MAPA Homecoming roll call

jetdriven

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking, Mesa AZ, Las Cruces NM and then Kerrville. I may stop in Barstow if I feel I need to get out and stretch or a strong headwind. I've never gone 4 hours in a piston plane and that would be from home to Mesa.

On the way home, I was thinking stopping at Bullhead/Laughlin AZ instead of the Phoenix area.

Hello All

Mitch and I have been asked to present PGA Squared: Promote G.A.; Protect Airports at MAPA.  Our multimedia presentation will be Saturday morning at 10:30.  Please join us and get ready for some fun and great ideas.  I am even told Mooney M&Ms might even be available for those who must be bribed!  HA

Jolie,

Keep up the good work.  Your market penetration is outstanding.

You are in my AOPA magazine this month.  

I just came across last years empty tin from mooney M&Ms de la Sloshkosh.

Yesterday, my boy was wearing an Ambassador's T-shirt.

Best regards,

-a-

David from Kerrville here. Anyone with either MAPA credentials, or MooneySpace garb will recieve a BIG discount at my families restaurant the Cowboy Steak House. I will have all the personell ready with the special pricing so there will be no confusion.

If anyone is coming in early on Thursday please come by as I know the dinner at the Y.O. no one will miss. We are dinner only and closed Sunday.

cowboysteakhouse.com

830-896-5688   Call ahead for larger parties and we will set up the tables ahead of time.

Sincerely

David Ferris

830-377-2752 for any special needs.

Jolie & Mitch

I made a note of your numbers. I plan on arriving about 11:30 to noon. Norma and my numbers are 214 207-6774 and 214 207-6744. We will get in contact one way or the other. These numbers are for anyone else interesed also.

OK, here is the deal on the car.  If you go to www.orbitz.com and book Enterprise rent a car in Kerrville, it is right across the street from the Y-O Ranch.   The price is 71$ total for Friday AM -Monday AM.  You leave the car at the Y-O if leaving Sunday, as Enrterprise is closed.   MAPA has a deal with a van service to pick you up at the airport and drop you off.  So, instead of paying 175$ (55$ a day) for a car delivered to the airport, you can do it for 71$ total. 

Sad to say, I can't join all you folks because, well, I guess my Mooney just doesn't want to go home!Cry On Tuesday, I planned to change the oil before going and when I went out to fly the plane and get the oil warm, I got stopped on the pre-flight. When I rocked the airlerons back and forth a new sound emerged. It was the clinking sound of loose metal. I spent the rest of the evening (would have been way faster with two people) tracking this down to the vertical rod that connects the yokes to the bellcrank in the wing. Basically, the bearings on either end are pretty worn and loose now. I guess the last little bit of grease squeezed out and now it rattles. I satisfied myself that it wasn't going to fall apart and put all the inspection panels back on. I will change them next annual, or when ever I need to get in there again. By this point, I needed to go home.

Wednesday I got delayed at work and didn't get to the hangar until just before sunset. I pulled the plane out and went to start it to warm the oil. Whah-Whah-whah- wha... Try again and Whah- *click* *clack*. Great! Dead battery! Put the plane back, went home and got a battery charger, went back and hooked it up. Have to try again on Thursday.

This morning, I got up early, pulled her out and again, *clack*... *clack*... All the connections look good, so I figure since the Sky-Tec starter was put in in 2002 and the battery was put in in 2006, that it's most likely a crappy battery. Anyhow, the battery was the only thing I could potentially fix today and still get to Kerville. I bought a brand new Concorde sealed battery, put her in and... Yell Just for giggles, I undid and cleaned with the copper wool all the connections from the battery to the starter. I even checked the engine ground strap. No good. Tomorrow I have a local A&P coming to further test. I figure it has to be either the starter motor, solenoid or relay. We'll see.

So now I'm in for a $310 battery, which is OK, I consider it preventitive maintenance, but also one night at the KO Ranch because by the time I called, it was to late for a refund on Friday night. Then there's the MAPA registration for the event. I think there is some percentage I can get back. Then there's tomorrow... Expensive weekend considering I went nowhere!!

Oh well, I wish you all great flights and a fantastic time in Kerrville! Please post pictures.

