Tomorrow I Embark On Mooneydom! I hear it's just like martyrdom, but without the virgins...

The day has finally arrived. Tomorrow, I head up to fly, inspect and if all goes well, purchase my first Mooney. It will be hard to push my excitement aside and play the role of the skeptic--though I will do my best to follow all I have read here and scrutinize this bird with the prowess of a tiger and the instinct-driven wit of Sherlock Holmes. 

1975 M20F Turbo? Yes please. Here's a photo to aid in collective drool induction. 

N7462V Front.jpeg

• Like 6

Your welcome to Mooneydom will be much more fun than martyrdom. If you want, you can have virgins, too, but you must supply your own . . .

Have lots of fun, and fly safe!

You will never look at the 182 the same way again. In flight, you won't look at it unless you install a rear view mirror.  :D

Edited by Hank
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Ah!  So you know all about the virgins of ownership.  :P

I guess you know you are trading load for speed.....right?

So, not in this instance! My 182 had the 79 gal tanks...the Mooney had 54gal...useful load for both planes is just over 1000lbs! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Your welcome to Mooneydom will be much more fun than martyrdom. If you want, you can have virgins, too, but you must supply your own . . .

Have lots of fun, and fly safe!

You will never look at the 182 the same way again. In flight, you won't look at it unless you install a rear view mirror.  :D

I don't know about you but I see no appeal in having a virgin. I like being a CFI but not to teach that.

• Like 1

Still has an ADF or at least the clothes line antenna.   I would have replaced the boomarang antenna for a combo GPS/VHF Comrant Antenna instead of just putting a GPS antenna on it or if that is a combo then why not pull a boomarang?

Not sure of the scoop on the air filter, mine has one on the oil cooler, but not the air filter.  

Just giving you some bargaining power

5 hours ago, Hank said:

If you want, you can have virgins

5 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

trading load for speed

5 hours ago, Hank said:

rear view

4 hours ago, Brian Scranton said:

just over 1000lbs!

Brian, its not your fault , your new here. there are words that can not be written. This has started a slippery slope I know where it is going .Oh no, Slippery, I used one myself.

• Like 1

"Your welcome to Mooneydom will be much more fun than martyrdom. If you want, you can have virgins, too, but you must supply your own..."

Or you could get together with Marauder, he may have a few spares for you.

Clarence

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

The straight pipe exhaust seems a bit small and is some more drag.  Engines are just big wind pumps move the air through them most efficiently. Pretty paint job.  Nice color scheme

2 hours ago, cliffy said:

I remember reading something about the air scoop inlet way back when. Gotta try to remember what it was. 

Long exhaust pipe keeps the belly clean as does a little extension to the breather line

Keep us posted

It's supposed to have RayJay TN. That mod includes new exhaust. 

• 4 weeks later...
On February 22, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Brian Scranton said:

So, not in this instance! My 182 had the 79 gal tanks...the Mooney had 54gal...useful load for both planes is just over 1000lbs! 

True but your going to have a tough time using that load and keeping CG from going out the rear! Useful load isnt the trouble CG is!

2 hours ago, markazzarito said:

True but your going to have a tough time using that load and keeping CG from going out the rear! Useful load isnt the trouble CG is!

Strange, the useful load in my C is 970 lb, I've never had a CG problem even with 4 adult guys in the plane (though we were shortchanged on fuel, only 34 gals, but nobody wanted to stay in the plane 3 hours so I could land with the full 45 min reserve that day). Do,you have CG issues? How / what are you loading? I can take the wife on vacation for two weeks, my problem is cubic feet, not gross weight or CG.

P.S.--we're all waiting for wonderful tales of the TN speedster! Waiting with bated breath, no less . . .

Edited by Hank

Congrats!  I had a 1967 F prior to upgrading. Your F looks fantastic.  I'm also curious how the TN works out.  Very crude numbers from memory recall the TN is good for about 2 additional TAS knots every 1000 feet or so over 8000 - 10000 over a normal F.  So, still slower than a K, but faster than an F and J at altitude and within 10-15 knots of a K - amazing value for the price.

Very happy for you.  Also, the Cessna 182 has a sweet spot in my heart - great airplane.

-Seth