Today’s Flight - 2024

6 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Over Lake Pend Oreille in Northern Idaho at 12,500.  Going nowhere and loving it in a beautiful day!

IMG_7064.jpeg.0e0255b48343063eeec0ef7d88c96ec3.jpegIMG_7066.jpeg.6f5466fe880ffbc4c7c7b7f695891688.jpeg

Nice panel.  Rubbing salt in the wound?  My instrument panel is blown apart again; replacing a DG that never worked right when first overhauled.   Sigh…. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

Nice panel.  Rubbing salt in the wound?  My instrument panel is blown apart again; replacing a DG that never worked right when first overhauled.   Sigh…. 

Thanks. I got lucky that the previous owner, 10 years ago now, had done the jpi-930, stec autopilot, radios and had a nice panel made.  I was able to piecemeal in the gtx-345 and G5s without breaking the bank.  It works great!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amillet said:

My favorite Mooney photo all time.  I look forward to someone beating "it". :)
I nominate

(photo removed to save space)

As the lead and photo ship in this formation, I have to second that nomination...

• Like 2

We went down to Spain to chill and eat some paella

69B2DBAA-582F-460E-9246-508CB68A574E.jpeg

Found it, it’s the new clouds factory over the Loire river !

70A3D06D-93CC-4073-B2B2-94344D293885.jpeg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Today I took two of my sisters to Arlington (KAWO) and met my other sister and niece to walk the airport trail. Beautiful Pacific Northwest spring day 

IMG_0030.png

20240317_121428.jpeg

IMG_4315.jpeg

20240317_110002.jpeg

IMG_4319.png

• Like 2

On an IFR flight plan today to Arkansas to scope out possible eclipse viewing sites, I got cleared through the MEM class-B.   Took this photo of a FedEx heavy on approach just to capture the moment.  I think I found a good small airport to view the eclipse if the wx gods approve.

thru_MEM_bravo.jpg

• Like 2

Flew Rouen (LFOP), France to OldWarden (EGTH), UK for the Easter Bunny Flying and visit the museum collection

Propper British grass root flying: soggy, wet, grey with greasy food…the Mooney hates it, the kids love it :lol:

1B7CA2B0-2F8F-45C4-8B4C-8CF9B124ABF4.jpeg

20FA792F-3EBB-4826-90B4-30EA1FB6AE3B.jpeg

2030A80B-D753-43E7-9CCA-6C6B385FFACA.jpeg

72D8E90A-52CE-4AA1-B9CE-04927921AAAF.jpeg

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

You guys do enjoy picking on the British

Not as much as Americans, here is a 5 seconds summary :lol:

Cousin Avi (Snatch film, Guy Ritchie)

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/23/2024 at 8:25 PM, 0TreeLemur said:

On an IFR flight plan today to Arkansas to scope out possible eclipse viewing sites, I got cleared through the MEM class-B.   Took this photo of a FedEx heavy on approach just to capture the moment.  I think I found a good small airport to view the eclipse if the wx gods approve.

Which airport did you pick?  I'm targeting the northern Arkansas or Southeastern Missouri area myself.  Of course, that's all dependent upon the unpredictable weather forecasts we've been getting.

26 minutes ago, Ibra said:

Not as much as Americans, here is a 5 seconds summary :lol:

Cousin Avi (Snatch film, Guy Ritchie)

I miss Dennis Farina…Not because he was a great character actor, but more because he was such a great personality that he was able to make an acting career out of just playing himself.

• Like 1

Today flying from Eastern Maryland back to Alabama, I was forced by icing to take a more southerly route.  Took this photo looking south-southeast towards the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.  The Patuxent NAS is lower right.   Horrible turbulence and headwinds all they way to the GA-AL border after which things smoothed out a bit.  The shocker of the day happened when CLT approach allowed me to fly over the field at 5,000.

IMG_5304.JPEG

IMG_5326.JPEG

• Like 4

On 3/7/2024 at 5:02 PM, Ragsf15e said:

Over Lake Pend Oreille in Northern Idaho at 12,500.  Going nowhere and loving it on a beautiful day!

IMG_7064.jpeg.0e0255b48343063eeec0ef7d88c96ec3.jpeg

@Ragsf15e  Do you know who did the leather-wrapping on your yoke? It's the best quality I've seen on the older style yoke, especially at the PTT & the cover plate around the clock. I'm debating whether to just repaint mine versus splurging $1750 for leather. The repaint option keeps winning the debate. The price difference is substantial and could buy a lot of gas instead.

28 minutes ago, C.J. said:

@Ragsf15e  Do you know who did the leather-wrapping on your yoke? It's the best quality I've seen on the older style yoke, especially at the PTT & the cover plate around the clock. I'm debating whether to just repaint mine versus splurging $1750 for leather. The repaint option keeps winning the debate. The price difference is substantial and could buy a lot of gas instead.

Thanks! Unfortunately, no. I’ve been asked that before, but they were done ~11 years ago by the previous owner and the log entry doesn’t give specifics. They have held up well!

• Thanks 1

The gathering on April 8 for eclipse viewing at 42A (Melbourne, Arkansas).   The crew of that large grey military airplane (single engine turboprop) landed just before the totality started.   They landed long and filled the air with tire smoke as the pilot slammed on the brakes with the end of the runway rushing towards him.  I've never before seen an airplane fishtail like that!

There were four Mooneys in attendance, including @Pasturepilot and family!

P1140937.jpg

• Like 4

Posting a little late, but here’s a little write up from the trip to Arkansas to meet up with @0TreeLemur to watch the eclipse… 

https://wordsaloft.substack.com/p/flying-far-for-four-magical-minutes

Hats off to Fred for picking the winning destination. Clear skies, ramp space, and a fresh grilled lunch courtesy of the local maintenance shop. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My friend went to Saint Genevieve MO to watch the eclipse. He made a video from his GoPro on a tripod that gives a great view of it coming and going. He edited it so it is high speed leading up to totality, then normal speed for the totality and then fast speed till it was gone. It is spectacular. You can clearly see the spot of totality moving across the earth with daylight at the horizons.  

Can we call it a convention?!  There were more Mooneys in this “Cirrus Service Center” than Cirri today.  One for annual and mine for an owner assisted oil change and minor fuel seep (top screw on wing walk).

IMG_7189.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Can we call it a convention?!  There were more Mooneys in this “Cirrus Service Center” than Cirri today.  One for annual and mine for an owner assisted oil change and minor fuel seep (top screw on wing walk).

IMG_7189.jpeg

Your airplane looks great!

It's always a bit annoying to those of us who don't keep them that clean...  ;)

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Your airplane looks great!

It's always a bit annoying to those of us who don't keep them that clean...  ;)

Thanks!  I do try to keep it clean.  Washing and waxing it is therapeutic for me, but the real secret is Oct-Apr is no bug season up here!  I’m lucky to find one or two to clean after a long flight during the winter!

• Like 1