Hi Everyone! Warning: New Guy Here, First Post

Flyingbeard

15 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

All GA planes are Mooney-pits.  If you are scared that is a good start regarding entering into the world of aircraft ownership.  I have "heard" that Beech thinks very highly of their parts.  

Enter the game with eyes wide open.  There are no "good deals"...until you find the plane that has been loved and flown.  You will then spend a lot of AMU's making it yours.

The man from Iowa is 100% correct.

• Like 1

Mark, welcome and happy hunting!

You might want to join MAPA. http://www.mooneypilots.com/ There are always several on planes there listed for sale. I would suppose that anything listed in a small mag going to Mooney folks might be expected to be nicer than the average plane listed elsewhere and the price might be higher. Just my opinion/impression.

And LASAR  http://www.lasar.com/ a well respected West Coast MSC allows folks to list plane on their site.

When looking at Fs (or Cs & Es) in addition to the status of the air frame, engine, panel, paint, and interior, you'll see a lot of differences based on whether the numerously "201" mods have been retrofitted to the legacy models. A pre M20J with with no mods, a high time engine, old radios, poor paint and interior might be airworthy and still not be worth much given the cost all the amenities a new owner is likely to want.

Conversely, a 50 year old plane with plenty of time left on the engine, 201 mods, STEC autopilot, GTN, ADS-B, good paint and interior might be a fair value @ 60 or more AMU.   

Welcome Mark.  I would talk with a few of the MSC to see if they know of any.  That's how I got mine. They generally have maintained it and really know what to look for.  I spent $2000 on a good pre buy for one listed in Las Vegas only to walk away from it.  The best money I ever spent.  Surprizing that ALL brokers and sellers aren't honest (tongue in cheek).    I would also consider looking in Canada, with the dollar at 72 cents, it make the prices up here a good deal.

You'll love the Mooney.

Lee

Welcome aboard.  Dive right in, the water's fine.

I had 25,000 hours, all in "someone else's airplane" when I  bought my C.  No pre-buy, no experience...just a great airplane.  18 years later, it's still all good.

Don't worry, be happy.

Go with your gut and evaluate the seller as closely as you evaluate the airplane.

Mooneymite.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Welcome aboard.  Dive right in, the water's fine.

I had 25,000 hours, all in "someone else's airplane" when I  bought my C.  No pre-buy, no experience...just a great airplane.  18 years later, it's still all good.

Don't worry, be happy.

Go with your gut and evaluate the seller as closely as you evaluate the airplane.

Mooneymite.

+1! I had a brief PPI done, cut oil filter, corrosion inspection, logs. But the last seller and the 2 owners before him going back over 15 years were all professional pilots and they plane was well cared for.

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.  I'd add that a digital engine monitor of some sort is probably the most valuable piece of panel you can put in your plane.   Lycoming 4-bangers run LOP easily and an engine monitor will pay for itself year over year in 100LL and hopefully in detecting engine health issues before they become major. 

You'll also want at least a single axis autopilot regardless of the level of avionics you find/ install.  Altitude hold is nice but not necessary as the Mooney is rock steady trimmed in the vertical axis.  

Keep in mind that most on the market (at least that I've looked at recently) are not ADS-B ready and you'll probably need to plan for the cost of compliance.  

Have fun in your search.  Look closely at any plane you consider and make detailed notes... In person if possible but you can ask for pictures if you can't lay eyes on it (engine, empennage, tail assy, spar caps, etc).  I'd recommend that plus a review of the logs as a first pass and then obtain a pre buy with a MSC different than the one that has been maintaining it if the plane was maintained at an MSC.  Feel free to post a 'what do you think about this one?' thread for any you're interested in.   A lot of us like pretend shopping with other people's money.  

13 hours ago, carusoam said: "You might be interested in the NJ Mooney pilot's organization.  Having a Mooney will give you the freedom to travel beyond state lines...."

Have they finally decided to get your guys corralled in state?

We have been asking them to change the name to the Mid Atlantic Mooney Organization. More of us from outside of NJ than in. But the ruling party (those that set up the events) has spoken. And we're all from Jersey. Just not sure which exit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

We have been asking them to change the name to the Mid Atlantic Mooney Organization. More of us from outside of NJ than in. But the ruling party (those that set up the events) has spoken. And we're all from Jersey. Just not sure which exit. emoji16.png

Which exit is Pittsburgh?  That's just after the New Brunswick one right? 

