G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

On 11/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, flyboy0681 said:

Add to the mix that the KFC/KAP design goes back to 1982.

Here is what the inside of the computer looks like for those interested.

IMG_2465.JPG

To me it's always been amazing how capable that autopilot was for the time. Bendix King was on top of the world then and that autopilot was a game-changer for GA. The fact that it's still a very capable autopilot 40 years later says a lot about the excellent design. 

I think the key to keeping these working is to let only the very best, most knowledgable even go near it. Shops that barely have a clue about this autopilot can do much more harm than good. Two people we have on Mooneyspace are the best of the best when it comes to the KAP/KFC: @Jake@BevanAviation @Bob Weber

• Like 3

On 11/24/2021 at 3:32 PM, LANCECASPER said:

To me it's always been amazing how capable that autopilot was for the time. Bendix King was on top of the world then and that autopilot was a game-changer for GA. The fact that it's still a very capable autopilot 40 years later says a lot about the excellent design. 

I think the key to keeping these working is to let only the very best, most knowledgable even go near it. Shops that barely have a clue about this autopilot can do much more harm than good. Two people we have on Mooneyspace are the best of the best when it comes to the KAP/KFC: @Jake@BevanAviation @Bob Weber

for europe I would add these two guys, but they are not on Mooneyspace.  Avionik Straubing (Martin) and North Weald Heritage Aviation (Chris).  Old school, amazing chaps.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Avionik Straubing (Martin) and North Weald Heritage Aviation (Chris).  Old school, amazing chaps.

Avionik Straubing is the manufacturer of the Aspen PFD altitude capture system that I had installed to work with my previous Stec 55x and EFD 1000. Altitude captures were always smooth and the system never let me down.  It is not that expensive and still available to use with King and Stec autopilots according to the Aspen website.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 12:28 PM, Mooney in Oz said:

Avionik Straubing is the manufacturer of the Aspen PFD altitude capture system that I had installed to work with my previous Stec 55x and EFD 1000. Altitude captures were always smooth and the system never let me down.  It is not that expensive and still available to use with King and Stec autopilots according to the Aspen website.

Thats something i so want so thank you for the info. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@Alan Fox @Deb @carusoam @Hank @LANCECASPER @mooniac58 @Marauder @Skates97 @gsxrpilot  @bradp and lots of others.   May I all ask you please to send me an E:mail on Andrew@andrewhyett.com, include your telephone details as well please.

3 weeks ago I was happily flying baby, when I got a call from my Doctor telling me I had anemea, following a routine blood test.  Referred to the relevant clinics and a quick Biopsy revealed the worst.  We went to the consultants on the 24th October  thinking "oh a bit of chemo and it will all be well", but were told "I might make summer, your TP53 genetics are broken as well, we have no cure."  I basically have MDS and AML (the doctors amongst you will understand)

Needless to say Andrew and I are heartbroken as we were planning our retirement in France etc.

If you can all drop me a mail, Ill add you to a mailing list so we can keep you updated on stuff.

You have all been great friends to me over the years and Ill miss you greatly, but as the Doctor says "its just S H I T ".    Ill never forget the support you gave to me in the refurb of Baby nor the same for when we got married.  

Lots of love 

Andrew

PS Sorry to put this on here like this, but i cant seem to be able to do private message anymore.  :) 

Edited by Hyett6420
  • Sad 10

30 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

@Alan Fox @Deb @carusoam @Hank @LANCECASPER @mooniac58 @Marauder @Skates97 @gsxrpilot  @bradp and lots of others.   May I all ask you please to send me an E:mail on Andrew@andrewhyett.com, include your telephone details as well please.

3 weeks ago I was happily flying baby, when I got a call from my Doctor telling me I had anemea, following a routine blood test.  Referred to the relevant clinics and a quick Biopsy revealed the worst.  We went to the consultants on the 24th October  thinking "oh a bit of chemo and it will all be well", but were told "I might make summer, your TP53 genetics are broken as well, we have no cure."  I basically have MDS and AML (the doctors amongst you will understand)

Needless to say Andrew and I are heartbroken as we were planning our retirement in France etc.

If you can all drop me a mail, Ill add you to a mailing list so we can keep you updated on stuff.

You have all been great friends to me over the years and Ill miss you greatly, but as the Doctor says "its just S H I T ".    Ill never forget the support you gave to me in the refurb of Baby nor the same for when we got married.  

Lots of love 

Andrew

PS Sorry to put this on here like this, but i cant seem to be able to do private message anymore.  :) 

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancermoonshots/cancer-types/Leukemia_MDS_AML.html

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Lots of love 

Andrew

I'm crushed.   :(    Please stay in touch here as much as you can.    Always enjoyed hearing from you here.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hank said:

Listen to him, Andrew, he's a doctor. Also, MD Anderson is one of the best places to go for cancer treatment. My cousin went there for years with sarcoma in his shoulder.

Agree - while medical facilities in Memphis & nearby Nashville are very good, the vast majority of the Angle Flights I did from western TN were heading for treatment at MD Anderson.

• Like 1