Bruce Jaeger's Spatial Interiors -- East Coast Project Interest

Marauder

Jaeger's Spatial Interiors Workshop  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Heck yeah Marauder! I'm tired at looking at my yellow cracked panels!

• And I want to be a good Cheap Bast$%d and have interest in attending depending on timing and location.
    • Sorry, I'm too cheap to attend unless he is giving them away.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

His design is similar to the airline interiors. Less screws and more industrial Velcro. Makes for an easier removal for interior wiring work and I suspect if you damage a panel, easier replacement. Part of the pre-work I am doing with him is to understand the value proposition to the community. I don't think his intended audience are those guys willing to drop 5 digits with Hector or any other quality interior shop. 

I also believe he approaches this aligned with the condition of your existing interior. It is not an all or nothing renovation. If your existing plastic is in need of repair, he has an option to use your existing plastic with replacement panels from his design. I think he has a logical approach to a reasonably priced renovation. The next steps for me is to define what this means for an average owner in terms of effort and cost.

Here is a link to some pics of what Bruce and I did for my F a few years ago. Labor was about 18 man hours, and that could have been reduced considerably if I wasn't in Bruce's way.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7met1astg3adx3a/AAA1kUMh1OJo3XUPgO4lm2wIa?dl=0

The interior came out very nice. I found some nice ultra leather with burn specs and redid the panels in the ceiling, hat rack area. Bruce's silicone trim pieces really detailed the window surrounds which were original, repaired with plumbers putty, epoxy and fiberglass, painted with SEM.

The lower interior panels can be completely removed in about 10 minutes, and reinstalled in about the same. They are easily cleaned with household stuff. It was a great upgrade for my F, and one of Bruce's first projects. I am sure he has perfected some of the pieces, and the process now. Bruce is a square shooter who wants a happy camper more than he wants another interior sold in his pocket.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

The interior came out very nice. I found some nice ultra leather with burn specs and redid the panels in the ceiling, hat rack area. Bruce's silicone trim pieces really detailed the window surrounds which were original, repaired with plumbers putty, epoxy and fiberglass, painted with SEM.

That's very nice looking!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marauder said: His design is similar to the airline interiors. Less screws and more industrial Velcro. Makes for an easier removal for interior wiring work and I suspect if you damage a panel, easier replacement. Part of the pre-work I am doing with him is to understand the value proposition to the community. I don't think his intended audience are those guys willing to drop 5 digits with Hector or any other quality interior shop. 

I also believe he approaches this aligned with the condition of your existing interior. It is not an all or nothing renovation. If your existing plastic is in need of repair, he has an option to use your existing plastic with replacement panels from his design. I think he has a logical approach to a reasonably priced renovation. The next steps for me is to define what this means for an average owner in terms of effort and cost.

Here is a link to some pics of what Bruce and I did for my F a few years ago. Labor was about 18 man hours, and that could have been reduced considerably if I wasn't in Bruce's way.

The lower interior panels can be completely removed in about 10 minutes, and reinstalled in about the same. They are easily cleaned with household stuff. It was a great upgrade for my F, and one of Bruce's first projects. I am sure he has perfected some of the pieces, and the process now. Bruce is a square shooter who wants a happy camper more than he wants another interior sold in his pocket.

Thanks for posting these Mike! Based on what Bruce has been telling me, he has made some changes including additions like the eyeball sockets. Hopefully he will send me the current design soon. He told me he just finished up a 77J and is working on a 68F at this time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just wanted you to know Bruce will be on the east coast the week of July 11th. He and I will be getting together sometime during the week to look over his offerings and to discuss working with a local installer. If you are interested in meeting Bruce or his seeing his offerings, let me know. He provided some new photos of his work.

Brad -- he has a solution for the roof vents that you may be interested in.

DSC_4314.JPGDSC_4316.JPGDSC_4319.JPGDSC_4323.JPGDSC_4328.JPGDSC_4335.JPG

He also mentioned that he is a strong advocate of repairing the existing plastic when possible. To that end he has developed a new repair process that he is willing to discuss.

Types of compromised plastic found in our planes:

Typical types of plastic blemishes.JPG

Acrylic tape to patch the holes:

Thin plastic applied with acrylic tape.JPGAwaiting PlasticWeld.JPG

Plastic welding prior to sanding and final finishing:

PlasticWeld awaiting sanding.JPG

The final product...

All voids are filled.JPG

You'll have to meet up with us to see it (just kidding. He will send me the photo when the plastic gets painted -- it's drying).

• Like 1

Message from Jaeger Aviation and Spatial Interior. Schedules to show the Spatial Interior for this weekend appear to be falling apart. What is truly needed are referrals for possible installation centers from anywhere in the country. From my past experience the best options appear to be a select group of professional upholsterers with interest in the Mooney, open to the new panel design and plastic repair rather than covering problems. This could certainly be individuals or small companies. A ten year learning curve has resulted in a unique product developed and refined for the vintage Mooney owner. As I cannot cover the country, I am willing to offer training and support anywhere it is needed. Would appreciate personal referrals be sent directly to bruce@jaegeraviation.com. My personal MN and FL seasonal install locations invite owner participation. Fly Safe.  

