Mooney for a tall guy in NJ (Tri-State?) area

Ive

Hello Mooney People!

I am brand new here so I apologize in advance if I put this topic in the wrong place. 

The thing is. I am trying to find a perfect XC aircraft for myself and Mooney is really what I like. However, I am pretty tall - 6'6'' and I've never had a chance to actually sit in the cockpit. So the net - net is - I am looking for someone kind enough with the Mooney in NJ or Tri-State asking for a favor of trying to fit-in the cockpit. Is there a chance someone could help me out with that? Any advice is appreciated!

7 minutes ago, redbaron1982 said:

Al Mooney designed Mooney for him and he was 6 5. I think you're going to be fine with 6 6.

I guess the only problem might be if someone wants to sit behind you, most likely they won't have much leg room available.

Thank you for your reply. However, I do think the proportions matter. For example, I won't fit in Cirrus, so it's worth trying before thinking further. 

Would appreciate any advice on where is it possible to sit in the cockpit.

Mooney's are actually designed for tall guys (wide guys, not so much). But you should really get in one to see for yourself. A couple of things to note: Later models had vertically adjustable seats and you may find that they allow more headroom when adjusted down. Also, many have been equipped with rudder pedal extensions ( 1.5" and 3" are available) for short guys, so find out what is in the one you are trying on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Mooney's are actually designed for tall guys (wide guys, not so much). But you should really get in one to see for yourself. A couple of things to note: Later models had vertically adjustable seats and you may find that they allow more headroom when adjusted down. Also, many have been equipped with rudder pedal extensions ( 1.5" and 3" are available) for short guys, so find out what is in the one you are trying on.

Great point in regards of the adjustable seats. However, I am struggling to find ANY Mooney just to sit-in =) I thought there might be a dealership or smth in the area, but there is none. So I came here to look for someone kind who could help me perhaps. 

1 hour ago, Ive said:

Hello Mooney People!

I am brand new here so I apologize in advance if I put this topic in the wrong place. 

The thing is. I am trying to find a perfect XC aircraft for myself and Mooney is really what I like. However, I am pretty tall - 6'6'' and I've never had a chance to actually sit in the cockpit. So the net - net is - I am looking for someone kind enough with the Mooney in NJ or Tri-State asking for a favor of trying to fit-in the cockpit. Is there a chance someone could help me out with that? Any advice is appreciated!

I'm rather far from the Shore, but am 6' in shoes, and have enough headroom for a nice hat and a friend. Plenty of room to bounce in turbulence. 

20130922_133457.jpg.52f60ed1c80d3a0af938b2be20d96995.jpg

Seems like @Yetti is 6'9", and fits nicely into his Mooney. 

One word of caution:  we all fit well when seated in the front seats. Getting inside may be problematic (there are videos showing the creative approaches of some owners here), but there is no graceful way to get out . . . .

@Alan Fox @carusoam @201er are all up your way, and others whose MS handles escape me at this time. They may know where you can try one on for size.

As long as you are just tall, you will be fine.   I have set in several and found that sometimes when the seats are rebuilt some get more foam put in the seat so they sit a bit taller.   There is a mod to drill another couple holes in the rail to move the seat back.   I found that kneeling on the passenger seat spin around to get in.    Then I have started exiting to the front of the wing between the door and the leading edge is a bit more graceful getting out. I carry about 3 pillows for passengers

2 hours ago, Ive said:

However, I am pretty tall - 6'6''

Long legs, long torso, mix of both?  If long legged or a mix of both you're golden in a Mooney.  If your height is all above the waist, then you really need to sit in a Mooney to see.  

When you do get a chance to sit in a Mooney, find out if it has the Peddle Extensions or not.  I'm 5'10" and added them to my plane and a lot of us *shorter* people do.  Since the original design of of the Mooney was for long legs, I'd have to move the seat way up against the yoke for my legs to be comfortable.  So if the plane as the extensions, they can be removed to give you that extra leg room.  (Not a lot, but still noticeable.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aviationist said:

The Mooney is not for big people. I’ve been down this road and found it to not be safe or comfortable to me even if Al Mooney is 8ft tall. 

Interesting point. Could you please open it a big more, as many ppl think it is designed for the tall

Just now, Ive said:

Interesting point. Could you please open it a big more, as many ppl think it is designed for the tall

If you’re tall you are going to struggle to get in and out. Maybe that’s ok 99% of the time, but in an emergency it is not. 

if you are tall shoulder width may be an issue

at least for the older mooneys, the fuel selector is in the floor between your legs. For the tall with the seat back especially, it is NOT easy to get to every half hour or however often you change tanks. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I'm rather far from the Shore, but am 6' in shoes, and have enough headroom for a nice hat and a friend. Plenty of room to bounce in turbulence. 

20130922_133457.jpg.52f60ed1c80d3a0af938b2be20d96995.jpg

Seems like @Yetti is 6'9", and fits nicely into his Mooney. 

One word of caution:  we all fit well when seated in the front seats. Getting inside may be problematic (there are videos showing the creative approaches of some owners here), but there is no graceful way to get out . . . .

