Moving Along Nicely

aviatoreb

327 am I reading that right with a head wind...damn that can't be right were you in something other than a Mooney.

I was just kidding about the head wind.  It was a tail wind - but yes, that is my Mooney this morning.  AT 17000 ft.  On about 215TAS at that point just after I tipped the nose down.  I did do 315 in level flight before I tipped the nose down.  Actually there was very rough air below me so right after I took this shot, I pulled way back on the speed and used my speed breaks because I was worried about busting into some very rough air, which eventually I did.

It was a fantastic morning, with a massive tail wind up high.  I wish there was space to go even higher but it wasn't practical.  I did get up to 17000 in 12 minutes.  Who knows - at FL21 or FL23 maybe it would have topped 400mph!  327kts=376mph.  It was 45minutes to KBAF Springfield MA (I switched from KHFD pick up like I normally do since gusts getting to 30kts were 90 degrees to the runway at KHFD but straight down the runway at KBAF - I am glad I made that decision as it was quite a rock and roll ride in the pattern nonetheless.  With the speed I made I ended up waiting about 10 minutes at the FBO for grandpa to pull up with my son).

Only downside - I had to come back home from KBAF back to KPTD once I got my son.  I said as low as I could into the headwind but it was 10500 before I topped the heavy turbulence and it smoothed out.  Then I was seeing speeds of 108 to high 120s and pushing hard on 190TAS.

• Like 1

Impressive VSR!    :lol:

That's typical east coast controllers - they leave you high way longer than you want - the classic slam dunk was worse than usual since I don't think they are used to seeing a single piston going this fast.  Thank you speed breaks. 

I was supposed to go fly this morning, formation practice with Ned. Once I got to the airport, I knew conditions would be rough with the winds in the area... cancelled it all and went shopping instead. Your report Erik confirms I made the right choice.

Yves

• Like 1

Nice Erik, what were you running for MP/RPM and fuel usage ?

Hi FormationHY - In Montreal!  You can surf the same wave I surfed today.  I just checked and if you fly direct from CYCC to KPWM it will take you about 50 minutes!!! and you too will top 300kts in your rocket!  Just go high....and don't come back to Montreal today.

I'm sorry, I didn't take proper notes - I did time the climb since that was a quite time during the flight.

You can see my path and speeds on http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N10933/history/20150322/1230Z/KPTD/KBAF

During the time I was bearing 160 it was a cross tail wind.  A strong one, and so I dialed back to about 55% which I did as 29.5'' and 2250.  And it was about 14gph?  Close to that - in the frigid conditions like today, even at 17000ft I have to do some management to keep my coldest cylinder warm enough  - I target to take action to keep it above 280F - and my warmest will usually be something in the 320 to 330 range on a day like that.  SO I run pretty close to peak at lower power settings which is why you are seeing 14gph.  So even still you see GS was up around 270GS knots.  

Then I turned at VOR ALB to bearing 130 and you see the speed immediately jumps up to 315 - well that was not all increased wind component - I knew that I would be aligned with the wind so I increased power to full speed ahead Scotty Warp Factor 9.  That I take as 2400, 32'' (but it might have been 31''?  I forget - things were happening fast at this point - I was also begging ATC to let me come down so I wouldn't miss my airport!) and something about 21gph.  Its on the 830 in the picture - almost.  But I only got to be there for a minute or so since happily my request to descend was granted, so then I pulled the power way back to maybe 25?  I can't remember specifically, and leaned to keep the engine warm, popped the speed brakes and descended very rapidly trying to stay out of the yellow for anticipating big bumps, which soon enough I got to enjoy....it was a real tighten the seat belt very hard to keep your head from hitting the airplane ceiling kind of day.  

So....I think if I had let it stabilize longer, it would have maybe been a tad faster?  And I bet if I had gone higher it would have been faster.

This is the fastest I ever went in N10933 - my old record was 278GS.

I was supposed to go fly this morning, formation practice with Ned. Once I got to the airport, I knew conditions would be rough with the winds in the area... cancelled it all and went shopping instead. Your report Erik confirms I made the right choice.

Yves

Good call. Not a good day for that kind of flying, or at low altitude in the bumps.  I was only at lower altitudes in the bumps briefly today. And it was BUMPY.

