Adult diaper

NewMoon

To pee or not to pee.  That is the question.  Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.........................:lol:

Should we stop or shouldn't we stop?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no............it all Depends [LOL] !

It's great to have several choices [diapers heavily discouraged though :(].

What a fun thread this is. :D  Where the heck is Piloto??   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dzeleski said:

We use these: https://www.amazon.com/Travel-John-Resealable-Disposable-Urinal/dp/B07Y5QSXQZ

Whether or not its acceptable for her I have no idea but my other half uses these without any problems. I limit my legs to 3-4 hours as I personally like to see 2 hours of fuel left in the tanks after landing.

Thx, that is what I was assuming I would here from a few.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

To pee or not to pee.  That is the question.  Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.........................:lol:

Should we stop or shouldn't we stop?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no............it all Depends [LOL] !

It's great to have several choices [diapers heavily discouraged though :(].

What a fun thread this is. :D  Where the heck is Piloto??   

Installing a new p tube 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dzeleski said:

We use these: https://www.amazon.com/Travel-John-Resealable-Disposable-Urinal/dp/B07Y5QSXQZ

Whether or not its acceptable for her I have no idea but my other half uses these without any problems. I limit my legs to 3-4 hours as I personally like to see 2 hours of fuel left in the tanks after landing.

+1 for Travel John

You need to urinate at least every 3-4 hours. Otherwise you are putting yourself in a condition of dehydration. It seems like a little thing but when I was flying international, in particular on missions over 8 hours I noticed a huge spike in "medicals". People passing out etc. I did a little experiment where I asked the flight attendants to make extra efforts at hydration, and my "medicals" dropped to near zero. I also noticed a drop in "the crazies". People making absurd requests or demands." Dehydration is pretty insidious and has profound effects upon your ability to operate as a pilot, especially in terms of thinking and decision making. Personally I am like Don Kaye and land about every 3-4 hours because, I keep hydrated.

21 hours ago, dzeleski said:

I read somewhere for females, it works best for them to turn facing baackwards and kneel on the seat.  I would probably put a towel down to catch any thing that misses.

Current adult diapers have a permeable lining that keeps the moisture away from the skin.  Just like modern baby diapers.  I recently had some issues that had me needing help and I fouind the LivDry brand on Amazon.  They worked well for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

I read somewhere for females, it works best for them to turn facing baackwards and kneel on the seat.  I would probably put a towel down to catch any thing that misses.

Current adult diapers have a permeable lining that keeps the moisture away from the skin.  Just like modern baby diapers.  I recently had some issues that had me needing help and I fouind the LivDry brand on Amazon.  They worked well for me.

She just slides the seat all the way back and then slides forward on the seat. Its similar to just sitting on the toilet.

There is a 0% chance diapers are ever an option lol

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bcg said:

3.5  - 4 hours is about as long as I can physically stand to be in the plane, which works well with the 5.5 hour fuel endurance of my C.  That seems to be a sweet spot for bathroom breaks for me as well.  I'm with you though, it's a lot more pleasant if we just land, stretch our legs, get some fuel and use a flushing toilet.

I’ve honestly done 12+ hours, carried gatoraid to stay hydrated and you peed in the empties, and you ate beef jerky, because peeing isn’t difficult but the other sure is, especially in a single seat crop duster without an autopilot.

I can’t imagine a diaper, it just can’t get that bad surely? Cave diving we wore a condom cath with a tube connected to the outside of the dry suit. Now that I’m older and get up many times to pee in the night I keep threatening the Wife that I’m going to do the cath thing with the tube connected to a bag, she’s not amused.

I don’t see the issue though.

I know better than to even suggest anything but landing to let her pee

19 minutes ago, hubcap said:

I have a friend who was a fighter pilot (F-18’s) who told me they wore “adult Depends” on long overseas flights.

They might have, the Army we had bags “piddle pacs” in our survival vest, inside of it was a sponge like thing that absorbed the liquid and made it un-spliiable.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the diapers weren’t due to having female pilots

Found this

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-pilots-skydrate-piddle-packs/

In the A-10 we had the piddle packs.  Early ones had a sponge, later ones had the material that makes a gel.  The commercial Travel John ones use the gelling material.

Be careful using sport's drinks for hydration in non-sports use.  They have a lot of sugar (energy for sports) and VERY high electrolyte levels.  So high, that the body actually takes water from the body to dilute them before absorbing them, making you more dehydrated for a period of time.   I did some training for the local SCCA region workers on heat stress because they dropped 9 workers in one season.  Eight of the 9 went down within 45 minutes of drinking a sports drink.  We got them off the sports drinks and did not drop anyone for the next 10 years (last I checked).