@Alan Fox @carusoam @201er are all up your way, and others whose MS handles escape me at this time. They may know where you can try one on for size.

Nice hat by the way! Ty for tagging ppl down the coast, hopefully someone might be kind enough to let my try sitting in :) 

39 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

Long legs, long torso, mix of both?  If long legged or a mix of both you're golden in a Mooney.  If your height is all above the waist, then you really need to sit in a Mooney to see.  

When you do get a chance to sit in a Mooney, find out if it has the Peddle Extensions or not.  I'm 5'10" and added them to my plane and a lot of us *shorter* people do.  Since the original design of of the Mooney was for long legs, I'd have to move the seat way up against the yoke for my legs to be comfortable.  So if the plane as the extensions, they can be removed to give you that extra leg room.  (Not a lot, but still noticeable.)

Wow that is a tough question. Guess a bit of both. As an example, the reason why I didn’t manage to fit in cirrus is the panel, I basically wasn’t able to place my knees under it as it was hanging low. However, in Diamond d40 I failed to fit due to the torso height :) 

3 minutes ago, Aviationist said:

If you’re tall you are going to struggle to get in and out. Maybe that’s ok 99% of the time, but in an emergency it is not. 

at least for the older mooneys, the fuel selector is in the floor between your legs. For the tall with the seat back especially, it is NOT easy to get to every half hour or however often you change tanks. 

Well thinking about an emergency, I guess you are 100% right. Or maybe there is a creative way around. It’s a pity they don’t make them with 2 doors.

6 hours ago, Ive said:

Well thinking about an emergency, I guess you are 100% right. Or maybe there is a creative way around. It’s a pity they don’t make them with 2 doors.

They do have a Mooney with 2 doors.  You just have to find either an Acclaim Ultra or an Ovation Ultra.  They both have a pilot and co-pilot side doors.

I definitely would recommend a mid or long body, they have extra rear leg room which means more room to slide the seats back for exit/entry. Getting in and out would be more difficult if you don’t slide the seats back.

You can stagger the seats if you have wide shoulders unless your copilot is the same size.

I’m 6’4”, 205# and long in the torso. I have the adjustable seats all the way down and I fly with the seat in the third hole from the rear. I have no problem fitting in my ‘88 J but there is a short learning curve required for getting in and out in a somewhat graceful manner. 

Good luck in your search.

I think you’ll find most Mooney owners proud of their planes, and happy to show them off. Some are so pleased, they even ask passengers to remove their shoes. I will bet you could stop at almost any small airport and ask around, and find a Mooniac to proselytize at you. If you’re up for a road trip, to EDE, NC, I have a very fine long body to might try on for size. It’s not for sale, though. I’ve  been told you don’t “get in,” a Mooney, you “put it on”.  Short and fat granny just sort of rolls in. Some disabled Angelflight passengers ooch up the wing on their bottoms and slide backwards onto the seat. They exit by sliding off the wing forward, into the waiting arms of an attendant. My very tall and broad passengers are grateful when I remember to crank the front articulating seat all the way down. Their shoulders are far aft of mine. 

I would be happy to show off my plane.  My normal price is you pay for lunch for me to come to you. :)  And maybe a friend also. :D

But my plane is in the shop for a major avionics upgrade.  But if you are still looking in about 2 months, let me know.

The way I get in and out should not be a problem with height.  I step into the floor with my left foot.  Grab the windshield bar and the grab handle and swing down and in.  Getting out is the opposite.

7 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

They do have a Mooney with 2 doors.  You just have to find either an Acclaim Ultra or an Ovation Ultra.  They both have a pilot and co-pilot side doors.

I hope to get there one day ;)

7 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I definitely would recommend a mid or long body, they have extra rear leg room which means more room to slide the seats back for exit/entry. Getting in and out would be more difficult if you don’t slide the seats back.

You can stagger the seats if you have wide shoulders unless your copilot is the same size.

I was looking at J or Ovation. From what I’ve read, they are the best from economy/cruise speed/ body length perspective. Although I’ve also heard that not all Mooneys allow seats to go down.

2 hours ago, Pinecone said:

I would be happy to show off my plane.  My normal price is you pay for lunch for me to come to you. :)  And maybe a friend also. :D

But my plane is in the shop for a major avionics upgrade.  But if you are still looking in about 2 months, let me know.

The way I get in and out should not be a problem with height.  I step into the floor with my left foot.  Grab the windshield bar and the grab handle and swing down and in.  Getting out is the opposite.

Amazing! If I won’t find any, I’ll ping you. Appreciate your kindness!

16 hours ago, Aviationist said:

if you are tall shoulder width may be an issue at least for the older mooneys, the fuel selector is in the floor between your legs. For the tall with the seat back especially, it is NOT easy to get to every half hour or however often you change tanks. 

There is a way the fix that problem as well....

See the attached picture.

John Breda

New Fuel Selector.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ive said:

I was looking at J or Ovation. From what I’ve read, they are the best from economy/cruise speed/ body length perspective. Although I’ve also heard that not all Mooneys allow seats to go down.

All Ovations (and Bravos and Acclaims) have fully articulating seats. Basically all Mooneys, including J’s, should have them from 1988-ish and forward I believe.