Ah, I remember those days.  Now I'm regularly seeing 130 kts indicated and ground speeds as high as 140 kts in my 74 F.  On the flip side, I'm using about 25% less fuel on a given trip that takes 50% longer to accomplish.

Ah, I remember those days.  Now I'm regularly seeing 130 kts indicated and ground speeds as high as 140 kts in my 74 F.  On the flip side, I'm using about 25% less fuel on a given trip that takes 50% longer to accomplish.

Is it me, or that equation dosn't seem too advantageous, 25% less fuel but 50% more time... It's true that the Rocket is a thirsty bird, but boy it flyes like a dream, at least a dream I can afford... I would like a LearJet, Global or Challlenger ( having worked for Bombardier before ), but price wise, those are just a dream...

• Like 1

Depends.  If the cost of fuel per hour exceeds the hourly variable cost and you don't count the pilot's time as having any alternative value, it does.  Even at the current reduced cost of 100LL, the hourly fuel is greater than the hourly variable cost (say $50 vs $35/hr) but it isn't a lot.  The real savings come in fixed costs (annual, insurance, etc) and even more so since I sold my Rocket and bought a 25% share in the F.  All in all, my costs are less than half on an annual basis.  Furthermore, my current mission is too short for a Rocket.  I barely had time to get the engine set before it was time to prepare for landing and undue it all. I really felt I was doing a disservice to the airplane using it in ways not best for it.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to confirm my decision was the right decision despite the emotional angst of flying so much slower, climbing so much slower, and flying so much lower. I do miss her but I'm sure it is better for her to be flown more to her nature than mine.  Can't I be a little ambivalent about the whole thing!

Wow!  Do you fly Westbound, exclusively at high altitude?  Ground speeds as high as 140kts?  I've seen 180KTS GS in a 1100FPM climb.  I often indicate 130kts but that's typically above 8000MSL.  

I think a member just posted a pic of a C model truing at 150kts at altitude.  If your F has never broken 140Kts there is something wrong. This time of year, I can easily break 140KT GS into a 10kt headwind at 3500 feet.

I have seen >230Kts in level flight while Eastbound and over 250kts in descent. That was pre-iPad, now a screenshot is as easy as pushing 2 buttons at the same time.

post-8069-0-92011700-1427124063_thumb.jp

post-8069-0-97115100-1427124068_thumb.jp

You mean these planes fly east also.  Dang.  No wonder it always take so long to get back home.  I'm not an ambi-flyer (for those Zoolander fans out there.)

I believe a C is faster than an F (smaller airframe but smaller engine too) and most flight planning software uses 130s for flight plan at cruise.  I don't have any speed mods that I know of either.

• Like 1

This was cool.  And a part 135 King Air flying buddy who was up at the same time on the same frequency as me heard it and texted me that he heard it: Boston Center said they don't usually see "you guys up here."

And sorta the same - last Friday I was returning home from Winston-Salem for a direct nonstop 600mi trip at FL21 which I chose partly for modest tail winds, but mostly because I wanted clear view of a winter storm that was just clearing out of MD and PA.  As it turns out I topped it by 10k but the winds were good so I stayed.  Anyway as I was climbing through 17000 still with a good head of steam, and checked on with the next controller, he asked "how high can that thing go?"  I said I was cert to 24 - he said impressive.  I do sometimes get some kind of comment if I am having an especially fast day.

• Like 1

You mean these planes fly east also.  Dang.  No wonder it always take so long to get back home.  I'm not an ambi-flyer (for those Zoolander fans out there.)

I believe a C is faster than an F (smaller airframe but smaller engine too) and most flight planning software uses 130s for flight plan at cruise.  I don't have any speed mods that I know of either.

Mine is box stock with original (47 year old) paint...

http://www.mooneypilots.com/mapalog/M20F%20Evaluation/M20F_Evaluation_Report.html

http://www.mooneypilots.com/mapalog/M20C%20Evaluation/M20C_Evaluation_Report.html

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying that something seems amiss with your cruise speeds. If it works for you, leave well enough alone.

• Like 1

Ah, I remember those days. Now I'm regularly seeing 130 kts indicated and ground speeds as high as 140 kts in my 74 F. On the flip side, I'm using about 25% less fuel on a given trip that takes 50% longer to accomplish.