• Like 3

From personal experience, I can attest that the second Spatial Interior install would be easier than the first. I must admit that my personal learning curve had its frustrating moments. That being said, simplifications with the baggage area corners, fitting around the instrument panel, an easier to install layered door trim and the acrylic tape for upper plastic repair make the DIY idea more appealing. Ideally it would be good to have someone experience an install that could become a helper. This could be an upholsterer or willing Mooney owner. I have had more than one owner try to do this on their own. I have not heard if they would make the same decision again or ask for help. The possibility has always existed for any owner to assist in an install and when ready to complete on their own, we send them home. I would offer whatever assistance possible with written and illustrated instructions. The kit would come with all material needed to install the Spatial panels and either actual materials or listing of items needed to repair plastics. We must also remember that any STC approved product will require an IA inspection, FAA337 form and logbook endorsement. Samples of these forms will also be provided.

None of this is truly difficult, but there is a learning curve. I would be pleased to visit with anyone by phone about the pros and cons of an owner install.  Visit www.jaegeraviation.com for contact information.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:09 PM, Hyett6420 said:

Ok, thank you for that and i think what you are doing is great.  I must admit that having just had to remove the door panels to put in a new door seal, i can certainly agree with his "less screws" approach, there were at least 30-40 that i removed that were holding on the panels.  I wondered had they ever heard of push sockets like they use on car panels?  

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:19 PM, N1395W said:

Is anyone with a Spatial Interior going to be at Oshkosh?  Any chance some of us could take a look?

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:10 AM, Marauder said:

Hi All,

Just wanted you to know Bruce will be on the east coast the week of July 11th. He and I will be getting together sometime during the week to look over his offerings and to discuss working with a local installer. If you are interested in meeting Bruce or his seeing his offerings, let me know. He provided some new photos of his work.

Brad -- he has a solution for the roof vents that you may be interested in.

DSC_4314.JPGDSC_4316.JPGDSC_4319.JPGDSC_4323.JPGDSC_4328.JPGDSC_4335.JPG

He also mentioned that he is a strong advocate of repairing the existing plastic when possible. To that end he has developed a new repair process that he is willing to discuss.

Types of compromised plastic found in our planes:

Typical types of plastic blemishes.JPG

Acrylic tape to patch the holes:

Thin plastic applied with acrylic tape.JPGAwaiting PlasticWeld.JPG

Plastic welding prior to sanding and final finishing:

PlasticWeld awaiting sanding.JPG

The final product...

All voids are filled.JPG

You'll have to meet up with us to see it (just kidding. He will send me the photo when the plastic gets painted -- it's drying).

Photos show a plastic repair with thin flexible plastic, an adhesive as well as acrylic tape filled and sanded. Repaired plastics will fit and if needed, can be repaired again. When accompanied by the lower Spatial Interior panels, aircraft service is simplified and every bit of room is available for comfort. Owner participation invited. Jaeger Aviation is looking for upholsterers interested in becoming installation centers. Training provided by designer. Answers to questions, reply to Bruce at bruce@jaegeraviation.com.

Acrylic tape and trim adhesive comparison.JPG

Repaired vintage plastic.JPG

• Like 1

On July 14, 2016 at 9:19 PM, N1395W said:

Is anyone with a Spatial Interior going to be at Oshkosh?  Any chance some of us could take a look?

I plan to be at Osh Kosh Friday afternoon (7/29) til Sunday mid-day (7/31).  We'll be parking at Vintage parking.  Tail Number is N9211V and had the Spatial Interior done last year (October).  Bruce was great to work with and very skilled.  Send me a PM if you want to meet up and have a look at the Spatial Interior.

--Tom

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 3

On July 14, 2016 at 9:19 PM, N1395W said: Is anyone with a Spatial Interior going to be at Oshkosh?  Any chance some of us could take a look?

I plan to be at Osh Kosh Friday afternoon (7/29) til Sunday mid-day (7/31).  We'll be parking at Vintage parking.  Tail Number is N9211V and had the Spatial Interior done last year (October).  Bruce was great to work with and very skilled.  Send me a PM if you want to meet up and have a look at the Spatial Interior.

--Tom

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Tom -- I definitely would like to see a final project. I will be there on Friday, leaving Saturday. I will PM you with my contact info.

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

Tom -- I definitely would like to see a final project. I will be there on Friday, leaving Saturday. I will PM you with my contact info.

Same here, will PM also.  I will be there whenever you and Chris decide to meet up.  Hoping to convince my wife if I can get her to your plane also.

Edited by N1395W
  • Like 1