Moving Along Nicely

aviatoreb

Hey Yves, and Houman.  That would be fantasitc!  HERE is an idea just for brain storming.

Let's do it!  Here's an idea - THIS Sunday I am due to pick up a friend coming in from Oregon, arriving in Burlington VT - at around 4 - as I always say - weather permitting but current forecast is good, knock on wood.  If you guys care to come to BTV at lunch time it could be a good spot since, a) BTV is a port of entry with a station right there on the field to check in. B) great town to have lunch, c) Houman I know your plane is in for upgrades, and BTV is not at all far from Montreal to drive if Yves can't pick you up.  Just an idea, otherwise we can think of something else soon.

I would have loved to come and my plane is not yet in upgrades, it will be in couple of weeks. The problem is that I will have my son and in my divorce agreement, I have to advise his mom 4 weeks in advance for out of country travel ( long story, messy messy divorce ).

So I will see what can be done, but if we can do this the weekend after it would be better, but I think it's easter I believe....

If you guys want to come to Canada, I can travel to Yves or somewhere closer to both with the Rocket....

>I'm having the interior done in Mid April, so for sure I will come show it off to you, I'm jelous of your EDM, so we can each appreciate the other's M20K Rocket.

I just got the EDM830 done at the beginning of Jan - loving it!

This was cool.  And a part 135 King Air flying buddy who was up at the same time on the same frequency as me heard it and texted me that he heard it: Boston Center said they don't usually see "you guys up here."

And sorta the same - last Friday I was returning home from Winston-Salem for a direct nonstop 600mi trip at FL21 which I chose partly for modest tail winds, but mostly because I wanted clear view of a winter storm that was just clearing out of MD and PA.  As it turns out I topped it by 10k but the winds were good so I stayed.  Anyway as I was climbing through 17000 still with a good head of steam, and checked on with the next controller, he asked "how high can that thing go?"  I said I was cert to 24 - he said impressive.  I do sometimes get some kind of comment if I am having an especially fast day.

I was flying once from the U.P of MI to Indianapolis to pick up a customer buying a new truck (big trucks) from my dealership.  Winds were decent so I was at FL190 and the controller calls me out as traffic to Beech 1900 commuter who was as FL180, opposite direction.  He wise cracks "what's a Mooney doing way up here?".  Well knowing how fast a 1900 flies (about 290 knots) and 70 knots on HIS nose (I'm doing 275 knots with tail wind), I couldn't resist.  I said " about 275 knots, how fast you going?".  Never heard another word out of him.

Love the Rocket!

Tom Sullivan

• Like 1

And this is with a head wind!

Erik,

You should post your panel picture on this website; http://groundspeedrecords.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=256&Itemid=2069

You've got the current Rocket record beat.  My best was 300 knots, twice, over 14 years.  I have a better record though, flying in the most headwind.  Came back from Florida once where I flew from the U.P. to Orlando in under 5 hours, but took almost 9 hours to get home.  Stopped for fuel in Indiana and was complaining to the line guy I was seeing 100 knot headwinds at 12K.  He said "what you complaining about, you were 10 knots faster than the TBM 700 that just stopped before you.

Tom Sullivan

• Like 1

My slow record in level flight was crossing the mountains westbound towards Knoxville at 10,000 msl. ~135 mph indicated, GPS groundspeed of 68 knots. My wife said, "good thing we aren't in a Cessna." Laughter can be good for you!

On the other end, I've only hit 200 while descending with a tail wind.

• Like 1

I was flying once from the U.P of MI to Indianapolis to pick up a customer buying a new truck (big trucks) from my dealership.  Winds were decent so I was at FL190 and the controller calls me out as traffic to Beech 1900 commuter who was as FL180, opposite direction.  He wise cracks "what's a Mooney doing way up here?".  Well knowing how fast a 1900 flies (about 290 knots) and 70 knots on HIS nose (I'm doing 275 knots with tail wind), I couldn't resist.  I said " about 275 knots, how fast you going?".  Never heard another word out of him.

Love the Rocket!

Tom Sullivan

Hi Tom,

My friend in the King Air remember who I said was on channel?  He was going in the other direction (roughly) and they were burning two thirsty PT6 engines but only making like 145kts over the ground.  I think that's on 70gph total - Ouch!

• Like 1

Erik,

You should post your panel picture on this website; http://groundspeedrecords.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=256&Itemid=2069

You've got the current Rocket record beat.  My best was 300 knots, twice, over 14 years.  I have a better record though, flying in the most headwind.  Came back from Florida once where I flew from the U.P. to Orlando in under 5 hours, but took almost 9 hours to get home.  Stopped for fuel in Indiana and was complaining to the line guy I was seeing 100 knot headwinds at 12K.  He said "what you complaining about, you were 10 knots faster than the TBM 700 that just stopped before you.

Tom Sullivan

Ooooh - I will do that tonight!

Yes - that poor TBM was probably like my KA friend - they need to fly high or their turbine engines get extra thirsty.  That day I flew with the tail wind at 17000 to enjoy the tail wind, but I returned at 10500 to try and minimize the headwind.  I had tried 8500 and the head wind was even less but it was still very bumpy.  So I think my block average round trip was close to 200kts - I need to get the calculator out my calculator and figure it.

My slow record in level flight was crossing the mountains westbound towards Knoxville at 10,000 msl. ~135 mph indicated, GPS groundspeed of 68 knots. My wife said, "good thing we aren't in a Cessna." Laughter can be good for you!

On the other end, I've only hit 200 while descending with a tail wind.

Once in a piper cub - we stopped!  A CFI/owner at he controls, on a quite windy day, and an STOL setup....In sort of an "opposite of buzzing the house" we flew from the airport to my house, which is maybe 1.5 miles, and in a massive head wind even at maybe 1500ft, there was plenty of time for me to call my wife on the phone and tell her to get outside with the kids and look for the little yellow airplane.  When we got there we slowed down a little at about 1500 ft (so no not really a buzz) and managed to bring the ground speed low enough while still flying through the air that we hovered above the house.  It was cool.

Next goal - backwards!  Someone else (another CFI) just got an all decked out high powered big wheeled cub.