Headset Hanger

bnicolette

Does anybody have a set of headset hangers either mfg'd or homemade installed in their Mooney? I hang my Halo's on the hand mic on the pilot side but the other headsets really get in the way during passenger loading and unloading. Just think it would be nice to have a set of hangers that keep them up and out of the way. Ideas's?

Well there's always the factory original headset hangers installed:

Panel.jpg

But others have come up with alternate creative options:

ELMooney%20Panel%20Finished%20011.jpg

0_MooneyM20J_Panel.jpg

8346710863_8b700d6e00_n.jpg

Some food for thought. And if all else fails, just have em fly on the wing. Saves time on getting in and out.

girls_wing_new.jpg

• Like 2

Great idea- using the headrest. I will start doing that for the pilot's side. I currently leave the headset on the glare shield, but I worry about scratching the inside of the windshield. The co-pilot side is the problem because, as we all know, it is too easy to get our feet caught in the wires sliding into the pilots seat. The ideal solution, I think, would be a wi -fi or Bluetooth co-pilot side headset I'm not ready to trust wi-fi or Bluetooth for the pilot. About a year ago I saw an ad for a wireless ANR headset, but I didn't see them at Oshkosh this year. As I recall it had some sort of clunky box that hung down from the headphone jacks, and looked as though it still might be in the way in our Mooneys.

• Like 1

I made headset hangers consisting of 1x4 7071 aluminum strips with a 1/4 hole drilled at one end.Than cover bare aluminum with self stick fuzzy velcrow...bend a slight curve upwards in strip and loosen and remove screw holding visers...the strip is mounted under viser pivot and is free to rotate...headsets are know hanging from visor above glareshield and are safe and out of way....patent applied for,,,,this works awesome if I say so myself..k

• Like 1

I made headset hangers consisting of 1x4 7071 aluminum strips with a 1/4 hole drilled at one end.Than cover bare aluminum with self stick fuzzy velcrow...bend a slight curve upwards in strip and loosen and remove screw holding visers...the strip is mounted under viser pivot and is free to rotate...headsets are know hanging from visor above glareshield and are safe and out of way....patent applied for,,,,this works awesome if I say so myself..k
That's awesome and was precisely the solution I was looking for. Can you post a picture?

I made some myself and the trick was keeping the metal from bending due to the weight of the headsets.  I screwed the hanger into the ceiling using an existing screw that holds the headliner in place.  I'll take a picture later today at my hangar and post it later.  I'm very happy how it came out.  

• Like 1

Is that a safety hazard for hitting your head if there is ever a crash or even severe turbulence?

That is a good thought, one I had not contemplated looking at these pictures. Looks like it might be forward enough to not be an issue. I have hit my head on the ceiling in severe turbulence hard enough to knock my headset loose - the right ear cup ended up on my nose with the whole thing covering my face..... its out there.

• Like 2

That is a good thought, one I had not contemplated looking at these pictures. Looks like it might be forward enough to not be an issue. I have hit my head on the ceiling in severe turbulence hard enough to knock my headset loose - the right ear cup ended up on my nose with the whole thing covering my face..... its out there.

I was there a time or 2 in 49M myself. I took comfort that if I could keep her reasonably level and in a reasonable speed range she could stand an awful lot of banging around.

Is that a safety hazard for hitting your head if there is ever a crash or even severe turbulence?

Funny, you're not the first person who brought that up to me which was why I opted to put the heat shrink over the metal to cover the edges.  In the time I've had it installed, I've hit some pretty good turbulence and haven't even come close to hitting my head on the headset hanger.  It's too far forward in the cockpit to even come close to hitting my head and ever since I installed my shoulder harnesses earlier this year I think it's next to impossible for my big melon to hit it.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry so late to reply..Ive been flying for a week on vacation...I will take a pic and post...my solution puts the hanger facing toward the windshield and hangs the headset over the glare shield...looks better than notars solution and does not pose an impact risk in turbulence (I hit hard enough to break a pair of lightspeed zulus)and requires no drilling and gets the cord away from pilot/copilot so they are not yanked out exiting aircraft..kpc

• 4 years later...

I came up with another idea for a headset hanger after searching for ideas led me to this thread. I bought a 6" flag pole rope cleat and attached it to the top of the tube in the center of the windscreen. Amazingly simple, and works great!

Sorry about the picture orientation, I"m not smart enough to know how to rotate them on here.

Cheers,
Rick

IMG_0103.jpg.d95840ee24f03f32258a5d4d7d8963d0.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/29/2017 at 9:39 PM, HRM said:

Headsets have large magnets in them, best to keep them away from compasses. Just sayin'. 

Good point. I checked for that, they hang far enough away that there is no deflection on the compass.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: I stand corrected - there is no deflection when BOTH headsets are hanging up, but there is 20 degrees of deflection when only ONE is hanging up. So yeah, that could be a problem if I left one hanging there for an extended time.

I changed how I have the cleat mounted, now have it attached to the top of a RAM ball mount for my iPhone cradle. here are the new pics.

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2013 at 10:56 AM, Bennett said:

Great idea- using the headrest. I will start doing that for the pilot's side. I currently leave the headset on the glare shield, but I worry about scratching the inside of the windshield. The co-pilot side is the problem because, as we all know, it is too easy to get our feet caught in the wires sliding into the pilots seat.

Why not have have the front passenger use the right rear plugs?  Unless they help you with the radio, they don't need the PTT button, and they could just toss the headset in the backseat when exiting.  Assuming there is no rear passengers, of course.

• Like 1

On my side I place them on the floor in front of me somewhat under the front seat after I have pushed the seat all the way back.  This is  out of the way so I do not step on them.  Passenger side I unplug them a place them on the rear seat before the passenger begins to exit.  So far this has worked well for me.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 7:39 PM, HRM said:

Headsets have large magnets in them, best to keep them away from compasses. Just sayin'. 

Between my iPad, two GPS navigators, HSI and Garmin G5 with a 4 hour battery back up, I highly doubt I would ever have use for my compass.  It’s only there because the MEL says it has to be.

• Like 1