For most times, for hydration, drink WATER.  That is all you need.  Especially in most flying where you are not sweating.  IF you feel you need more, I personally use Sqwincher QuikStiks.  I get them from Amazon.  One packet to one bottle of water.  No sugar, lower sodium, higher potassion, reasonable electrolyte levels.  One or two per DAY is plenty.

They come in a lot of flavors.  Lemon-LIme is my favorite followed by Citrus Cooler.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinecone said:

In the A-10 we had the piddle packs.  Early ones had a sponge, later ones had the material that makes a gel.  The commercial Travel John ones use the gelling material.

Be careful using sport's drinks for hydration in non-sports use.  They have a lot of sugar (energy for sports) and VERY high electrolyte levels.  So high, that the body actually takes water from the body to dilute them before absorbing them, making you more dehydrated for a period of time.   I did some training for the local SCCA region workers on heat stress because they dropped 9 workers in one season.  Eight of the 9 went down within 45 minutes of drinking a sports drink.  We got them off the sports drinks and did not drop anyone for the next 10 years (last I checked).

For most times, for hydration, drink WATER.  That is all you need.  Especially in most flying where you are not sweating.  IF you feel you need more, I personally use Sqwincher QuikStiks.  I get them from Amazon.  One packet to one bottle of water.  No sugar, lower sodium, higher potassion, reasonable electrolyte levels.  One or two per DAY is plenty.

They come in a lot of flavors.  Lemon-LIme is my favorite followed by Citrus Cooler.

Sucralose :(

So if I had to wear an adult diaper to save 30 minutes of travel time I am almost 100% certain I would spend and equal amount of time showering and possibly changing after landing… double that time for the wife and daughters!  
luckily my useful load has some amazing relationship between allowable fuel and number of passengers on board.  So I don’t get the opportunity to test any of their biological limits.

• Like 1

The guys that used to ferry DA42’s across the North Atlantic for us did have Depends on inside their Gumby survival suits.  The legs on that route aren’t especially long, and they told me that they rarely had to “let it go.” But when they did, overcoming 20+ years of conditioning not to pee in one’s pants was really, really difficult to do.  

often, just having an outlet, so to speak, is sufficient to reduce the anxiety of having a #1 emergency. The PC12 is much more successful as a for-hire aircraft than is the TBM for a lot of reasons, but one that is a show-stopper for many is no potty in the TBM (except the Lego/Transformers contraption that is a never-ordered option on the TBM.  Yet I’m told by operators that the PC12 potty is seldom used.  Just knowing it’s there is enough.  Absorbent undies are probably the same, if one can socialize their use with S/HWMBO.

This entire post is based on hearsay :-)

-dan

On 9/14/2023 at 12:07 PM, NewMoon said:

Thx, that is what I was assuming I would here from a few.

Since you moved from a pressurized Meridian to an Acclaim, I assume that you were hoping to still take advantage of the speed in the flight levels in addition to your desire for long legs between stops.  Have you mentioned to your wife that she may performing these proposed gymnastics (climbing over seat into back, kneeling, straddling, and climbing back in front) while potentially needing to have an oxygen mask on?

I keep the traveljohn on board, but my wife has never used them.  So far it has not been a problem, but she plans ahead and limits her fluids.  I try to plan my flights strategically (like we all do) with stops for cheap fuel and ideally on field restaurant option.  This thread makes me think I don;t need the gallon option for fuel bladders for my 1974 C model.

16 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

George Braly of GAMI figured out a routine that allowed long legs without having to pee.

It had to do with limiting liquids before take off.  Salty snacks and small sips of water over time.

Sounds like lean of peak operation.

My wife and I spent a lot of time thinking about this and had occasions where things got desperate after even 45 mins!  Our solution is a stainless steel bed pan.  You can place a plastic bag liner with an absorbent gel pad to take care of the liquid and odor.  It works in the front or back seat.  We use a towel for privacy and works even if there are unspeakable circumstances. :o.  The gel can be placed in a zip lock bag and even tied off in the original plastic bag and dropped in the trash at your destination.  This works for multiple passengers as well.  The males can always use a Gatorade or LittleJohn but the ladies need to be in a "normal" position and the bed pan makes that less of a gymnastic endeavor.  They are inexpensive and light.  :)  

7 hours ago, Bike_rider said:

Our solution is a stainless steel bed pan. …  It works in the front or back seat. … This works for multiple passengers as well. …the ladies need to be in a "normal" position and the bed pan makes that less of a gymnastic endeavor.  

This works for multiple passengers as well.

Flying with friends must be a real scream in your plane…”Can someone pass the bedpan to the backseat?” …. “Thanks for warming it up for me!”  ….

• Like 1