join MAPA
  2. Transition training (scheduled)
  3. Mooney Safety Foundation pilot proficiency programs (PPP)

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'd suggest just fly it and you'll sort out what is really useful to have around fairly quickly.   A case of oil is usually handy, with a few in the airplane and the appropriate funnels and wipes, etc.    If you have a hangar already that'll make it a lot easier since you can just keep stuff there.

• Like 3

Don’t forget a 6 in 1 screw driver to carry in the plane.  

I’d suggest a plastic ammo can to keep all of the plane stuff organized in the baggage area. 

I carry around a spare landing light bulb.  If you don’t have an LED landing light I would recommend that. 

Triflow is a primary lubricant but some things are supposed to get LPS2.  So I’d get some of that.  

I primarily use checklists on foreflight now.  They have some generic Mooney templates that you can modify for your purposes.  

Congrats on the new plane! 

You'll want a roll-around toolbox in the hangar. Get a set of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers and pliers. Allen wrenches, too. Everything standard, not metric. You'll need a 1" wrenches for the oil filter--I bought an inexpensive set when the Elks Club had a truckload tool sale, in a green canvas roll, and goes up to 1-1/8".

I recommend Aero Cosmetics Wash n Wax--blue for everything but the windows, red for the belly, and lots of cheap 100% cotton towels. I'd use this over Simple Green.

With Plexus on the windows, you won't need Rain-X. But I use it on my cars.

Blue Shop Towels on a roll from Sam's are best for wiping your hands and spilled oil; don't use them on your plane.

I'll find the picture of my Rubbermaid tool box that lives in the baggage area and it's contents. 

Mechanics gloves. Multitool for travel. Etc.

9 hours ago, Max Clark said:

Inspired by this Facebook Mooney Pilots Group post:

List of things to buy when I close on my first plane? I saw prist/plexus mentioned somewhere for the windshield cleaning. What else?

I'm buying a Mooney M20R Ovation. Pre-buy found one thing slated for correction this week, moving forward with escrow and will probably close in a couple of weeks.

This is my first airplane - the phrase I keep using is "I don't even know what questions I should be asking" in the process. I've been fortunate that several people have taken me under their wing to help me along the way. The seller has been absolutely fantastic and spent several hours with me the other day to show/teach me everything he could think of / wished someone had done for him when he bought it.

I've been trying to figure out what essentials I should be buying right away, what are things I'll probably want pretty quickly, and what tips/tricks will save me a lot of pain and aggravation. How would you rank these lists? Anything that you would add or skip?

Basics (Immediate Need):

1. Hangar (found one - it's far but will be a good home until something closer opens up)
  2. Canopy cover (coming with the plane - I've seen notes on tail cover, is this something I should get?)
  3. Gnats Jar (have one)
  4. Tow bar (coming with plane)
  5. Pitot cover (w/ spare)
  6. Chocks
  7. CO detector (my sentry has it built in, should I get another?)
  8. Checklist (have always used Qref, who makes a good one for the M20R?)
  9. Pee/Puke bags

Do it yourself cleaning and maintenance:

1. Spray detailer to clean leading edges (brand?)
  2. Windscreen: Prist/Plexus (or Lemon Pledge)
  3. RainX for Plastic
  4. Chrome polish for spinner
  5. Microfiber Rags (different colors for windscreen and skin - lots of them)
  6. Blue shop towels
  7. Vacuum cleaner with long hose for interior
  8. Fuel Filter Funnel (for self serve - any recommendations)
  9. Oil, Filters, CamGuard, and Funnel (planning on changing oil myself)
  10. Safety Wire
  11. Creeper
  12. Simple Green Aviation formula
  13. Tri-Flow
  14. Compressor & Basic tools

Nice to haves / lessons learned:

1. Rear window shades
  2. Organizer for Baggage
  3. Comfy slippers to fly in
  4. Garmin InReach
  5. Cowl plugs
  6. Extra cam locks for cowling
  7. Cowl plugs
  8. Tie Down Straps (preferences)
  9. Spark plugs & wrench
  10. Battery Minder
  11. Power Supply

Do I need this:

1. Black Max engine dehydrator

General recommended things to do:

1. Join MAPA
  2. Transition training (scheduled)
  3. Mooney Safety Foundation pilot proficiency programs (PPP)

Thanks!

You have a very thorough list but there’s one glaring omission: headsets 

Notice it’s headsets plural. You probably have one or two already but now you’re going to have 4 seats. If you expect to fly full house often, get some good ones. If you don’t expect to fly with 4 people, you’ll still want to pick up a couple cheap new or used headsets to have on hand when the occasion occurs.

Maybe some life jackets for flight over water. Emergency blanket (the aluminum foil ones that don’t take any space). Dip stick for fuel measurement.

