Pulling by the Prop

201er

When ground handling your Mooney do you push/pull on the propeller?

I know in other planes I was able to move them entirely by the tow bar. But at 2000lbs and not a locking tow bar design, that's not really possible. I normally have my right hand on the tow bar and use left hand to push or pull on the prop (nearest spinner) to aid myself. I can move my plane solo using this method forward or back.

After almost getting run over by said 2,000 pound airplane when the regular towbar slipped out, I decided to spring for a locking towbar (I could have made it if I had time...).  I ended up getting a Bogart Bogi-Bar from Aircraft Spruce.  It's on the expensive side, but I've never been a fan of pulling/pushing on the prop and this allows me to use both hands for pushing or pulling without fear of the bar slipping out and becoming road kill....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/bogibars2.php

Brian

• Like 1

A lot of people do it because it is convenient and are too lazy to move an airplane properly. Doesn't make it right and will cause damage. McCauley advice is very clear. Have you ever challenged him on it or just accepted it as "right" because, after all, he must know Mooney's!? I'm sure he'll be more than happy to service your prop too!

I'll tell you one thing, if I saw a mechanic, a MSC of all places, pulling by the prop to move an airplane I'm out of there. Running not walking! In my opinion this shows gross negligence, lack of understanding and disrespect. I want no part of such "expert" service! 

Quote: 201er

When ground handling your Mooney do you push/pull on the propeller?

I know in other planes I was able to move them entirely by the tow bar. But at 2000lbs and not a locking tow bar design, that's not really possible. I normally have my right hand on the tow bar and use left hand to push or pull on the prop (nearest spinner) to aid myself. I can move my plane solo using this method forward or back.

Quote: flight2000

After almost getting run over by said 2,000 pound airplane when the regular towbar slipped out, I decided to spring for a locking towbar (I could have made it if I had time...).  I ended up getting a Bogart Bogi-Bar from Aircraft Spruce.  It's on the expensive side, but I've never been a fan of pulling/pushing on the prop and this allows me to use both hands for pushing or pulling without fear of the bar slipping out and becoming road kill....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/bogibars2.php

Brian

So lets see.  The motor is connected to the frame; the prop is connected to the motor.  Your hand connected to the prop to pull or push gently on the ground. 

Oh sure your huge-ness can do damage to the whole assembly by pulling on the prop, but no damage happens when the prop is pulling at throttle up on the runway or in descent holding you and the whole assembly back.  Seriously?  Give me a break.

Think about it people.  The critical components are called thrust bearings.  You arent going to damage diddly by pushing and pulling with your fat as..es... errrrr  I mean weight.   Its not tin foil they are made of.  You can't generate enough thrust to even rouse their knowledge of your existence.

Oh and do not forget the P factor we all learned so well during our flight training.  I think the biggest concern is if you try to push on the tips of the prop and causing deflection of the blade.  There is not problem pushing at the base of the blade.  During flight the blades thrust is generated over the length of the blade not just at the tip.

Quote: maniago

So lets see.  The motor is connected to the frame; the prop is connected to the motor.  Your hand connected to the prop to pull or push gently on the ground. 

Oh sure your huge-ness can do damage to the whole assembly by pulling on the prop, but no damage happens when the prop is pulling at throttle up on the runway or in descent holding you and the whole assembly back.  Seriously?  Give me a break.

Think about it people.  The critical components are called thrust bearings.  You arent going to damage diddly by pushing and pulling with your fat as..es... errrrr  I mean weight.   Its not tin foil they are made of.  You can't generate enough thrust to even rouse their knowledge of your existence.

I just use the tow bar. I don't push/pull any other part of the plane. I pulled my plane to the fuelling area (which is a slight incline) on day when it was hot so I wouldn't have to deal with a hot start and vowed to never do that again. It was a workout.  

For those of you who feel so strongly about the fragility of your prop by all means, don't touch it. For those of you that understand the forces that these machines are designed to operate under, by all means continue to handle your planes reasonably and practically. I strongly suspect that neither group is going to suffer any premature prop maintenance; although one group may have to suffer through a bit of self righteous preaching from the other group with little to no data or reasoning to back up their assertions.   

I'll pop some popcorn and wait to see which is which...

• Like 1

Quote: PilotDerek

I just use the tow bar. I don't push/pull any other part of the plane. I pulled my plane to the fuelling area (which is a slight incline) on day when it was hot so I wouldn't have to deal with a hot start and vowed to never do that again. It was a workout.  

What kind of towbar are you using that can slip out?

The tow bar that slips out is the one which you are pulling very hard upon, also the slippage factor is proprotional to the number of onlookers that can be amused when you fall /stumble backwards about 5 feet and land on your a$$.

Embarassed

By the way, I am physically unable to generate 180 HP at the hub of my Mooney's propeller, nor can I generate the gyroscopic loads of a climbing turn into the wild blue younder.

Where does McCauley say this?  And what does hartzell say?

Quote: allsmiles

You are just plain wrong. Your analysis is very superficial and indicates a lack of understanding of the physics involved. You cannot take a very complex engineered system and discount it the way you and others do just because it's convenient. This is why I take McCauley's advice and not yours! Sorry!   

If it makes you happy though, just continue moving you plane around by the convenient prop! Cool