adding a step?

peevee

Maybe I asked this already, but on all the rockets I've seen the step has been removed. This drives me crazy as it increases the chances of someone stepping on the flap. Has anyone reinstalled a step that has been removed? Is it as easy as bolting up a new step and cutting a hole for it? We have an aftermarket (I think..) one piece belly.

I thought about carrying a stool, but if I put it in baggage I have to get out, shimmy around the passenger on the wing, and put it in place. Seems just as risky. Maybe someone has thought of a better solution that I haven't thought of.

Edited by peevee

peevee, you shouldn't need to cut a hole, it was probably covered when the existing step was removed. My step is well outside the one-piece belly, too. Get out your creeper and look behind the wing outside the belly panel; I think my step is on a 1½" square tube.

Steps come in two varieties fixed and retract. Retract has a square tube. Fixed gets an aerodynamic cover.

Check with Jerry at ACpartswhse for his inventory of stuff from old Mooneys....

A K at altitude with a fixed step and aero dynamic cover would be better than doing the two step with passengers with a stool...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I'm sure the plane had a step, and if you look in the tailcone you should see the receiver tube for it. You can likely buy a replacement step from Jerry or LASAR and paint to match. The aero cover is simply sheet aluminum cut/formed/riveted into a teardrop shape.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Steps come in two varieties fixed and retract. Retract has a square tube. Fixed gets an aerodynamic cover.

Check with Jerry at ACpartswhse for his inventory of stuff from old Mooneys....

A K at altitude with a fixed step and aero dynamic cover would be better than doing the two step with passengers with a stool...

Best regards,

-a-

it's probably 2 knots at best.

I didn't think any of the K had retractable steps

25 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

I'm sure the plane had a step, and if you look in the tailcone you should see the receiver tube for it. You can likely buy a replacement step from Jerry or LASAR and paint to match. The aero cover is simply sheet aluminum cut/formed/riveted into a teardrop shape.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'll dig around back there, I never thought to look in from the access door, I guess it is right there, isn't it.

It's really an annoyance not having it. Much more than I expected.

Edited by peevee

4 hours ago, peevee said:

Maybe I asked this already, but on all the rockets I've seen the step has been removed. This drives me crazy as it increases the chances of someone stepping on the flap. Has anyone reinstalled a step that has been removed? Is it as easy as bolting up a new step and cutting a hole for it? We have an aftermarket (I think..) one piece belly.

I thought about carrying a stool, but if I put it in baggage I have to get out, shimmy around the passenger on the wing, and put it in place. Seems just as risky. Maybe someone has thought of a better solution that I haven't thought of.

I have that problem on every flight with someone other than another pilot.  They remember not to step on the flap during boarding because I'm standing there and just told them about it.  However, the climb to altitude erases their memory and they forget not to step on it when deplaning.

What I've started doing is leave the flaps full down after landing.  Pretty hard to step on the flaps in that configuration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob - S50 said:

I have that problem on every flight with someone other than another pilot.  They remember not to step on the flap during boarding because I'm standing there and just told them about it.  However, the climb to altitude erases their memory and they forget not to step on it when deplaning.

What I've started doing is leave the flaps full down after landing.  Pretty hard to step on the flaps in that configuration.

I try to remember to do that too, but my wife is really short so she needs a step

I had to add it to my K about 15 years ago. But you'll have no problem getting the parts through your favorite MSC. The step bolts on and uses a fairing to reduce drag to minimal. I really don't understand why people thing they are going faster without it and although I live where it's warm, getting out at my favorite ski area is an accident waiting to happen without it jumping onto ice.

If you want to save some $, I'd start with the salvage yards - probably the same part #'s used on the longbody's too and you'll need to have it painted to match anyway.

BTW, I am 6' and don't relish getting out of a Mooney without the step!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, peevee said:

I try to remember to do that too, but my wife is really short so she needs a step

Mine too (5'2").  I carry a folding step in the baggage compartment.  She usually just opens it up and drops it on the ground.  If it doesn't land properly then I go around her and set it down properly.

4 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

Mine too (5'2").  I carry a folding step in the baggage compartment.  She usually just opens it up and drops it on the ground.  If it doesn't land properly then I go around her and set it down properly.

Along with what another poster said, ice is a bit scary too.

I just don't understand why someone thought it was a good idea to remove the step.

Just now, peevee said:

Along with what another poster said, ice is a bit scary too.

I just don't understand why someone thought it was a good idea to remove the step.

Ours never had a step as far as I can tell.  Fortunately, in the Seattle area we don't worry about ice on the ground.  It only happens a couple days each year.  I'm also content not to fly anyplace cold enough to worry about snow and ice.  Comes with getting old I guess.

My retractable step only comes out when I fly with my CFI  we call it the old man step. My wife has no problem stepping onto the wing while holding the grab handle by the baggage door. When I have to put it down for myself well I guess that will be the measure of my getting old.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Steve Dawson said:

I put mine on after 4 years without it and I maybe lost 1/2 knot. I really like having the step back now. Just makes it easy to get in and out. 

it's not even a question, I want the step. the only question is how much it'll cost and how much hassle. it's been so windy I haven't really messed with the plane much to look and see if they did anything dumb when they removed it.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Gagarin said:

You are taking a big risk of getting sue by someone falling and injuring due to the lack of the factory step.:o The original approval of the plane included the step.

I've seen a lot of Mooneys without steps . . . . . but mine has one, repaired after the PO's gear up, even.