Pulling by the Prop

201er

Again, have any of these  produced any evidence that moving a Mooney M20 by the prop caused ONE SINGLE PROBLEM INN 56 YEARS, or do I just still smell manure.  Given millions of M20 flight hours, I think "Res Ipsa Loquitor" applies here.  So, recap, can anyone find data?

edit

Quote: jetdriven

Again, have any of these  produced any evidence that moving a Mooney M20 by the prop caused ONE SINGLE PROBLEM INN 56 YEARS, or do I just still smell manure.  Given millions of M20 flight hours, I think "Res Ipsa Loquitor" applies here.  So, recap, can anyone find data?

edit

Nobody can produce any data  or a single incident showing that pulling your plane out of its spot by the prop is bad, but "it says right here" from some obscure document with no suporting data. Plenty of noise, but as they say "show me the data".

Your POH says to increase mixture to FULL RICH before making any power change, and cruising with a CHT at 465 dF is "normal".

The rest of us will continue with established practice as is has been working since the wright brothers.

Quote: DaV8or

Great link. Thanks for sharing. Everybody should check this thing out. Lots of good info with pictures and diagrams. It should be noted for this discussion that the FAA too says not to push or pull the aircraft by the propeller. It does not however state a reason why, nor does it include any detailed physics annalysis. My personal opinion (and it is just my opinion, no physics degree or laboratory testing) is that moving the plane by the ends of the blades, or by the spinner is bad for the prop. Rather than get into potential liability issue by illustrating where it is and isn't OK to push/pull, they just say hands off altogether. In addition, there is also the potential for inadvertant engine start, so again, just easier to say hands off.

However, having said all that, I completely understand the position of following the propeller manufacturer's, FAA and AOPA's advice. Not pushing and pulling on the prop can't hurt the prop in any way. Pushing and pulling on the cowling...? Me not so much. For myself, I will continue when not using my power tug, to push/pull with one hand on the tow bar and the other on the prop root. It's a risk and I accept it.