Glue down the rug

Hello all

the rug on the floor of the copilot side is loose and bunching up under the rudder pedals. Looks like it used to be stuck down with some kind of tape.

what sort of adhesive, or tape does one use to tack down the rug?

thanks.

There are many automotive methods of doing this…. 3M Velcro might be what you want….

My rugs are held in place with screws…

There isn’t anything under the rug to look at.

Using screws has the challenge of the screw receiver on the other side of the floorboard is only accessible with the belly off…

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

At one point mine was glued down with contact cement, it was a pain to clean off the old glue. Personally I would NOT glue it down, even though there are no inspection panels under it, I still like the idea of it being able to be easily removed and reinstalled. I used heavy duty snaps which allows for easy removal if needed, Velcro would have served the same purpose. If you go Velcro, use 3M industrial grade.

• Like 2

My C model has velcro.  And it is damn good velcro too.  Not sure what type it is but it is strong and stays in place and in 15 plus years of ownership it has never had to be changed out.  I like being able to pull up the carpets, clean them and then put them back in easily.

Some people glue it. Some Velcro it. Some screw it. Some install snaps. The factory glued it down and that's what I did because it was fast, simple, and I don't expect to have to remove it for many years. I never remove the carpet in my cars.  It wasn't hard to remove the old factory-glued carpet -- just pull it up and remove any stubborn spots using a putty knife. You can remove the old glue if you want, but I didn't. Since I was going to apply new glue over it, I figured why bother? I used 3M Headliner and Fabric adhesive in a spray can.

Skip

• Thanks 1

I cleaned the floor with some solvent, ( old glue just stayed there and laughed at me, then did the adhesive backed Velcro thing. I'll let you know how it works out. If it falls I'll use a butt load of spray adhesive. Thanks for the advice. M