Airframe Log book commentary

apenney

20 hours ago, EricJ said:

Even worse!   It deviates from the FAR language that is supposed to be the conclusion of the annual inspection.

19 hours ago, apenney said:

What do you mean?

The language to be used in a logbook on completion of a 100 hour or annual inspection is provided in FAR 43.11 a)4 for a successful inspection and 43.11 a)5 when discrepancies are found, or a "similarly worded statement".   This is why many IAs have used stamps for 100 hour or annual inspections that use the FAR wording exactly.   The wording in the pic of the logbook you provided doesn't match either case.

7 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

My understanding is that the log entries are only required to be kept for 12 months (not a good idea, admittedly), but any record of AD compliance must be kept indefinitely.  I'm unsure whether that means an AD log signed by an IA would be sufficient, or whether the original signed log entry that described the work done complying with that AD needs to be kept.  I'm assuming the latter?

Pretty much.   The real reason lost logs are a problem is because AD status and method of compliance must be known, and the next compliance action time and date for recurring ADs must be known.  Otherwise you're good until you go to transfer records on the sale of the aircraft, at which time total times of airframe, engine, propeller, etc., time since overhauls, life-limited parts times, inspection status, 337s, etc., must be transferred with the sale.   I don't know whether you can get around that by donating it to somebody or not, because the FAR actually says "at the time the aircraft is sold."   The AD list that is generated during some annuals should suffice as an adequate record as long as it's accurate and includes the method of compliance.  You don't need the logs for that if the information is held adequately elsewhere.

This is all from FAR 91.117, plus the other myriad things that may affect the details.   You're not required to keep the entire log history of the airplane, and even portions of the 1-year log pipeline can be deleted if they're repeated or superseded by other work, e.g., at the next oil change you can delete the entry for the previous oil change, even if it's within the past year.  Anything older than a year you can delete, but you do need an AD compliance record and when you go to sell it you need the other stuff listed in 91.117(a)2 (total times, inspection status,  etc.).

The "missing logs" issue is mostly from GA buyers preferring to know damage history on airplanes, and it's a big enough part of GA airplane-buying culture and wisdom that an airplane with missing logs is generally seen as having less value than one having complete logs.   It's certainly not a regulatory requirement, but it is handy for tracking more details of AD compliance, etc., in some cases.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, EricJ said:

The "missing logs" issue is mostly from GA buyers preferring to know damage history on airplanes, and it's a big enough part of GA airplane-buying culture and wisdom that an airplane with missing logs is generally seen as having less value than one having complete logs.   It's certainly not a regulatory requirement, but it is handy for tracking more details of AD compliance, etc., in some cases.

I think I've mentioned it before, but the missing logs issue can also affect getting loans for purchase.  I've run into at least one bank that refused to underwrite a loan for aircraft with missing logs.