Best idea for Ovation oxygen?

rickseeman

My O doesn't have oxygen. Not that I will need it much, but I would like to have it available. I'm sure putting in factory oxygen would be unfeasible. So what are my options? 30 years ago I used cannulas at 25,000 ft in my 231. Now they say mask over FL180. Is that a reg? I would think now-a-days with the blood oxygen meters on our finger we would know if we need more oxygen. Thanks.

7 hours ago, rickseeman said:

My O doesn't have oxygen. Not that I will need it much, but I would like to have it available. I'm sure putting in factory oxygen would be unfeasible. So what are my options? 30 years ago I used cannulas at 25,000 ft in my 231. Now they say mask over FL180. Is that a reg? I would think now-a-days with the blood oxygen meters on our finger we would know if we need more oxygen. Thanks.

Nobody has ever pulled me over at 18000 feet and checked if I was wearing a mask…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, rickseeman said:

The portable 2 person versions are fine. You can end up with hoses all over the place but it’s not terrible.  I have an older aerox that came with masks too but I’ve never used them.  Realistically, your O isn’t gonna be cruising above 18,000’ often since it’s not turbo.

• Like 1

Depends…

1) Some people with the 310hp option can cruise in the lowest FL….

2) Installing an O2 system… there isn’t a lot of Mooney specific hardware to go with it… tons of install effort including the filler door…

3) I usually stay at 12.5k’ and below… No installed O2 either…

4) If building up my O to forever-plane status… adding an O2 system would be on the upgrade list… primarily getting filled at my hangar as well… and about a 80amu panel update… to get to the new millennium status…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

I would highly recommend a Mountain High system... You could get away with a small portable bottle using that system.  No install cost easy to get refilled. 

Here is an altitude/duration chart

Click on "cylinder size and duration "  Look at the EDS numbers in black.  

https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/aluminum-cylinders/

For a point of reference, a 16" x 4.5" cylinder  weighting 5 lbs would give a single person over 12 hours of O2 at 15,000 feet.  If you had 4 people onboard that is 3 hours worth of O2.  Of course you wont need o2 for much of the climb and descent.

Edited by Austintatious
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Austintatious said:

I would highly recommend a Mountain High system... You could get away with a small portable bottle using that system.  No install cost easy to get refilled. 

Here is an altitude/duration chart

Click on "cylinder size and duration "  Look at the EDS numbers in black.  

https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/aluminum-cylinders/

For a point of reference, a 16" x 4.5" cylinder  weighting 5 lbs would give a single person over 12 hours of O2 at 15,000 feet.  If you had 4 people onboard that is 3 hours worth of O2.  Of course you wont need o2 for much of the climb and descent.

I'll check it out. Thanks

4 hours ago, PT20J said:

How much trouble is it to get refills during trips around the US?

A friend of mine uses those medical bottles.  He says sometimes it no problem, but other times they want your prescription.  Not sure if a copy would satisfy them.  Sometimes he is able to get a refill at a welding/industrial place like AirGas or PraxAir.  Other times he has better luck at a home medical supply.  On a trip of several hundred miles, he usually takes multiple bottles -- enough for the whole trip.

11 hours ago, PT20J said:

How much trouble is it to get refills during trips around the US?

The North America standard fitting on portable bottles is the CGA-540.  The Outlet thread is .903″-14.

Built in O2 systems typically have AN800-3 3/8 inch -24 Outlet threads (smaller and lighter). See Ovation O2 fill YouTube below.

Many of the FBO's are only equipped to fill built in oxygen tanks on planes (.AN800-3 3/8 inch -24 fitting).  They may have a CGA-540 combo adapter that connects to the AN800 - (see below).  If they do fill CGA-540 portable tank fittings the prices are ridiculous.

If you are a big user of O2 with portable bottles it might make sense to buy your own AN800 to CGA-540 adapter - that way any FBO with O2 can fill your bottle.

I get my portable bottles filled at a Scuba Dive shop in Houston.

image.png.fcd998cb4797ed36ae4fd1e4b2804aa8.png

ox.png.2d8724902193bc28d74268938a6092ee.png

image.png.82c09fb14087e2220d59d866df2b72e5.png

Edited by 1980Mooney
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:05 PM, rickseeman said:

My O doesn't have oxygen. Not that I will need it much, but I would like to have it available. 