I have a 75F and the only way I would be flying this slow would be on purpose. Mine does have speed mods, but find it hard to believe we would be that far off.

2e3fd738f0e5d5efd66ee73c99f3ec79.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Erik, do you have portable O2 or stock with the plane ?... I have portable O2 and it's great to go up, but I'm very prudent when flying alone or just with my 9 year old son, so I don't go higher than 10 K, with pilot friends I have taken the Rocket to FL16, since I'm not IFR yet (working on it), I can't go higher than FL18 without an IFR pilot.

Looking forward coming to see you in April or May, after my interior redo is all done !!!

A friend's former F used to walk away from my C; when I flew it, even at short XC altitudes, it was 10-15 knots faster than my C. Can't compare any more, he defected to an F-33, and I've moved a couple of sectionals.

Hi Erik, do you have portable O2 or stock with the plane ?... I have portable O2 and it's great to go up, but I'm very prudent when flying alone or just with my 9 year old son, so I don't go higher than 10 K, with pilot friends I have taken the Rocket to FL16, since I'm not IFR yet (working on it), I can't go higher than FL18 without an IFR pilot.

Looking forward coming to see you in April or May, after my interior redo is all done !!!

Hi Houman,

I have a portable system - which I really like.  I don't think portable is more or less reliable than built in.  Just less volume.  But portable is easy to get refilled locally and I have more than one bottle to switch out.  I do have a second emergency bottle that I keep at my side just in case for when I get higher than I can hike - I have hiked to 14,000ft. I use cannula to 18k (oxyarm is fantastic), and a mask with built in mic higher, and the o2d2 pulse delivery system that has lots of advantages.

April - May - I'll count on it - now don't get me jealous of your new interior or it might be a very costly visit for me!

Hi Houman,

I have a portable system - which I really like.  I don't think portable is more or less reliable than built in.  Just less volume.  But portable is easy to get refilled locally and I have more than one bottle to switch out.  I do have a second emergency bottle that I keep at my side just in case for when I get higher than I can hike - I have hiked to 14,000ft. I use cannula to 18k (oxyarm is fantastic), and a mask with built in mic higher, and the o2d2 pulse delivery system that has lots of advantages.

April - May - I'll count on it - now don't get me jealous of your new interior or it might be a very costly visit for me!

I also have a normal portable tank and an emergency tank with 2 masks and no valve opening, just a pin that you pull and max o2 flows out, lasts about 15 minutes to get down.

I'm having the interior done in Mid April, so for sure I will come show it off to you, I'm jelous of your EDM, so we can each appreciate the other's M20K Rocket.

I also have a normal portable tank and an emergency tank with 2 masks and no valve opening, just a pin that you pull and max o2 flows out, lasts about 15 minutes to get down.

I'm having the interior done in Mid April, so for sure I will come show it off to you, I'm jelous of your EDM, so we can each appreciate the other's M20K Rocket.

I think we are due for a St-Lawrence river area get together. I want to meet you both whenever possible. Too bad the Mohawks don't have an airport in between the two jurisdictions. Wherever we do this, some will have to cross the border and deal with the

pitfalls.

Yves

I think we are due for a St-Lawrence river area get together. I want to meet you both whenever possible. Too bad the Mohawks don't have an airport in between the two jurisdictions. Wherever we do this, some will have to cross the border and deal with the

pitfalls.

Yves

Hey Yves, and Houman.  That would be fantasitc!  HERE is an idea just for brain storming.

Let's do it!  Here's an idea - THIS Sunday I am due to pick up a friend coming in from Oregon, arriving in Burlington VT - at around 4 - as I always say - weather permitting but current forecast is good, knock on wood.  If you guys care to come to BTV at lunch time it could be a good spot since, a) BTV is a port of entry with a station right there on the field to check in. B) great town to have lunch, c) Houman I know your plane is in for upgrades, and BTV is not at all far from Montreal to drive if Yves can't pick you up.  Just an idea, otherwise we can think of something else soon.

>I'm having the interior done in Mid April, so for sure I will come show it off to you, I'm jelous of your EDM, so we can each appreciate the other's M20K Rocket.

I just got the EDM830 done at the beginning of Jan - loving it!