Instrument panel lighting options.

Lood

Apart for the couple of "newer" instruments, my Mooney still has the two roof mounted lights for panel illumination. I'm planning to upgrade that in the near future, but there seems to be a lot of different types of panel lighting options available.

In my previous airplane, I had the small lights that replaces one of the instrument retaining screws. These worked quite well, but I've seen another type I like more. They are basically a ring that is placed between the instrument and the panel.

I would appreciate any recommendations and advice on this from anyone that does night flying.

I too am looking for panel light options.  I still have the old style panel with the crappy plastic overlay, with post lights attached to the plastic, not the panel itself. It's awful.  I would like to ditch the post lights and go to the NuLite ring lights, as this also gives me future flexibility when I convert my panel to a 201 style, as I can continue to use the NuLites and not lose that investment.  I also plan to fabricate my own overhead panel and console, and ditch the crappy old spot lights and rheostats in favor of a solid state dimmer (compatible with the NuLites).

Another option, though not sure if it would fly with the FSDO, is a strip LED under the glareshield, illuminating the entire panel.

I installed Nu-Lites in my Cherokee and I think they are GREAT!!

I installed a reostat and can turn them up bright enough to read charts and turn them down low enough so that on a moonless night over the desert the illumination level is perfect.

I'll be buying a Mooney soon and if it doesn't have Nu-Lites, I'll install them.

Nu-Lights are the way to go...  I had them installed  around each of my instruments (except the two that were back lit) when I did my panel upgrade and attached all of the to the dimmer all ready in the plane for the roof mounted lights.  I still have the roof lights (3 red lights adjustable on posts), but the nu-lights are great.  I now can put the red roof lights down on the trim and flap indicator, and use one for each pilot and co-pilot as chart lights.  It is really nice not to have to fish around for a flashlight all of the time at night. 

Aaron

• 1 year later...

Larry,

From my M20C experience....

There is a readily available post for all things to be dimmed under the left side of the instrument panel.  The dimmer switch is up in the ceiling, but the "wire to" position is only a short distance from your instruments.

There should also be a single light bulb aimed at the fuel selector switch very near by this post.

Of course, you should probably have your A&P / electrician helping you with this one.  Overall it is very easy since most of the new lights that are avilable are LED and draw very little electricity.

Best regards,

-a-

Remember that LED's do not draw enough current to dim with the old rheostat. To keep the old rheostat, you must either have a bulb somewhere in the circuit or a resistance to ground to draw enough current through the rheostat to setup the voltage gradiant. This definately requires a licensed individual to do the work.

• 11 months later...

I'm not sure if this is the same things, but Spruce has them for much cheaper at $43.95 per light: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/nulite.php

If you do a google image search for "Nulite panel lights", it's amazing how much better a panel looks and how much easier it is to see the gauges with them installed. This is going to be one of the first things I do when I get my Mooney.