I found that once I had a good system that was easy to access and use in flight, I started using it more than I expected.  Great for night flight, and keeping more fresh for long flight days.

Another happy user of the Mountain High O2D2 to sip the O2 slowly.  I got the tall skinny bottle that hangs on the back of my seat, but rests its weight on the floor.  I can reach it from the pilot seat if I decide I want to use it, mid-flight.  

-dan

• Like 3

Summary-ish…

1) O2 systems will improve your Mooney flying experience…

2) A portable system is a great way to prove #1 to yourself, and family…. Buying time to assemble or collect parts for a better system…

3) there are two different manufacturers to select from… Mountain High, and Aerox Systems…

4) Getting O2 while away from home can be a hassle… but many odd places to get it from at all locations… Scuba shops, but not sub shops… :)

5) There aren’t any bad reports about the O2D2… just less value if you fill your tank in your own hangar, and don’t stray too far for long with too many people on board…

6) Getting O2 at a major FBO at a big airport… must have gold flakes in it…

7) Every now and then an O2 system comes up for sale around here… portable.

8) Setting up your own cascade filling system is pretty easy, not real expensive… fun if you are techy engineer mechanic kinda person…

9) there are a few words of caution for new users of O2 systems… oil, fuel, and O2 can self ignite… no flame required….   So be sure to remove your lipstick before donning your O2 mask…

10) flights over 10k’ get better with O2… night flights above 5k’ get better with O2…

11) cannulas are common, headset mounted some times… fancy masks with high end mics for a few MSers…

12) Looks like Siri was helping RG with his typing…. :)

10 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Get fill at subs shop for a fraction of the price of the fbo. Fill tanks make sense if you use a lot 

Go O2!

When you get tired of all the tubes and wires crossing the cabin… get an installed system…

When you fly above 14.5k’… consider having a decent portable back up system…. Ready to deploy…

Check out all the latest options for measuring our O2 blood levels… even my fit bit keeps track continuously… I-watches are nicer…

Using O2 in the FLs gets serious… we lost a LB pilot on his way to AC to attend a PPP safety training… unconscious until running out of fuel over the ocean… sad memory…

PP thoughts only, I only ran out of O2 once… 

Best regards,

-a-

One other option is an oxygen concentrator.   It uses a special media to capture nitrogen, thus delivering air with a higher % O2.

Inogen is the one most mentioned in aviation.  Reports are that it will supply two people up to 18,000.   

No filling required.   

• Like 3

I put earphone buds on my precise flight boom cannulas, improves oxygenation, use precise flight pulse breathers in my Bravo, cuts consumption by maybe 2/3, keep full size tank in my hangar, typically swap 2x per year, typically when pressure drops below 1000 psi, refill portable tanks of my friends for free, the only bummer with the tank is letting it go half full, there are electric oxygen boost pumps but to my best understanding they are about $4k new, if I ever see a used one I will buy it, having the tank in the hangar is worth it to me after FBO banged up my oxygen door once upon a time

put buds on cannula outlet like you put on earphone, seals in nose like it seals in ear, you can breathe out through nose but almost seals tight when breathing in, more comfortable than cannula end which can be sharp and get aggravating after a couple of hours, I think mine came with a Samsung phone, generic item, soft rubber, have mask but these appear to be just fine

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fritz1 said:

put buds on cannula outlet like you put on earphone, seals in nose like it seals in ear, you can breathe out through nose but almost seals tight when breathing in, more comfortable than cannula end which can be sharp and get aggravating after a couple of hours, I think mine came with a Samsung phone, generic item, soft rubber, have mask but these appear to be just fine

I would be really concerned about doing this, especially if your oxygen stops flowing for some reason. I can’t say I’ve ever seen it done.

I set mine to go on automatically at 5000’ and just start wearing it before I take off, so for a lot of my flight there’s no flow through the cannula. I don’t think that would work with the headphones in my nose. Also seems like it would limit the amount of air you can inhale since you can only get what the cannula gives you. And if you breathe in too hard and pull one of those earbud things into your trachea that could get pretty unpleasant. I’ve fished things out of peoples tracheas, but never my own.

• Like 1