Hello All

We are having such a fab time here at MAPA.  For us, after arrival we went on a two hour tour of the factory. It was so much fun to see where my airplane was "born" in 1965.  There are folks working, manufacturing parts, and making skins for wings and elevators.  Although there isn't anything directly in the hopper, word is that there are folks touring quite a bit. Perhaps there will be a reason to celebrate in Kerrville again next year!

The workshops have been well attended and quite informative.  The ice cream social last night was a smashing success. I think everyone was out there enjoying a scoop in our Mooney mugs. Bill Wheat shared his expertise with us for over an hour this morning.  That was so awesome. Such a piece of history.  The E model is the best airplane he believes for speed and efficiency, so of course, I even like him more for that.

This morning was the EFB discussion, very lively and lots of great choices out there. Mitch and I had a fun time with our PGA Squared presentation, and there looks to be about a half dozen new Ambassador events now on the books.  Next month:  Port Escondido Mexico with Jorge as the point person. Details to follow on the Ambassador website.

We are now in afternoon sessions learning about taxes and implications for aircraft, and then on to Garmin.  The judding for the beauty contest was earlier today. I have my fingers....crossed.

This evening is the farewell banquet, awards and door prizes.  Trey and Lela have done a wonderful job making us all feel very welcome and special. I adore meeting people in person, that I have met on MooneySpace, MAPA list, or Facebook.

Our new project for 2011-12 is Mooney Ambassadors Care.  We encourage Mooney owners to have a Toys for Tots event in 2012.  We already give of our aircraft, fuel and time.  But T4T is a lovely way to show we, as a family, care about other families who are struggling at the holidays.  In the coming weeks I will have a "how to" video on YouTube to talk about Ambassadors Care.

A little cloudy today but lovely.  Sad to have to say goodbye...

We are having a great time here - this is our first mapa convention and we didn't know what to expect and everything has been friendly and welcoming with lots of advice shared and good times.  Don Maxwell's presentation on strange things he has seen in money's was amazing and hilarious - I hope no one here is one of his example pilots - but there was some pretty scary stuff people flew into him.  This morning's Bill Wheat presentation was also a wonderful slice of history... Thoug he couldn't give me a good answer on how to get 201 mph in my next air race.

Tthe official event didn't include a tour of the factory which ws disappointing to us. Trey (mapa president) said in his opening words that they purposely decided not to include a tour because all the shutdown darkened factory would depress us.  Of course that decision depressed me a little :(.   Jolie, I am going to have to ask you about where you saw elevators being made - we have been asking and they have mentioned new skins but we were under the impression they hadn't gotten the tooling up and running to make the corrugated shape of the elevators yet.  Everyone seems to have their own opinion about the future of the factory but I don't anyone has any real idea of what the future holds, and that uncertainty worries me, but I am glad that they are starting to make more parts.

Overall my impression has been positive but many of the folks here have mentioned the turnout isn't the same as yesteryear and there haven't been as many exhibitors as the past.  Things that would've made the event better for me might have included a wider variety in presentations (maybe some with FAA wings credit) and less time at the hotel and more time at the airport with our planes (with this perfect hill country weather we could have totally had these seminars in a great big hanger like Eaa uses or something and maybe saved mapa some money too). Mitch and Jolie got me thinking during their presentation too we could've also had a mooney event for the local community while everyone is here, maybe giving some kids plane rides.  Too late for this year, but still..

Its been a great event and this definitely a great pilot community - though I really hope in the future we will see growing involvement rather than what seems to be a decline.  Hope all you folks who didn't make it put it on your calendars for next year.  To me the main point is meeting all the other mooney folks and swapping stories, the location and seminars is just a bonus.

It's good hear about the seminars, I do hope someone recorded them in such a manner that they could be duplicated and passed on to us regular folk who could'nt be their. To be able to learn from the likes of Don Maxwell and Bill Wheat would be good as well of course PGA Squared. If someone did record the sessions let me know.

Enjoying all the pictures.

Thanks for the reports! I really, really wish I could have gone. Would have loved to see the factory and heard from Bill and Don. My guess is next year will be somewhere else, and I would have really liked to go back to the factory.

My problem is the starter relay. Mooney calls it the starter solenoid, which I think is incorrect, but hey...? The good news is it's the cheapest part to replace. The bad news is, we ended up pulling the whole cowling off in the process and while we're in there... Subject of another thread.