IPad Mini

I would really like to hear from new mini iPad owners how well they can read plates in flight on it. I am thinking of getting an iPAD (my first) and if the plates can be read OK, it will be the mini.

Yves

C-FQKM

Yves:

My iPad 2 is very readable in the cockpit. I use the AvPad 2 as its kneeboard mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

That was quick! Nice pic! The mini looks to be the perfect size (that's what she said . . .?)

I have not looked into it yet but do you think there will be or is there a mount where you can swivel the pad vertical for plates/charts and leave it horizontal for other portions of the flight so that you do not block the instrument panel as much?

-Seth

I'm sure there eventually will be a mount for the mini that swivels. The mount shown in the picture is the only iPad mini mount I could find at the moment. I played with the orientation and I think I like it as shown in the picture best. From the pilots eye level it does not obscure any instruments including my second attitude indicator on the lower right side. If I locate it directly in the center of the yoke it has to clear the clock and it sits higher and it does obstruct some of the switches along the bottom ( if you are taller than 5'10 you may be ok). Anyway, I'm still playing with and will try it like this for a while. I do love the mini, and it works much better than regular sized iPad in the cockpit simply because it is the ideal size

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

I only update the DB once a year for my 560 and 530. As a pilot you can validate expired data on your navigator the same way it was done 30 years ago on the Delco Carousel http://www.simufly.com/ins/images.html which don't even has a data base. 90% of my flights are the same routes already programmed on the GPS and the data never changes. You can get current approach charts from different websites (airnav) for free and use them to validate the data on your GPS. In the early days of onboard databases in navigators (FMS/INS/Omega/Loran) it was required to validate the data since there was no internet for data updates.

José

30 years ago! I flew a Carousel INS across the Atlantic last month!

I am waiting for this RAM mount to be ready: http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-apple-ipad-mini-clamp-mount-ram-b-121-ap12u.html

Then I will likely pull the trigger on a mini. All of the RAM mounts have a ball joint behind the mounting plate so you can swivel it with a little labor.

For those that have an iPad mini, have you tried it with polarized sunglasses? If so, can you read it in both portrait and landscape?

Thanks,

Dave

I don't think I have ever seen an LCD screen that did not "black out" or dim out severly when turned against its display lines with polarized sunglasses. My Aspens, LCD AI and EDM930 engine computer all do this as well if I tilt my head. Samsung S3 phone and my iPad do as well.

From one of the flying mags....

Apple “turned out a fantastically light and usable device,” said Hilton Goldstein, founder of Hilton Software, the company that developed the WingX Pro 7 app. “I might be going out on a limb here, but I believe iPad mini will be more popular than iPad.”

ForeFlight Mobile blogged about the mini during a test flight: “One-handed operation is great for reading, briefing approach plates and even panning sectional charts with one thumb. Also, yoke mounting is now a pleasure.”

Ever notice how you can believe an old annoying wart is gone forever, but it then comes back :rolleyes:

I saw my first mini iPad this weekend, and it was mounted on Hector's M20C yoke. Both his, new to him, Mooney and the iPad looked fantastic, and he said the iPad performance and clarity were first class.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to an apple store and looked at the mini. I'm sold!

They resolved the conflict with polarized sunglasses and its tons faster than my iPad 1. It looks like they also set the brightness slider to a potentially much dimmer setting.

I just need to find a mount that won't block my view of the panel or bang me in the knees all the time.

I'll post a prep and pictures after I get it set up.

Dave

Dave,

I was at the iPad store the other day. The place was so full of people I couldn't find the mini...

I'll wait for your pictures... Steve Jobs did very well....

-a-

Actually Steve Jobs was very opposed to the concept of a small or mini iPad (view

) . The only reason we have this form factor is that he is gone.

It appears that the large black rim is what is mostly missing?

Ipad I like the large screen. The large black edges don't help any. I get a complete view of everything I need to know about IFR procedures.

iphone I like the small screen. It fits in my pocket. And is a natural back-up to the iPad without additional cost(subscription).

WingX and MooneySpace on all of your devices...

Now how many GPSs do we have in a Mooney at one time?

Can we get WingX on an Aspen?

The prices are fair enough that having two devices is not outrageous...

Indeed, we live in interesting times!

Best regards,

-a-

I hope to get a mini tomorrow (stock permitting) and the mount on Saturday so I can post my findings and pictures over the weekend.

But here's are a couple of reviews by John Ewing (aviationmentor.com) on the iPad Mini:

http://aviationmento...mpressions.html

http://aviationmento...kes-flight.html

Be sure to click on the pictures for larger versions.

I'll get my iPad mini tomorrow and the mount on Tuesday. I should post a review/pics on Wednesday.

I hope to get a mini tomorrow (stock permitting) and the mount on Saturday so I can post my findings and pictures over the weekend.

But here's are a couple of reviews by John Ewing (aviationmentor.com) on the iPad Mini:

http://aviationmento...mpressions.html

http://aviationmento...kes-flight.html

Be sure to click on the pictures for larger versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone run Foreflight approach charts on a Mini yet.

I have an IPad 3 used (almost) exclusively for approach charts.

I am not thrilled with the large size of the IP3, but I am very happy that it shows the chart in virtually the same size (and readability) as the paper chart.

If anyone has viewed these on a Mini, what do you think of the ability to read the various parts of the chart.

I really do not want to have to shift a chart around to be able to read it.

If you think it is readily readable, what is your thought about how they will work for those of us with older eyes.