Mark -- there are a few of us in your area. Jerry who owns an Ovation is based I believe at Martin State. He changed his name on the site and will look it up for you.

I own a 75 F and you want to check out an F, let me know and we can try to figure out when and where we can meet up.

WOW! Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am excited, the more I read and learn about the M20's, the more, I think that is the airplane that best fits my mission. I have been saving my AMUs, so if I find the right plane, I am ready. 

I will check out the NJ Mooney's Pilots Org. I work out of NYC (EWR, LGA & JFK) and make the drive up the turnpike a few times a month.

Antares, I am glad that your mishap ended so well. Thanks for sharing. 

As promised. It is Jerry 5TJ who flies an Ovation out of the Baltimore area. Since you most likely cut across Delaware to get to NY, Danb flies a Bravo out of KILG and I'm based at N57 with my F. I'm sure both of those guys will give you a tour of their Mooney. Spoiler alert. Both of their planes are more modern and you will be drooling when you see them.

If you are looking at an F or early J, you're more than welcomed to stop at my airport for a flight. You just need to promise me one thing, fly sloppy. The last guy I flew with was a C5 pilot out of Dover. He was so smooth on the controls it made me wonder what I have been doing for the last 24 years I've owned my Mooney.

PM if you want contact information.

1 minute ago, Marauder said: We have been asking them to change the name to the Mid Atlantic Mooney Organization. More of us from outside of NJ than in. But the ruling party (those that set up the events) has spoken. And we're all from Jersey. Just not sure which exit.

Which exit is Pittsburgh?  That's just after the New Brunswick one right? 

Well, having lived in Jersey for 6 years in the 80s, I learned there are no town names involved. You just declare the exit.

"I'm from Jersey, you from Jersey? What exit you off of?"

So, in your case, you would be off of exit 400 something.

Just got my M20C last August, so I feel the OPs pain.  Some airplanes you just scratch your head wondering why their asking what they are.  I found  huge number of hangar queens not even in annual.  

One extra thing to pay attention to with Mooneys.  All aircraft have especially expensive maintenance items, engines and paint.  Either can easily cost more than the aircraft is worth.  Mooneys have a third, which is their fuel tanks.  After 50 or so years they leak.  The fix is between 7 and ten AMUs depending on how you go about it.  If the tanks haven't been sealed in memory, they either are leaking or they will.  There are only a couple places that seal them, and its expensive.

Mooney is the biggest bang for the buck in GA period.

• Like 2

Mooney is the biggest bang for the buck in GA period.

Well said.

Forget about the maintenance, etc.--the plane is just a joy to fly.

Of course, the assumption is that your Mooney is in good shape maintenance -wise ;)

Well said.

Forget about the maintenance, etc.--the plane is just a joy to fly.

Of course, the assumption is that your Mooney is in good shape maintenance -wise ;)

No such thing about a complex aircraft that doesn't involve more maintenance, there's more to inspect and more to break. 

Hi Everyone! 

Thanks for all the information on what to look for in a good Mooney. I have been busy the last few days doing my recurrent training at work. Now back to my search. I am going to try to stop by Air Mods next week and have a look at this airplane:

Mooney M20J '78

Any thoughts?

Looks nice but for me I would not be thrilled with 1200hrs SMOH did not notice what year the OH was done. No reason to think the engine would be an issue just a number that raises an eyebrow when I was looking I wanted something under 1000 on the build

Hi Everyone! 

Thanks for all the information on what to look for in a good Mooney. I have been busy the last few days doing my recurrent training at work. Now back to my search. I am going to try to stop by Air Mods next week and have a look at this airplane:

Mooney M20J '78

Any thoughts?

For the price difference I would look at the 75 M20C.  Only 400 hours on the engine.  You can't beat the C and E models for the price and performance that you get.

I'm biased since I have a 78J but:

Higher SMOH does not bother me, I bought mine with 1600hrs, just have to be prepared for a possible overhaul in the future, which is also possible on a 400 hr engine, if it's been abused or been sitting.

If you plan on upgrading, the J has more upside, it's simply more desirable than vintage models.

Devil is in the details, when I was looking I would see what looked like a nice plane from an ad that up close was not so nice.

I was looking at the 75 model C, but that airplane has not one, but 2 gear ups in it's history. 

Damage History: Gear up landings in 1986 and 2010
Other: Mooney Service Center maintained for 30+ years

I would not be too afraid of older gear ups that were repaired by a reputable shop. You will find many Mooneys have a gear up history.

• Like 1