I agree with most items above except a rather large handbag or purse to hide money for unexpected stuff or something you’d like to buy. I’m actually serious I don’t like using my C.C. to much it gets high enough just for gas. Don’t tell anyone but I keep a few thousand hidden in my desk. The older generation I think are more apt to use cash when practical. I recently tried to pay for fuel with cash but was told they didn’t know what to do they don’t take cash… holy cow, things keep changing I wish the wx would I’ve been stuck down south for a week so far. Enjoy your new plane your friends will be envious 

D

All good calls, you got the most important item which is a hangar, everything else will show up as needed. I made a small custom on board tool kit to change the oil and the filter, use light crow foot wrenches. I also made a custom survival kit including a flare gun. The art of the deal is to keep things light.

@Max Clark My answers to the question marks in your list:

1. I have a tail cover, used it once in 8 years when I parked for two weeks outside at a coastal airport. No birds, no need.

2. The Sentry CO detector is sufficient. A second portable one is an optional backup.

3. I prefer Checkmate checklists. Qref is also good, its a matter of personal preference.

4. I use an engine dehydrator. I don't have a Black Max but I recommend using something if you won't be flying at least once a week.

One add - safety wire pliers. Having them just to safety the oil filter will be worth the cost.

Cheers,
Junkman

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

If you want Plexus, order it now.  It has been on back order for almost a year for me.  You will be on to your next airplane before you get it so order it now.:D

When I got tired of the indefinite backorder of Plexus and started to get low I tried out the A-Plex and have been very happy with it.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cs/plexiglascleaners/cx-56955.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would highly suggest a spare set of keys.  I flew somewhere with my wife one time and dropped my only key I had with me at the grocery store.  Fortunately after backtracking all the places we visited I found it.  But that could have really sucked.  You may consider wiring the keys somewhere they can’t be seen but are accessible through an engine access door.  Or you could put them in an access panel somewhere in the airframe, This would require a screw driver to get them but getting your hands on a screw driver generally isn’t too difficult. 

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

When I got tired of the indefinite backorder of Plexus and started to get low I tried out the A-Plex and have been very happy with it.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cs/plexiglascleaners/cx-56955.php

well ... just go to a\your favorite motorcycle shop or to Tap Plastic and .... Plexus will be available at non-aviation price ! 

5 hours ago, Utah20Gflyer said:

I would highly suggest a spare set of keys.  I flew somewhere with my wife one time and dropped my only key I had with me at the grocery store.  Fortunately after backtracking all the places we visited I found it.  But that could have really sucked.  You may consider wiring the keys somewhere they can’t be seen but are accessible through an engine access door.  Or you could put them in an access panel somewhere in the airframe, This would require a screw driver to get them but getting your hands on a screw driver generally isn’t too difficult. 

I put one of these in an access panel of just about every airplane I've owned. I don't want to imagine the hassle of not having my keys when I want to come home. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Line-Pouch-Hider-91301/dp/B000KFSZ0W/ref=sr_1_2?crid=LH00H087GI3B&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ka1zQKjDK9vJMeCQE_dC1em_p7w7mUSYYU_GuxcawcbCWJim1wSfxa21mOou9aXKfzrOBDFgamiumWC8N-vSpLwuv7DvHYdC889VmYbn6aqt5qbBKzWsob49rDPkr8q1PMUOKn3-dnVU0v4pagR-5OGkEyB7PMiFs0hjy7caCqgrMQfT0fCCvjrPX1NGBuhHsLER5F2PwVv2gDyHAv8EwiKP-I8I5Q9BLfZR9p4iHkUWOuO32ct4RIYZUu1TY7mjAeeol98z_2zw0Rzi6VAcd5WV3WyBXro3LUP5Vx-3abI.A_IoMJiJY_LFWoMlHwIwjuOouJt4e6ctYItRir8hZzY&dib_tag=se&keywords=hideaway+key+velcro&qid=1715725096&sprefix=hideaway+key+velcro%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-2

Is the seller trading up, or getting out of aviation?  If the latter, see if he'll hand-over/sell all his stuff!  The PO of my plane was getting out of aviation and included 4 LightSpeed headsets, tools, BatteryMinder, portable oxygen system, ...., etc.  I was all set:D  If not, maybe make a list of his stuff and duplicate.

11 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

A powered tug is really helpful with the heavy long body Mooneys.

If you install a BatteryMinder with the STC connectors, let me know, I can 3D print a mount for it.

Plus one on the powered tug.  I remember how excited I was the first time I brought my C to its new home.  Then I realized the sloping entrance to the hanger.  I was able to get it pushed in solo, but tanks were only half full.  

Oil, paper towels, trash can then add what you need as it comes up.