Best cordless vaccuum to clean your interior?

I have a Dyson but the battery life leaves a lot to be desired. I gave up on cordless for any serious work and installed canister vacs in my hangar, garage, basement and potting shed. Hoover GUV was my choice but it is currently backordered. 35’ of hose and a remote power switch zip tied to the hose handle means I can reach any part of the hangar and then some and I don’t have to run back to the wall to turn it on and off.

IMG_0106.jpeg.fc417347d0a9e7920691b2b2b11fd282.jpeg

IMG_0107.jpeg.5dc0ca196db3123243724a05b42f458e.jpeg

• Like 1

The Ridgid cordless one (rectangular that used the tool batteries) was very good, but had been discontinued a few years ago. So if found used… would be great for a plane. 

Hoping for similar, I bought the Makita but was disappointed.

Haven’t tried the Milwaukee but similar idea overall. 

really good technical question!!!

Bringing electric motors inside the cabin is my favorite way to magnetize my steel tube frame….

Nothing like being the king of degaussers… without a magnetic compass that won’t work…

now the question is….  How small of a motor can I get away with…

or which vac is fully shrouded from mag waves…?

leave the vAc outside, bring in the long hose….

:)

PP thoughts only, degaussing properly is a big pain…

best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

So what vacuum do you use?  (and I don't mean the one to power your instruments :P)

Bruce

All my battery powered tools are Makita, so I bought a Makita vac, but I can't recommend it -- lots of noise, but not much suck.  At some point, I'll do what @Shadrach did.  I just noticed that @dkkim73 also had bad luck with the Makita.

6 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

There is a big Ryobi factory about 5 miles from my house.

I have nothing against Ryobi tools personally, I just noticed that they are the brunt of a lot of social media jokes. Those memes were easy to find.

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I have nothing against Ryobi tools personally, I just noticed that they are the brunt of a lot of social media jokes. Those memes were easy to find.

Ryobi tools have improved over the years.  I would rate them as a second tier tool company now.   I like that they have a wide variety of cordless tools that are affordable and so far have been long lasting.  The ones I use most are the hand vac and the handheld tire inflator.  I also use their cordless grinder, impact drill and flood light.   

While I use my Rigid tools for most of my work I would say Ryobi products are perfectly fine if you aren’t abusing them every day to put bread on the table. 

So as you could imagine I use the Ryobi hand vac for vacuuming out the plane.  Less frequently I have a small spot shampooer that I’ll use to give the carpets a more thorough cleaning.  I shampoo maybe every year or two. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shadrach said:

And for under $200…. My plug in, 6.5hp, 18gal shop vac is over $300 now.

I was, apparently, too obtuse.

1 horsepower = 746 Watts, thus 7 hp = 5,222 Watts, at 120V that would be over 43 Amps!!!  With a 28V battery pack (cordless) that would be 186 Amps:o  That 'free' 18Ah, 4A battery pack is going to come up a wee bit short:D

I don't know what kind of marketing BS these vacuum manufacturers are engaging in, but they've got a pretty "non-standard" definition of horsepower, to say the least!!

2 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

I was, apparently, too obtuse.

1 horsepower = 746 Watts, thus 7 hp = 5,222 Watts, at 120V that would be over 43 Amps!!!  With a 28V battery pack (cordless) that would be 186 Amps:o  That 'free' 18Ah, 4A battery pack is going to come up a wee bit short:D

I don't know what kind of marketing BS these vacuum manufacturers are engaging in, but they've got a pretty "non-standard" definition of horsepower, to say the least!!

So, that's horse suction power. They trained a horse to suck and measured its suction power. That vacuum sucks as much as 7 horses.

• Haha 3

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

So, that's horse suction power. They trained a horse to suck and measured its suction power. That vacuum sucks as much as 7 horses.

You owe me a keyboard and fresh cup of coffee:D

• Like 1