Oxygen for small animals in flight?

Just when you thought everything had been asked before! 

Has anyone come across an existing solution, or built one, for transporting small animals (e.g. rats in this case) with supplemental oxygen? 

I would think some kind of simple oxygen tent would be feasible, but unsure if any appropriate turn-key solutions exist and how to approach the flow rate and concentration question (if trying to do with any precision). Sticking a regular cannula into a small pet tent seems reasonable, but with such small animals I am doubtful of getting SaO2 data and so it would be pretty empiric. 
Any tent would probably help with noise and stress, too. Oddly, there are tents for "oxygen therapy" out there. 

Any thoughts appreciated. 
David

• Like 1

The idea of a big plastic bag of O2 in my backseat would be a bit concerning.  

Do you really need to fly at FL240 with pets?

FL240? LOL, I'm not in any hurry to go there myself without backup O2 and some continuous monitoring. 

The area to get there and back requires above 13k or 15k along some segments IFR. I feel things these days above 10-12K, so being conservative re: animals. Alternative, with good weather, is "IFR" (I Follow Roads) to stay lower. 

Just found out the problem is going to be sidestepped by my wife with a road trip... At some point I will probably have to get a dog mask, though, but that's a more common problem. :)

I am on my third dog flying high and none have had any issue whatsoever, even with near a couple hours at 16.5K but mostly around 14K. If you have a breed that has a challenging time breathing, like a pug, go see your vet for proper advice.
But 2 labs and now a terrier it’s been a non issue.
Cabin noise is the greater concern imo. Mutt muffs have worked there; especially for my smarter terrier, the labs not as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Research shows that dogs start to desaturate at 8,000 ft. There is a company that makes an oxygen hood for animals - 4 Paws Aviation.

Might be worth checking out.

Another option is to do what we veterinarians do in a pinch: Fit an E-Collar which is longer that the muzzle of the animal, cover the open end with Saran Wrap and tape it around the outside edges, make a hole in the E-collar near the wide end, and put an O2 tube through it and tape in place. Close to the smaller end place some holes around the circumference for gases to escape. The flow rate is good at 1-2 liters/minute and will constantly flush the setup so the CO2 escapes along with the excess O2.

Fussy dogs might have to have some practice training to get used to the E-collar.

Jeff

I read once in Flying magazine about a guy that made an oxygen mask for his dog from a Tupperware tumbler. His dog didn’t mind wearing it at all. It was made from a leather muzzle and the plastic glass.

If I wanted to carry small animals, I would make a box with a small leak and hook a constant flow oxygen line to it.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:37 PM, Shadrach said:

I always make oxygen available but Simon won’t wear a cannula. He’s pretty adamant that we cruise at or below 6000. gallery_8069_14079_32956.jpg

I like the way he keeps his head outside of the cockpit in VFR conditions  - he is no child of the magenta line. How is he at holding altitude and heading?

When filing a flight plan for you  and him, under "Number of souls on board", do you list 2 or 10 (1 for you, 9 for him . .   or maybe he's already used up some of them)?

Can he do a CAT III approach (paws off) ?

Have you customized his Emergency Checklist to include a section on "Furballs in Flight"?

While instructing him, does he respond well to encouragement? ("That was a purr-fect landing")

Does he seem overly concerned when you bring up the possibility of a bad flare leading to a tailstrike during landing?

Have you reminded him - no catnip eight hours before a flight?

Just in case you need to give him his FAA approved medication before flying:      https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/20anlzbviy0hwl8a65l5z/HOW-TO-GIVE-YOUR-CAT-A-PILL.doc?rlkey=9j6xo38asoonzmoyk9kdtdqle&dl=0

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

52 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I like the way he keeps his head outside of the cockpit in VFR conditions  - he is no child of the magenta line. How is he at holding altitude and heading?

When filing a flight plan for you  and him, under number of souls on board, do you list 2 or 10 (1 for you, 9 for him)?

Definitely has his head on a swivel. He’s good with pitch but requires intervention when bank angles exceed about 5°.  

12 hours ago, Falcon Man said:

company that makes an oxygen hood for animals - 4 Paws Aviation.

I like the idea, but I wonder what the likelihood is that the dog will tolerate it.  Also, I wonder if there is any way to determine the serum O2 saturation of a dog?

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

I wonder if there is any way to determine the serum O2 saturation of a dog?

If he's awake and alert, he's fine. My dog is usually asleep on initial climb.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Definitely has his head on a swivel. He’s good with pitch but requires intervention when bank angles exceed about 5°.  

This probably seems catawampus to him.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I always make oxygen available but Simon won’t wear a cannula. He’s pretty adamant that we cruise at or below 6000.

I think you have plenty of jokes there:

- Cat3 approche? 

- NVG vision for night operations? 

- Backup gyro that works for upset recovery (they always land on their legs) 

:lol:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ibra said:

I think you have plenty of jokes there:

- Cat3 approche? 

- NVG vision for night operations? 

- Backup gyro that works for upset recovery (they always land on their legs) 

:lol:

It’s a gift that keeps on giving. It’s an old pic but Simon is still with us. He’s now fine with hanging out in his carrier. When he was young, his preferred spot  was what you see in the pic. The “three toed sloth” grip on the yoke is just weird but he’s done it several times.

• Like 1

I’ve thought about taking Elijah in the Mooney, but not sure I have the useful load . .lol.   At least he wouldn't have any trouble sitting up in the seat though.

He snores pretty badly, might need a CPAP rather than an O2 mask . . lol

808050492290b5c7bcf038f374511552.jpg

6677f685c026e075cec27f280f5431bc.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I’ve thought about taking Elijah in the Mooney, but not sure I have the useful load . .lol.   At least he wouldn't have any trouble sitting up in the seat though.

He snores pretty badly, might need a CPAP rather than an O2 mask . . lol

808050492290b5c7bcf038f374511552.jpg

6677f685c026e075cec27f280f5431bc.jpg

Handsome fella!

We’re about to fly from AZ to MN with a cat. I’m more concerned about the noise level than anything. 

Sadly the turbo will be pretty useless for us this trip. Staying below 10000.